Author Topic: Pettifer draws a maligned in the sand  (Read 1059 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pettifer draws a maligned in the sand
« on: May 14, 2005, 01:29:51 PM »
Richmond's Pettifer draws a maligned in the sand
Chip Le Grand
The Australian
May 14, 2005

THERE are things footballers carry around like luggage. It might be a night of misjudgment at the pub or a mistake behind the wheel. It might be something silly said or done in the heat of a game. Sometimes, the heaviest weight is a well-worn adjective.

For three years, Richmond's Kayne Pettifer has been the much-maligned Kayne Pettifer. Occasionally, for the sake of change, he becomes the oft-maligned Kayne Pettifer. Where some players are magnets for the ball, others are lightning rods for supporter dissent. And no player has been more maligned than Pettifer.

"I'd look on the website and see all the crap I was copping," Pettifer explained yesterday.

"I would pick up a paper and there would be people saying the Tigers had wasted a pick on me. I was just getting bagged all the time. Being a pretty emotional bloke, it hit me hard.

"If I didn't play well I would cop it off the fans and the media and even if I was playing reserves, I would still cop it. It was a pretty tough time."

Like most things at Richmond under coach Terry Wallace, this is starting to change. Pettifer is the first to acknowledge he has a long way to go to realise the potential Richmond spotted in him five years ago. He also admits that had he arrived at Punt Road with a little more aptitude and less attitude, he may not have been so maligned in the first place.

But if Kayne has some ways to travel before he becomes an able AFL player - he was admonished by his coach two weeks ago for lairising in the goalsquare - there are unmistakable signs that the player Richmond supporters love to hate is finding his way into Tigerland hearts.

Former Richmond recruiter Greg Beck selected Pettifer with his club's first pick in the 2000 national draft and still recalls what it was about the Kyabram teenager that set him apart from other footballers his age.

In that year's under-18 national championships, Pettifer was a stand-out; a rare combination of a midfielder with ball-winning skills and a big marking small forward with a nose for a goal.

Yet Beck also recalled the first impression Pettifer made when he arrived at the club. Where the other draftees were a little overwhelmed by their new surroundings, Pettifer had a confidence that bordered on arrogance.

Where the other draftees got down to work, Pettifer declared that he would be the first of his intake to play senior football. As Beck put it this week, "he was a man in a hurry".

"It is fair to say he lost his way a little bit," Beck said. "He worked but I don't think he worked as hard as he should. He always thought he had the ability but on occasion, seemed more worried about his next contract than his form at the time."

Pettifer has spoken to Beck about this and fully agrees. As a highly gifted junior footballer, Pettifer soaked up the rave reviews which accompanied his early draft status. As a country boy freshly arrived in Melbourne, he soaked up more than his share around the city pubs and clubs.

"I thought here we go, I have made it in the AFL," he said. "I wish I could go back in time and work harder. I probably did get a bit ahead of myself at times.

"I had a lot of success in junior footy playing for Victoria and Australia. I had been told that I needed to work hard but there were times when I took the easy option.

"Being a professional athlete, I was probably going out too much and thought I had made it when I was just a borderline player.

"When Terry and his new assistant coaches came in I saw it as a fresh start and a chance to put all that behind me."

Pettifer's great fortune is that Wallace, as senior coach of the Western Bulldogs in 2000, saw him play that year in the national championships and made a similar assessment to Richmond.

In their first meeting after Wallace arrived at Punt Road, the new coach assured Pettifer that he rated him highly and saw a place for him in his first-picked 18.

"He was a player that we looked at seriously when I was coaching the Western Bulldogs to draft at the top end," Wallace said. "He had that quality as an 18-year-old and you don't lose that.

"I didn't know what the circumstances were prior to me being here but I wanted to give him every opportunity of becoming the player that I always thought he would become."

After three years as the much-maligned Kayne Pettifer, this was just what Pettifer needed to hear. But Pettifer believes the turning point came two months later when Wallace, in his pre-Christmas assessment of the playing group, told Pettifer that if the Richmond team was being selected that day, he would not be in it. Pettifer returned to Kyabram for his usual Christmas break and for the first time in his career, ran the local roads ragged.

Seven straight senior appearances to start the 2005 season have consummated Pettifer's changed relationship with his club and its supporters. His best game was Richmond's most recent against Carlton, when he kicked two goals, dished off another to Andrew Krakouer and created a fourth by laying an outstanding tackle.

At age 23 and contracted for this season only, Pettifer is determined not to repeat the mistakes of his early career. He is selling his bachelor's flat along Melbourne's famous Chapel Street strip and has been out drinking only once during the season.

He has a mentor in Matthew Richardson and a checklist of things to do every match which is scrupulously reviewed by Wallace.

And when all this fails, memories of what it is like to be a footballer much maligned.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15278976%255E36035,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Pettifer draws a maligned in the sand
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
Good sides stretch poor sides in depth on the field. While the opposition target the star forward(s) by double teaming, a good 3rd and 4th forward will get under the guard if the quality of the defenders doesn't extend past one or two players. Although Pettifer won't be a champion he is talented skill wise and under Wallace's run and carry gameplan he will get his hands on the footy. At the moment he's doing his job on a HFF by chipping in with a couple of goals each week.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:31:56 PM »
Pettifer has spoken to Beck about this and fully agrees. As a highly gifted junior footballer, Pettifer soaked up the rave reviews which accompanied his early draft status. As a country boy freshly arrived in Melbourne, he soaked up more than his share around the city pubs and clubs.

"I thought here we go, I have made it in the AFL," he said. "I wish I could go back in time and work harder. I probably did get a bit ahead of myself at times.

"I had a lot of success in junior footy playing for Victoria and Australia. I had been told that I needed to work hard but there were times when I took the easy option.

"Being a professional athlete, I was probably going out too much and thought I had made it when I was just a borderline player.

At least Kayne finally decided to listen to what he was being told, as so often, all it takes for a player to turn his career around is to just listen.

Some of the most frustrating players seem to be the naturally gifted and talented, because so often they are the ones who don’t get anywhere near the best out of themselves.  Maybe it’s because everything happens too easily for them from a young age and haven’t really had to work hard to get to the top.

But ability means absolutely nothing, at any high level, without hard work and, for some, it’s probably a shock to the system when all of a sudden they have to do more than just turn up to play at this level.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 06:44:15 PM »
Richmond's next most-improved
9:43:27 AM Thu 2 June, 2005
Angus Morgan
Excluisve to afl.com.au

While Shane Tuck is just about the unanimous choice at Tigerland as the club's most improved player this season, then surely Kayne Pettifer is just a step behind.

A top-ten pick at the 2000 AFL National Draft, Pettifer attracted plenty of debate in his first four seasons among the Tiger faithful about when, or whether, he would fulfill his potential.

The 23 year-old half-forward concedes it's taken a little longer than he'd hoped, but it seems a focus on fitness and the support of new coach Terry Wallace may have done the trick.

"I've improved a lot, but I think I obviously needed to after being very inconsistent in my footy," Pettifer said in an exclusive interview.

"But I've started the season pretty well, sorta flattened out a bit over the last few weeks, but hopefully before the (mid-season) break I can get back to the form I was showing early.

"It's all about being backed-in by the coaches. Terry and his assistants have given me a lot more confidence than I had last year and better roles to play in the forward line.

"I've been getting a bit more responsibility down there and getting on the end of a few which was good with the midfielders helping me out a lot."

After undergoing an ankle reconstruction over the summer, Pettifer made fitness his priority. It was an area the coach also identified as needing attention.

"Terry said he thought I was a smart player, but didn't have the right work ethic across half-forward, so that's been my main target this year, to keep the work rate up instead of drifting in and out getting a few kicks."

One curious feature of Pettifer's form in 2005 is that when he plays well, the Tigers win.

Among the highlights have been his two late goals against Hawthorn which helped the Tigers to their first victory for the season in round two; his four-goal bag in the comeback against Port Adelaide; and his 18-disposal, six-mark, two-goal contribution in the round seven rout of Carlton.

Conversely, he recorded single figure stats in the losses to Geelong and St Kilda, and failed to kick a goal against the Demons last week.

Pettifer knows how important it will be for him to make the most of every opportunity against ladder-leaders West Coast at the MCG on Saturday in the absence of Nathan Brown, not just to score a much-needed win, but to demonstrate that the Tigers can prosper without their leading forward.

"We'll probably get Greg Stafford back this week to play out of the goalsquare, so we've got a very good replacement," Pettifer said.

"Obviously having Browny's silky skills out of the team is going to be a loss and his goalkicking ability, but we've got the likes of Krakouer and Wayne Campbell and 'Staff'' and Brett Deledio down there, so we've still got the firepower.

"Obviously Browny will be a massive loss and he's the vice-captain, but the boys will fill the void and hopefully kick a couple more."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=206733

Moi

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 07:39:44 PM »
Pretty silly having the players riding motocrosse??? bikes at Rod Laver arena today, with Kayne falling off his bike.  Don't care about Petticoat lol, but Deledio was doing the same. Asking for trouble!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 11:20:43 PM »
Pretty silly having the players riding motocrosse??? bikes at Rod Laver arena today, with Kayne falling off his bike.  Don't care about Petticoat lol, but Deledio was doing the same. Asking for trouble!

Agree Moi. We've got enough guys with fractures this year  :(. Fortunately Pettifer only copped a couple of scratches. Imagine how ticked off Terry would be if he had lost another midsized forward due to motorcross after what happened to Browny :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd