Author Topic: Time to rediscover that fighting spirit, says Tiger (West Australian)  (Read 584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Time to rediscover that fighting spirit, says Tiger
Steve Butler
The West Australian
March 21, 2011

Aching from what Daniel Connors has described as an un-Richmond-like era, the Tigers have vowed to tear into Carlton to start the new season at the MCG on Thursday night.

Connors said trawling past the club's honour boards at its redeveloping Punt Road headquarters had given him a respectful admiration for past achievements.

But being out of the premiership limelight for three decades was no longer acceptable.

He said the journey back to respect would start against the Blues, who have thrashed the Tigers in the official openings to the past two seasons.

"It has to be a better result this year, we'll have a good crack and catch a few of the boys off guard, I reckon," Connors said.

"We've got to start to turn the tide and stamp ourselves to show everyone how serious Richmond are. It hurts that other sides haven't feared us, but that's our own fault and we need to earn our respect back.

"The best way to do that is by playing the hard Richmond footy we've been known for in the past. We're a proud club and we've been a very successful club, but the last 30 years have been un-Richmond-like.

"Its time to turn it back to the old Richmond and create our own his- tory. There's a lot of passionate people who want to see this club do well and it's up to us to make it happen."

Connors, who is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2012, believed a building unity among Tiger teammates would underpin their improvement this season.

"I love the Richmond footy club, I love everyone there and I really enjoy playing footy for them," he said. "But it's time to take some big steps forward and our members are going to see some big improvement to show we're heading in the right direction.

"We're a very close group at Richmond with no real divide and everyone is good mates. Hopefully that starts to show on the field."

Injury concerns at Carlton have opened the door for the Tigers. The Blues have lost Ryan Houlihan and Paul Bower is unlikely to play. With Michael Jamison suspended, the Blues now look thin in defence.

Eddie Betts has carried a minor injury but trained on Saturday and will play against the Tigers.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/9045163/time-to-rediscover-that-fighting-spirit-says-tiger/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Time to rediscover that fighting spirit, says Tiger (West Australian)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
O Dear