Author Topic: Shane Edwards to embrace Dreamtime clash against Essendon (Herald-Sun)  (Read 328 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Shane Edwards to embrace Dreamtime clash against Essendon

Scott Gullan
    May 21, 2013 10:00PM

SHANE Edwards generally likes to keep a low profile but this week he's proudly shoving Jack, Cotch and Lids aside to take centre stage.

"A lot of the guys will joke that I will hog the limelight during Indigenous Round but there is no one else who can and I'm more than happy to be doing it by myself," he says.

Edwards is the Tigers only Aboriginal player who will line-up against Essendon on Saturday night in the Dreamtime clash at the MCG.

And this year's game has more meaning for the 24-year-old after he travelled to Alice Springs in February and tracked down his family heritage.

"It was a huge experience," he said. "I found out a lot and my brother is in the same boat as well, he found out a lot about our family and now I think everyone has a better understanding.

"The game is a big spectacle and every year you remember how big it is but when you're a part of it and you run out, hear the national anthem, it's actually a lot bigger than what you remember. It surprises you every time."

Edwards now understands how he can help others and is enjoying his mentor role at the Korin Gamadji Institute, the indigenous learning centre at Punt Rd.

"It's about creating pathways," he said. "Whenever I help out I just share my story, how I got here and what I had to do plus also what it takes to be an elite athlete.

"It's a good insight for them about exercise, diet, education and we talk about being respectful to teachers and your family. That's mainly what I talk about."

He is hopeful that the institute and its programs will help stop talented footballers from falling through the cracks of the AFL system.

"I came here at the end of 2006 and the place has changed so much. We had a lot of unfulfilled indigenous talent that these programs would have helped so much.

"It's a shame it's happening now and not back then but at the same time I can't wait to see where it's going to be in 10 years.

"I came from the suburbs of Adelaide and I found it hard to move to Melbourne, just with stuff like the trams, yet you have got indigenous kids coming from the bush and coming from completely different areas.

"You have to get used to that and also be 100 per cent dedicated to the game while learning a completely different life, so that's why this institute is going to be so handy for every team."

Edwards was joined by ruckman Ivan Maric to model this year's Dreamtime jumper which was designed by local artist Nathan Patterson with the artwork depicting the Kulin Nation.

Maric felt privileged to play in his first Dreamtime game last year.

"I just think Aboriginal people are such an important part of Australian history," he said. "I loved playing the game and it felt like a bit more than footy.

"Maybe I'm a bit different, I'm passionate about the people. I was brought up that family and culture were important to me so I can relate to them."

Edwards, who plays his 118th game on Saturday night, is enjoying another consistent season, featuring more prominently in the Tigers midfield rotation.

"I think not feeling like a stand-out with size (is helping)," he says. "I don't really stand out as the skinny kid as much anymore.

"What I have improved on this year personally is that my bad games aren't as bad as they have been in the past.

"It's about standard of performance, you can't just have a really bad game, your worst still has to be acceptable."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-shane-edwards-to-embrace-dreamtime-clash-against-essendon/story-fndv8t7m-1226647760264#mm-breached

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
"What I have improved on this year personally is that my bad games aren't as bad as they have been in the past."

Yes Shane I agree!!! That's where you have improved, keep it up!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"