Author Topic: AFL review grand final entertainment (SNF)  (Read 1678 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL review grand final entertainment (SNF)
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:06 PM »
AFL review grand final entertainment

By Tim Clarke
SportsNewsFirst
6 February 2012 08:02PM EST

THE AFL have admitted they are looking seriously at the scope and budget given over to entertainment on Grand Final day, following the embarrassment of Meat Loaf’s out-of-tune turn at the MCG.

After Madonna wowed a worldwide audience during the half-time break of the Super Bowl, broad comparisons were being drawn with the AFL’s version last season, when the veteran American rocker inflicted a below-par performance on the near 100,000 crowd.

Even AFL boss Andrew Demetriou – who admitted to being unabashed fan in the build-up to the final – said the show had been a let-down, particularly given Meat Loaf's reputed $600,000 fee.

And now the league is reviewing its entire take on the entertainment on grand final day, said operations boss Adrian Anderson.

“It (the Super Bowl half-time show) was an amazing show, just awesome, the set and the scale of it and it really is a huge part of their day – I know our guys are having a look at the entertainment on grand final day and the role it plays,” Anderson said.

“You never are going to replicate something like that, so the question should be 'What role should it play in our game?', because in the NFL it really is a key part of the event.

“What I would be really interested in is the extent that people really think entertainment is an important part of Grand Final day.

“From a personal point of view and from a football point of view the game is always the absolute key to the whole thing, but different people have a different views.

“It will be something good for us to understand better what people really want, and whether they think entertainment has to be a centrepiece to that or not.”

After being almost universally slated for his appearance, Meat Loaf hit back at the AFL labelling them “jerks”, vowing to convince other artists not to perform at the grand final, and claiming not enough time for a sound check.

Anderson said the fallout from the musical build up was a big irritation.

“We saw one of the great grand finals and all people seemed to want to talk about was a guy playing music … before the game,” Anderson told 3AW.

“I know the guys looking at this will consider the role of entertainment, and are having a wide ranging look at the way the day is constructed and will come up with some good answers."

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/02/06/afl-review-grand-final-entertainment/

Dubstep Dookie

Re: AFL review grand final entertainment (SNF)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
It will still end up being some lame babyboomer horsepoot artists like Credence, LRB or Wendy Matthews.

May as well bloody drag Frente out by the taco.

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:50 AM »
Should get Slayer.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:57:27 AM »
Get rid of it altogether. Seriously, what difference will it make?
Push up!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
It will still end up being some lame babyboomer horsepoot artists like Credence, LRB or Wendy Matthews.

It wont be the original LRB, under that name anyway.

They sold the rights to the name to a dude in the US who now makes a $mil a year travelling the country doing their covers.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:14 AM »
Nothing wrong with having some pre-game entertainment but instead of wasting money on trying to out do the NRL with an international singer just get a good aussie band instead. Im sure they wouldn't cost $600,000 either.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »
just get a good aussie band instead.

Do we have one?

:outtahere :outtahere

:eyebrow

:juggle
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
What about a comedian - A good one like Frank Woodley 'Dude is hilarious and plays the guitar'
I have been to lots of Grand finals and I tell ya not many are memorable for the entertainment.
Need to get the action back out on the ground also, stuck in a corner just don't work.

How about Paul Kelly - Then Frank - Then Up there Cazaly - Cheapest option and a lot better than the rubbish they have been coming up with.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
I could probably knock an act together for free beer and food during the game.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »

HAHA !  FRENTE!  and by the taco no less! 
Lots of people name their swords......