Author Topic: Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs (afl site)  (Read 1374 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs (afl site)
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs
By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Friday, May 17, 2013

WHILE Matthew Leuenberger and Daniel Rich grab the headlines, rival clubs are keeping a close eye on the Brisbane Lions' progress in re-contracting four of their talented youngsters.

South Australian Jared Polec and Victorian trio Sam Docherty, Billy Longer and Patrick Karnezis are out of contract at the end of this season and have attracted the interest of clubs in their home states.

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-17/rival-clubs-circle-uncontracted-lion-cubs

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
We're into recruiting from other clubs, if we have a hole and they fit it then go for them.

Longer as a future ruck, might be a better bet than the beanpole we recruited this year, but I don't know.  At least he is heavier at 98kg.  I just don't hold out much for beanpoles in today's game.

Karnezis I saw in the pre season and he can kick and run but is slim and is not a physical player yet.  He got the ball a lot too but his usage was not great, with some work he could be a good player but he's not there yet.  I think he'd be worth getting on potential.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
Just have to be careful here, Brisbane will be keen for revenge after we traded them Andrew "the man who was going to play finals" Raines

dwaino

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
Longer will be the goods and they'll be crazy to lose their first draft pick from 2011.

I don't know if there is much to read into this. Like that other article I put up a few weeks back, they can only afford 95% of their cap or something and are trying to sign Leuy and Rich first. Once those are in stone they'll get onto these blokes.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »
Thing is they will have a new coach by then too, so how will that affect the players.  If they go for a totally dud coach (Wallace anyone?  Brian Royal) and the players know it they'll go home, but if they get Paul Roos not a one will budge, they'll take pay cuts to stay.  I think the new coach will be a factor.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »
Matthew Leuenberger & Zorko have re-signed with the Lions

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-19/luenberger-the-lion
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)