Author Topic: Tigers keeping it cool / Newman interview 26/3 (afl site)  (Read 533 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers keeping it cool / Newman interview 26/3 (afl site)
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »
Keeping cool
By Paul Daffey
afl.com.au
Mon 26 Mar, 2012

RICHMOND captain Chris Newman has tried to play down expectations of his team leading into the much-ballyhooed match between the Tigers and Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night.

Newman admitted on Monday that Richmond had been more impressive over the summer compared to recent seasons. The Tigers' scalps included Geelong and Hawthorn while Carlton failed to win any of its five games.

But the 28-year-old suggested all that would be forgotten when the team's line up for their annual round one blockbuster.

"It's obviously a big game," he said. "The boys will be pretty nervous before their first hit-out.

"But it's not the be-all and end-all. It's a long season.

"We're just looking forward to getting the butterflies out and getting the season under way."

When asked whether the Blues would feel extra pressure because of their poor pre-season, Newman said he doubted it.

"I don’t think so. We haven't won a first round for a few years now.

"I think the pressure will be on us to perform."

Richmond and Carlton have played five matches since striking a deal to play each other in the opening round.

Carlton has won four of those games. Richmond's victory was in 2008 when Matthew Richardson kicked five goals in a best-on-ground performance.

Carlton goes into this match without regular full-back Michael Jamison being able to cover Richmond's current full-forward and cult hero, Jack Riewoldt.

The Blues will also miss Nick Duigan from its defence. Forward Andrew Walker and ruckman Rob Warnock have likewise been ruled out, whereas Richmond is going into the match with virtually a full list.

Newman said he expected the Blues to be able to cover for their injuries.

"They've got a few out but the players coming in are just as good.

"We feel we're a good chance. No doubt they'll think they have a good chance, too."

The Tigers are well-placed to aim for their first finals series since 2001.

"My first year was 2001," Newman said. "We made a preliminary final.

"I wasn't a part of that, but I got to experience the hype and groundswell of support from the Richmond supporters.

"I definitely want that again for this club. That's what we're striving towards. I hope it's not too far away."

The Tigers go into the season with coach Damien Hardwick in a secure position. His recently revised contract takes him through to the end of the 2014 season.

"He really deserves the club's show of faith," Newman said. "He's put in a lot of hard work.

"The boys really respect him.  He's got a really good relationship with the playing group. He's definitely the right man for the job."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131423/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers keeping it cool / Newman interview 26/3 (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »
Here's the video of Newy's interview/press conference today ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/433609/default.aspx

dwaino

Re: Tigers keeping it cool / Newman interview 26/3 (afl site)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
If you closed your eyes you could imagine Dimma doing that conference. 'Quality side,' 'it was a shame,' 'we're on the right path,' 'really good, yeah,' 'pleasing.' etc etc  ;D