Author Topic: Which of our rookies will be promoted prior to round 1?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Which of our rookies will be promoted prior to round 1?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
I think it's pretty silly to expect a 2nd year 198cm key forward with shoulder injury history to play a full season anyway

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »
And here is why it's a crock, if you recruit Miller as insurance you admit you have a possible problem area at Key Forward.
But you don't recruit a Key Forward in the draft to fix the problem long term?    ???

This is like insuring your house but not putting locks on the doors or insuring against fire but not cleaning back the undergrowth around the house.

gerkin greg

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
It's actually nothing like that at all

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
And here is why it's a crock, if you recruit Miller as insurance you admit you have a possible problem area at Key Forward.
But you don't recruit a Key Forward in the draft to fix the problem long term?    ???

This is like insuring your house but not putting locks on the doors or insuring against fire but not cleaning back the undergrowth around the house.

I thought we recruited Miller as a stopgap until Post/Griff/Vickery are ready to fill that role.

And as a mentor for the three of them as well.

And as backup if Jack is injured.

:thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 07:05:08 AM »
Be OReally interesting to follow the Irish lad's progress this year. Showed a bit I thought last season.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 08:45:56 AM »
Be OReally interesting to follow the Irish lad's progress this year. Showed a bit I thought last season.

Agree MM.  I really liked what I saw from him last season, especially when you consider he is from a non-AFL background.  More improvement like that and he could be a real surprise bonus for us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
For our future I hope it's Contin and another youngster like O'Reilly but reality says it'll be Miller  :P. If it's both Miller and Hislop then  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
Contin may turn out ok but I rate Hicks way in front of him at this stage. He has sure one-touch ball handling, speed, excellent goal sense and keeps his feet. If he bulks up a bit I think he might be another midfield option. For now a classy small forward.

Contin has a solid frame, which Hicks doesn't. In the games I've seen Contin play (mostly Coburg reserves games) he seems to be a workhorse who likes it in close. Might be one of those players who gets the job done inconspicuously because I was surprised when I saw his possession count from some of those games.

I think the coaches like the way Hislop goes about it but he might need to get VFL matches under his belt to show he's ok since his knee op, so my guess is Hicks and Miller promoted prior to round 1.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

gerkin greg

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
Contin has outstanding vision. Rarely disposes to a teammate in a poor position.

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
I'm surprised hicks hasn't had a vote yet. I was a whisker off picking him but went for contin & radar o'reilly.