Author Topic: Wallace rallies past greats  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Wallace rallies past greats
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:34:08 AM »
Wallace rallies past greats
December 20, 2004
Foxsports

THE past Richmond greats calling for the off-field change that never occurred will be welcomed by coach Terry Wallace into the current players' inner-sanctum.

Wallace said yesterday it mattered little that Francis Bourke, Dick Clay and other prominent ex-Tigers backed the beaten Charles Macek-led group in the messy board election battle.

"Those guys, for sure (will be welcomed back). (Nick) Daffy is another one who was pretty strong in his words, too," Wallace said yesterday.

"Matthew Knights also. I mean, those guys, they are Richmond.

"It is their club, and I want them to feel part of it."

President Clinton Casey's ticket scored a resounding victory in the drawn-out power battle, with all nine members registering more votes than the highest-polled Macek contender (Bryan Wood).

"There was a really strong push from the past players that they wanted change and one thing I am really hoping to come out of all of this is that everyone accepts the decision that has been made, and jump on board," Wallace said.

"You look at a club like Carlton. You go into the rooms at Carlton and you have got champions standing around and it always has a really good, powerful feel about the footy club.

"We have got those sort of people at our club and we don't want to lose them to the club, and I reckon that is really important.

"I am one for a busy room. I'm not one who likes to lock it all down and not let anyone in.

"I reckon it is important to look around and see and feel a bit of history, a bit of feel about the footy club.

"I am hoping those people - and a lot of them were fairly vocal, and that is fine - jump back on board for the right reasons."

Under Wallace, the Tigers have introduced a player mentoring system, where former Tigers will be invited to assist listed players.

Nearly 40 past players recently attended the opening mentor session.

"They can have a relationship between themselves, the listed player with the past player, and so when those past players walk in to the room, they know they are wanted," Wallace said.

It is expected Bourke, and others who were pushing Macek's cause, will be asked for their input in to the scheme.

"The end result is that everyone is united behind the decision made at the election," Wallace said.

"It was the strongest vote ever and it was solid in so far as which way the vote went.

"Whether people like or they don't like the decision, it is a mid-term decision, a three-year decision, so I am hoping we can all get on with what this decision allows us to get on with."

Greg Miller topped the poll, with nearly 9000 of about 13,000 registered votes.

While the inclusion of Miller, the club's football director, on the Casey ticket was controversial from a conflict of interest perspective, it was considered to be decisive in the eyes of voters.

Although Miller believes he can work as a board member and a club employee beneath chief executive Steven Wright, he is understood to be considering his long-term options. One possibility being canvassed by directors was Miller, some time next season, relinquishing his board position to former Tiger Rex Hunt.

Herald Sun

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...4-23211,00.html
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Wallace rallies past greats
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:43:13 AM »
"I am hoping those people - and a lot of them were fairly vocal, and that is fine - jump back on board for the right reasons."

What I was trying to say in the "Election result" topic. Terry Wallace just says it better in less words. :)

It makes me feel good that our club is going about everything  the right way.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 10:19:40 AM »
This is why Casey's team won.

They appointed a professional and that's all that mattered in the end.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 11:55:23 AM »
Although Miller believes he can work as a board member and a club employee beneath chief executive Steven Wright, he is understood to be considering his long-term options. One possibility being canvassed by directors was Miller, some time next season, relinquishing his board position to former Tiger Rex Hunt.

Heard Casey say on radio yesterday that, with the nine Directors being elected at the one time (and given that 3 Directors need to go up for re-election each year), there is a meeting today, at which it will be decided which Directors are up for re-election after 1, 2 and 3 years. 

So, I reckon the chances are that Miller could take one of the 1 year terms and possibly stand down next year.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:56:52 PM »
Heard Casey say on radio yesterday that, with the nine Directors being elected at the one time (and given that 3 Directors need to go up for re-election each year), there is a meeting today, at which it will be decided which Directors are up for re-election after 1, 2 and 3 years. 

So, I reckon the chances are that Miller could take one of the 1 year terms and possibly stand down next year.

I think Casey said the president (which is him) would be one of the full 3-year directors.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »
It’s a rare situation MT.  I don't think it was actually clarified as to how things would be decided. So don’t know how they arrive at who stays for 1, 2 or 3 years and if they need to follow any guidelines in respect to length of time Directors have been on the Board.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 06:00:14 PM »
It’s a rare situation MT.  I don't think it was actually clarified as to how things would be decided. So don’t know how they arrive at who stays for 1, 2 or 3 years and if they need to follow any guidelines in respect to length of time Directors have been on the Board.

According to the constitution TS as all nine were elected on the same day they need to either volunteer who gets what or draw straws.

8.1.1   Subject to the provisions of these Articles and Article 14 the management of the Club shall be vested in the Board which shall consist of nine members of the Board (including the President, Vice President and the Treasurer) and at each Annual General Meeting one-third of the members shall retire from office and be eligible for re-election. The members of the Board to retire each year shall be those longest in current office since their last election; as between members elected on the same day, those to retire shall be determined by agreement amongst themselves or, failing such agreement, by lot.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 04:18:42 AM »
Will be interesting, but the most important thing, is that this board will be continually under the microscope.

THEY WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE.

I expect Casey will take a one year option (i.e up for re-election but most likely quit) if he cannot turn the ship around.

I think he and the board can do it

CC got my vote, so prove me right...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »
Agree LT and we as members must use our right to vote to make sure the board is and remians accountable. Hopefully now that many members have voted this time around they will do so in the future. It's our Club after all :thumbsup.