Author Topic: Hard work required for next step: Hardwick (RFC)  (Read 906 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hard work required for next step: Hardwick (RFC)
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
Hard work required for next step
richmondfc.com.au
 8:56 PM Tue 13 Sep, 2011

The 2011 season was considered an improvement, according to Damien Hardwick, but there is plenty of hard work ahead for the Tigers.

Speaking at the Jack Dyer Medal presentation evening at Crown Palladium, Hardwick said his motivation for being part of the finals was as strong as ever.

“I watched the first week of the finals last weekend and now, more than ever, I crave for this Club to be a part of the September action,” he said.

“I know our members and supporters feel the same way. Even more importantly, I know the players want it as much as we do.”

But the Tigers’ coach knows success is never handed over without hard work.

“There is a burning desire at this football club to reach our end goal, but it won’t just happen.  It requires an absolute commitment from all of us, and that will underpin a very clear plan that we will not deviate from, under any circumstances.

“Our players must come back and attack the pre-season like never before. We can’t hope success comes our way, we must continue to prepare in a way that makes it inevitable.”

The Tigers won eight and a half games in 2011, up from six in 2010, but Hardwick said the win-loss column was not the sole marker of the team’s improvement.

“The emergence of Ty Vickery, Alex Rance, Robbie Nahas and Dylan Grimes was very pleasing. The challenge for these guys is to improve even further in 2012 and beyond,” he said.

“The first seasons of Bachar Houli, Shaun Grigg and Brad Miller in Richmond colours were terrific. They will have learned a lot from the past 12 months and become even more important for us in 2012.

“Our 2010 draftees - Reece Conca, Jake Batchelor and Brad Helbig, all showed they have the capacity to be long-term players at this club.  They now know what it takes to play AFL football.”

Hardwick also acknowledged the support of Richmond’s loyal fan base, in a year which yielded record membership.

“I want to thank the Tiger Army for their on-going support of this football club. This Club has a support base that is the envy of so many other clubs.  Rest assured, we don’t take it for granted,” he said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/123365/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hard work required for next step: Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
Damien Hardwick's full speech from the B&F night (a few Jake King references in there as well lol)

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/388562/damien-hardwick-speech/

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
Damien Hardwick's full speech from the B&F night (a few Jake King references in there as well lol)

Yeah the references to Jake a very funny indeed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
Not sure where to put this.  Saw the new turf being laid out instead of the cricket pitch in the middle of Punt Road Oval early this afternoon.  We might be able to have actual centre bounces on grass, instead of a cricket pitch.  :o

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Don't worry, she'll be Jake (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

Yeah the references to Jake a very funny indeed
Don't worry, she'll be Jake
By Chris de Kretser and Daryl Timms
Herald-Sun
Thurs 15 SEP 2011, Page 82

THERE were times during the season when Richmond coach Damien Hardwick's mother didn't have time to talk to him and it was all Jake King's fault.

Hardwick told the audience at Tuesday's club championship night at Crown that he rang his mother but she told him she couldn't talk because she was bidding online for a Jake King guernsey.

"Bloody Jake King,'' Hardwick joked.

During the presentation night a montage of players was shown on the screen accompanied by Lady Gaga's The Edge of Glory song.

Since 1994 the Tigers have been on the edge of glory six times when they finished ninth.