Author Topic: move over iPad windows 8 tablet rocks!!  (Read 962 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
move over iPad windows 8 tablet rocks!!
« on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
Just got myself a Lenovo ThinkPad windows 8 tablet and it is awesome!

Not only can I download apps, I can install programs, plug in a usb stick, external drive or micro SD.
I have office installed, I can transfer files over the network to my NAS via WiFi. I have a digitizer pen for handwritten notes which then convert to text if needed. And if I feel the urge, I can use it in the traditional desktop mode.
I also have a dock which allows me to attach a normal keyboard and mouse.

As part of my job I evaluated 8 different models and the Lenovo was the best by far.
Happy to give more info if anyone is interested.

Posted by my tablet  ;D

Dubstep Dookie

Re: move over iPad windows 8 tablet rocks!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I kind of see windows tablets as a laptop replacements. 

Where would you rate the number and quality of apps at the windows store compare to the apple store and google play?

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
Hey Tiga, could you chuck up a link of it or just post up the model and price. I'm gadget junkie and see myself getting a 2-in-1 on Win8 some time in the future. I was looking at the HP Envys and equivalents, but I'm not really impressed with the Atom processor at all.

Still unsure on how I would use one, but I'll find a way lol. At home I'll use the laptop on the lounge for trolling here, SuperCoach, etc (Toshiba Satellite A500 with an i5 and 4GB RAM and 1GB graphics, a few years old but still doing well), my Sony Android powered 10" tablet in bed, iPhone 4S out and about, and my pride and joy desktop purely for gaming (i5-2500k currently @ stock clock, even with a DH-14 haven't found a need to OC it lol, 8GB ripjaws, 1TB cav. black HDD + 64GB cache/boot SSD, GTX680 2GB). Even have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 sitting here.

Been keen on a 2-in-1 on the conditions it has better specs than my current laptop. Seems like all the ones I've come across are good at being both a tablet and a notebook, but not great at either of them. I love it that they're all on SSD now so the read speeds are great, but no good if the memory, CPU and GPU are poop. So I guess I'm looking to upgrade the laptop, but also have a decent Windows OS tablet to lug around so I can play games and stuff over wifi when I go to the in-laws or whatever.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »
Firstly Dooks, there are plenty of apps but it depends I guess on what kind of apps you are after. Considering Windows 8 Tablets have only been available for such a short space of time compared to iPad and android, the number of apps available is still quite impressive. Also remember though that you are not solely reliant on apps and you can install windows based programs. In January of this year there we 40,000 apps in the windows app store.

dwaino, here is the link for the Tablet I have
http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/products/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-tablet-2/

It is an Atom Z2760 dual core 1.8 Ghz processor but don't bundle it in with the older Atom processors as this generation is far improved. Keep in mind that the focus of Tablets is on portability and therefore battery life and weight are high on the agenda. An i5 tablet won't get the full day operation I am currently getting with this one. I evaluated the HP Envy but the build quality was far inferior to the Lenovo and make sure you stay away from the ASUS, their tablets are crap.
Both of their models I evaluated were flimsy and crashed repeatedly. The Lenovo build quality is first rate. Its solid yet light, It has a rubber rim to prevent it from sliding if leaned against something on an angle and the touch screen responsiveness is excellent. Oh and my model is Pro not RT giving me full windows functionality.

On the fun side, I love using my tablet to control my xBox with the SmartGlass app, being able to view websites with flash is a plus and the 1080p HD Camera (8MP still) is pretty good.

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
Cheers Tiga. Have taken note and will go play with one as soon as I can  :cheers

On the topic of Smartglass, I have it on iPhone but so far all it has been good for is punching in points or DLC codes, and sending ASCII penises to my friends.