Author Topic: Paul Roos says Tigers need to pull together (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1520 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Paul Roos says Tigers need to pull together (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
I HAD an interesting discussion with a Richmond supporter earlier this week.

This fan wasn't interested in the gulf that exists between football's haves and the have nots. He just wanted to know how Richmond could possibly be so bad for so long.

How, in the era of the salary cap and national draft, could his beloved Tigers constantly miss the finals.

He reminded me that they had played in only two finals series since the 1982 Grand Final ... the competition's worst strike rate.

I answered that in the past three decades the Tigers had not managed to get the club's whole structure right.

Richmond has had 13 coaches since it lost the 1982 Grand Final to Carlton, which shows there is far more to a club's success than blaming the coach.

It's an understatement to say stability has not been a Richmond strong point.

Changes at board, administration and coaching levels have far outweighed the great wins.

A board has to set the club's direction and make the key appointments and hopefully generate revenue.

But the board also has to keep its emotions in check and make rational decisions in tough times. This is where the Richmond board has struggled.

As important as the board is, it's the club's chief executive or general manager who controls the day to day operations.

It's possible to have - as it was in my time as Sydney coach - a chief executive who is primarily responsible for the commercial side of your business. A savvy business-oriented leader who can leave the football department to a strong football person. In my mind that's a winning combination.

For Richmond to improve, chief executive Brendon Gale and general manager of football, Craig Cameron, must understand their own roles and trust in each other to carry them out.

Brendon's main role is to shore up sponsorships, members and drive the revenue needed to be a powerhouse.

One thing he has overseen that I will never agree with is selling home games. I disagree that a club should grab the short-term revenue and the team should beat Gold Coast and Port anyway.

The core business is to win games of football. If that happens everything else will look after itself.

Meanwhile, Cameron should be responsible for running the football department, providing a conduit between the coach and the CEO and the coach and the board.

Arguably his most important role is to shield his coach from any distractions, leaving Damien Hardwick to focus solely on the important coaching issues.

One clear area that has stopped Richmond from being successful, particularly recently, is recruiting.

Every club has hits and misses, but the mistakes can be catastrophic.

Richmond's most glaring miss came in the 2004-05 national drafts, when it had seven top 25 picks: Brett Deledio (1), Richard Tambling (4), Danny Meyer (12), Adam Pattinson (16), Dean Polo (20), Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (8) and Cleve Hughes (24).

Only Deledio remains at the club.

To add further pain, in 2004 Hawthorn took three players with picks 2, 5 and 7: Jarryd Roughead, Lance Franklin and Jordan Lewis.

Without having had any insight to Richmond's inner sanctum over the past 30 years it is impossible to pinpoint exactly why this club has struggled more than most. However, from the outside it does appear that the club has never managed to assemble the right key personnel all at the one time.

Football is still about quality people understanding their roles and working in harmony to win a premiership.

If the Tigers now have those roles filled then that elusive success shouldn't be too far away.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/paul-roos-says-tigers-need-to-pull-together/story-fn7si1vl-1226114051422
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Paul Roos says Tigers need to pull together (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »
Pull together....lets hope it's not in the change rooms... :police:
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
Soggy Biscuit?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
The 04 and 05 draft disasters, and the selling of home games. Have to agree with Roosy 100% on those points :thumbsup

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »
Roosy is right. But his not really saying anything ground breaking we didn't already know.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
I rate Roos's opinion, however this is hindsight review (again).

How about some forthright analysis on the current (2010 to 2012) state of the key issues facing the club.

Sick of the piffle from the club & the media.

Ox

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:44:22 AM »
I HAD an interesting discussion with a Richmond supporter earlier this week.

Interesting because he could actually speak?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
sex sells

tigers are losers

they keep losing

have sex , be happy  :cheers

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »
Paul roos coached a club that sold it's home games indefinately.

He also coached a club that even when nearly broke, knew that they never had to worry about having money to spend on the football dept because the AFL would help out.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
Roos and Longmire used to pull together. A man and his horse.!

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
I rate Roos's opinion, however this is hindsight review (again).

How about some forthright analysis on the current (2010 to 2012) state of the key issues facing the club.

Sick of the piffle from the club & the media.

Agreed Darth.
We know 04/05 was a disaster. Would like to see some analysis on the 08 and 09 draft, take out Vickery and Dusty, and we have Post (26), Hislop (58), Griffiths (19), Astbury (35), Dea (44) and Taylor (51) to look at.

The 08/09 drafts might well turn out to be another 04/05, some people think CC is bullet proof because we didn't trade any of our picks, but we should already know, it's not how many picks you have, it's how you use them!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
Snip! We don't care about other sites and mods  ::).

Back to the topic!