Author Topic: Houli and Miller media conference  (Read 1114 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Houli and Miller media conference
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Bachar Houli reveals his heart was set on Tigers

* AAP
    * December 08, 2010 2:21PM

Richmond recruits Brad Miller and Bachar Houli at Punt Rd. Picture: Ellen Smith Source: Herald Sun

RICHMOND recruit Bachar Houli says new Essendon coach James Hird had a futile mission trying to talk him out of quitting the Bombers.

Houli had a much-publicised falling out with Essendon during the 2010 season.

By the time he had a meeting with Hird, Houli had already made up his mind to head to Richmond, which snapped him up with pick No.3 in yesterday's pre-season draft.

Houli, 22, told Melbourne radio last night he was "very upset" by his lack of opportunities at Essendon last season.

However, the midfielder was more upbeat today, saying he had a positive relationship with former Bombers coach Matthew Knights.

"I had a chat with James Hird. It was basically after I've made up my mind I wanted to secure my career at Richmond," Houli said at Punt Rd.

"We had a little chat about how I fitted into his team. But I had already made up my mind and I respected James Hird as a great and I heard what he had to say.

"I never had an argument with Matthew Knights.

"He was very, very supportive. People might assume there was something going between me and Matthew, but our relationship was awesome.

"Four years in the system, it feels like I've started all over again (at Richmond). A fresh start, it's definitely what I needed.

"For me now, I really want to concentrate on my future.

"You always want to play for one club but now things have happened and the opportunity has opened up here at Tigerland."

Ex-Demon Miller has high hopes to add to his tally of 133 AFL games but says his main role with Richmond will be to mentor their young group of forwards led by Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt.

Taken as a mature-age rookie, Miller had been training with the Tigers for six weeks before this week's draft and he was confident he would find a new home at Punt Rd.

The 27-year-old said he jumped at the chance Richmond had offered to him to extend his career and he was keen to repay the club's faith.

"To look back, it's just going to offer more hurdles. I'm just going to look forward," Miller said.

"I know I've got the skills and the ability to make it at this level."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bachar-houli-reveals-his-heart-was-set-on-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1225967664689

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Houli and Miller media conference
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Relationship with Knights 'awesome': Houli
By Mic Cullen
Wed 08 Dec, 2010

RICHMOND recruit Bachar Houli says he never had an issue with former Essendon coach Matthew Knights, despite struggling to get a game under him.

Houli played 26 games for the Bombers over four years, but told Essendon at season's end that he wanted to continue his career at Punt Rd.

The Tigers selected him with pick No.3 in Tuesday's NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

The 22-year-old's five matches this season saw him averaging 20 disposals and five marks per game, along with five tackles.

It was widely assumed that he had fallen out with the coach, but at his first media conference in yellow and black he denied any rift, saying Knights was always clear about why he was being sent back to play in the VFL.

"Not once have I ever had an argument with Matthew Knights," he said at Punt Rd on Wednesday.

"He was very, very supportive - people might assume that there was something going on between me and Matthew, but our relationship was awesome.

"I had two or three meetings with him during the year, and it was all positive, it was all about going back and developing in the areas that I had to improve.

"We were on the positive side all the way, and I had to go back to the VFL and work on those little areas and it went from there."

Houli also met with new Essendon coach James Hird, who was installed after the Bombers sacked Knights with two years remaining on his contract, but admitted that it was simply a courtesy.

"I had a chat with James Hird, but it was basically after I made my decision that I wanted to come to Richmond," Houli said.

"We had just a little chat about where he saw me in his gameplan, and how I fitted in to his team, but like I said, I already had made up my mind, but I respected James Hird as a great and had to hear what he had to say."

Former Melbourne forward Brad Miller, taken in Tuesday's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, echoed Houli's delight at being selected by the Tigers.

"It was a real surprise - I had started preparing for life after footy, and then all of a sudden the call came and I was ecstatic," the 27-year-old said.

"I'd had a past relationship with Craig [Cameron, Richmond's general manager of football, who was previously at the Demons] and he gave me a call and I jumped at it.

"I'm really, really thrilled, and I just can't wait to try and repay some of the faith that he's shown."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106050/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
Houli brings Islam to Tigers
08/12/2010 1:33 PM
Angus Morgan
Sportal

"For me it's basically the understanding of where I come from, about my faith."

"The best thing is when everyone's ears open, their eyes open, they want to learn and want to hear about where I come from and what I do on a daily basis."

"That is the biggest challenge."

Houli said he was pleased to have sparked some interest in his background from team-mates during the club's recent pre-season camp in New Zealand.

"We had a get together, a few boys sitting around the table asking me questions," he said.

"That's what it's all about, making people understand where I come from and what true faith that I believe in is."

Full article at:
http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/houli-brings-islam-to-tigers-104368

Pics from the press conference:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=264783&id=298686323275&l=a75819094c

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
I like Houli, am excited about the delivery he will give to the forwardline, run down the wings, tackles in contests and goal kicking capabilities but I'm not a big fan of anyone trying to convert others to anything through over zealous behaviour or preaching. I don't mind what people believe or do personally but it's the whole 'converting' that annoys me. I'm sure I'm reading more into his quotes than is there but I just hope he is better know for his exploits onfield rather than his belief's off-field.  :-\

Stripes

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »

I'm sure I'm reading more into his quotes than is there.

Correct.  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »