Author Topic: Browny last night on the Footy Show  (Read 863 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny last night on the Footy Show
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:35:14 AM »
Brown avoided tears for family
By Jane Holroyd
The Age
June 3, 2005

Richmond'S Nathan Brown said a combination of shock and not wanting to upset his family was the reason he was able to maintain composure and avoid breaking down in tears in the moments after his leg was horrifically snapped in two places during last Friday night's game against Melbourne.

"I saw my leg and I didn't really want to show any pain because I was thinking about (how) people at home - my girlfriend - wouldn't want me to be crying (because) then she'd cry and my mum and my dad," Brown told Channel Nine's The Footy Show from his hospital bed.

"I thought I'd try and keep a brave face and wait until I got inside behind the closed doors."

Brown said he expected to be back training for the pre-season. "(The leg) is still very swollen - the whole bottom of the leg is black, so the doctor is not sure when he wants to let me out. I can't walk on it for six weeks and I can't start running on it for four months. Once pre-season comes around, I'll be able to start full running and I'll be right to go by round one."

Brown would not be drawn on whether Channel Nine had replayed the footage of his injury too often. "I guess some people want to see it and some people don't."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/02/1117568322243.html?from=storyrhs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown still in hospital
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:37:33 AM »
Brown still in hospital
03 June 2005   
Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

RICHMOND forward Nathan Brown said last night he might not be discharged from hospital until after the weekend.

"I'm not sure when I'll get out yet because it's still very swollen. The whole bottom of the leg's black, so the doc is not sure when he wants to let me out," Brown said.

"It might be Saturday, might be Sunday, it could even be Monday yet, so I'm in here (Vimy House Private Hospital) for a while yet."

Brown, who broke the tibia and fibula bones in his right leg last Friday night, has had a 32cm rod inserted in his leg.

"It's amazing some of the people who rang me, texted me. I never knew I had this many friends, and it's so heartening to me to see these people come in," he said.

"I've had about 1000 letters addressed to the club this week from little kids who obviously love footy and they've got No. 7 on their back, and they're all drawing little pictures of me with a broken leg. I just want to let all those little kids know I'll be back next year."

Speaking on The Footy Show, Brown said when he initially suffered the injury he tried to put on a brave face.

"I guess I knew my season was over (when) I saw my leg," he said. "I didn't really want to show any pain because I was thinking about people at home, my girlfriend wouldn't want me to be crying, and then she'd cry, and my Mum and my Dad, so I thought I'd try and keep a brave face and wait until I got inside behind closed doors."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15494189%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Browny last night on the Footy Show
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:09:47 AM »
Browny looked fairly melancholy in his hospital bed last night although after what's he's been through and being stuck in a hospital withouth being able to move around for over a week that's understandable.

Nick Riewoldt said Browny's been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. Browny said after playing in wooden spoons sides the last 2 years he was looking forward to play in finals but now he's going to miss out. Still sounded positive about coming back. He expected to back running (non-contact) in 4 months in time for pre-season training then full contact after Christmas for a round 1, 2006 return.

Browny didn't have any painkillers until he got into the rooms. All he had was the trainer or doctor stretch out and straighten his leg. So while he was in shock and being in a lot of pain he was still able keep calm and put on a brave face so his girlfriend and family watching the game wouldn't worry.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd