Author Topic: I was Bombers' scapegoat: Houli (afl site)  (Read 2225 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I was Bombers' scapegoat: Houli (afl site)
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
'I was Bombers' scapegoat'
By Adam McNicol
Tue 26 Jun, 2012

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139633/default.aspx#embedvideoplayer

RICHMOND defender Bachar Houli says he quit Essendon because he believed he was being made a scapegoat for the club's poor performances during Matthew Knights' final year as coach.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with AFL multicultural round ambassador Leigh Montagna, Houli has revealed how frustrated he became with the Bombers' selection policy.

"I got my body to where I wanted it to be, and I was doing everything right in the VFL, and my performances in the VFL were showing that I was good enough to play at the highest level," Houli explained.

"Even (some Essendon) players were getting irritated about why I wasn't playing, and they were raising the question, 'Why isn't he playing?' (I still) don't know the reason."

The first practising Muslim to line up in an AFL match, Houli played only 26 games for Essendon during his four seasons at the club.

The 24-year-old says the final straw was when Knights dropped him back to the VFL after the Bombers lost to Carlton by 76 points in round 19, 2010.

Houli had gathered 18 possessions during the game.

"I guess I was one of the better players on the field, but I felt I was the scapegoat," he recalled.

"It was a real tough time, and I sat down with my manager and I said, 'Things aren't right here.'

"He knew, because he had a sense that things weren't right. He said, 'What do you want to do? I said, 'Let's seek another opportunity somewhere else."

Houli ended up joining the Tigers during the 2010 player trading period.

"I wanted to stay in Melbourne, and Richmond came up with the best offer … and Richmond were the best fit for the second part of my career," he said.

"Thankfully, they've provided me with a great opportunity. Last year I played 22 games and this year I've played every game so far."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139633/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: I was Bombers' scapegoat: Houli (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Best part about this is that we took advantage and were attractive to opposition players as a new home  :thumbsup Another clear sign that the tides are turning....

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
Maybe it was the defensive side of your game Bach? Improving but still needs some work too.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »

The 24-year-old says the final straw was when Knights dropped him back to the VFL after the Bombers lost to Carlton by 76 points in round 19, 2010.

Houli had gathered 18 possessions during the game.

"I guess I was one of the better players on the field, but I felt I was the scapegoat," he recalled.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139633/default.aspx

It was a bizarre decision by Knighta to drop Houli considering he was in their best players the week before also. I've always had a feeling that this decision contributed to Matty's demise at the Bombers.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
Essendon could have got a mid-range pick for him but as usual they got deluded at the trade table wanting a 2nd round pick for a player they hardly played and when he did play they continually dropped him no matter how well he played in the senior. Thanks Bombers for the freebie in the PSD  :thumbsup  :lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »
Maybe it was the defensive side of your game Bach? Improving but still needs some work too.

Ya.squibby should worry more about training less talking.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
Essendon could have got a mid-range pick for him but as usual they got deluded at the trade table wanting a 2nd round pick for a player they hardly played and when he did play they continually dropped him no matter how well he played in the senior. Thanks Bombers for the freebie in the PSD  :thumbsup  :lol.

No doubt he's been a good PSD pickup despite some flaws in his game.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »
i love the bloke and take inspiration from the integrity he has for him and his beliefs.
Having said that  ;D ,
He needs to take it up another level  from now and a year.....
which I i believe he can.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
Reason he wasn't getting a game is because he's got no heart. He showed that in his last game for them. Probably why Knighta dropped him. If he couldn't see the reason why he wasn't getting a game then he's a bit delusional about some of his traits as a player

Decent player but agree with Bents, less talking more training.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »
Reason he wasn't getting a game is because he's got no heart. He showed that in his last game for them. Probably why Knighta dropped him. If he couldn't see the reason why he wasn't getting a game then he's a bit delusional about some of his traits as a player

Decent player but agree with Bents, less talking more training.
As with other similar comments....this is spot on. Get over it Bachar and get on with it.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
A muslim Bomber?
Of course he was going to be a scapegoat......
:outtahere
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
A muslim Bomber?

Woooooaaahhhhh!!  :shh  :lol

I was going to say something about a goat... But that will do it  :police:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
A muslim Bomber?

Woooooaaahhhhh!!  :shh  :lol

I was going to say something about a goat... But that will do it  :police:

:lol