Author Topic: Richmond to improve defence this season (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2289 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to improve defence this season (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:31 AM »
Richmond to improve defence this season

Michael Warner
    March 16, 2012

HEARD the one about defence at Richmond? It's the thing that stops the players running off the field.

Since 2006, the Tigers have ranked 14th, 15th, 12th, 16th, 15th and 15th in points conceded.

They finished 14th in tackles last year and fared better than only two teams in conceding a score from opposition inside-50s.

"Only Gold Coast and Port Adelaide were worse ... and that stinks," notes Champion Data's stats prospectus.

It's no surprise defensive pressure has been Richmond's major pre-season focus, including the hiring of highly-rated assistant coach Ross Smith from Hawthorn.

Everything you need to know about the Tigers' 2012 prospects

Smith has taken charge of Richmond's defensive structures and strategies.

Skipper Chris Newman said: "A lot of the emphasis this pre-season has been on defensive work. It's obviously the area we needed to improve the most.

"In the past we've had no trouble with scoring - offensively, we've been really good - and we have some really good offensive players.

"We've had to add that defensive element to our game and that's the thing that is making me more confident that I think we are going to be in a lot more games throughout the season."I'm confident the things we have put in place will hold up and stand the test against some of these clubs that are at the top of the ladder.

"If the midfielders and forwards can do their defensive roles it's going to make it a hell of a lot easier for us defenders. That defensive element will not only help us stop goals, but I think it will provide some pretty good turnover opportunities to get the ball going back the other way."

Another glaring hole at Richmond was in the ruck, prompting the recruitment of the mulleted Ivan Maric.

Maric might not be the best tap ruckman going around, but he competes like his life depends on it.

"He comes from Adelaide with huge wraps and his leadership qualities have shined early on," Newman said.

"He's going to add a bit of grunt to the midfield and a really good contest."

Tigers fans can't help but get excited about the midfield.

Trent Cotchin, 21, Dustin Martin, 20, Brett Deledio, 24, and Nathan Foley, 26, are a handy quartet, with the likes of Reece Conca, Daniel Jackson, Shane Tuck and Shaun Grigg running through.

"We feel like we are pretty strong in that area and hopefully those guys can keep developing," Newman said.

"They're only a really young midfield group. And with Tucky going through there he can add a bit of maturity.

"Tucky's form has been outstanding and all his fitness tests suggest that he's still got a lot of run in his legs. He can still provide us with that grunt and clearance ability - he's going to be vitally important to our structure this year."

Up forward the Tigers also have some genuine firepower in Jack Riewoldt, Tyrone Vickery, and crumbers Robin Nahas and Jake King. Between them they booted 152 goals last year, plus another 33 from Dustin Martin.

Newman said he expected the likes of Jake Batchelor, Ton Derickx, Matt Dea, Conca and top draft pick Brandon Ellis to make an impact.

"You'll probably see a good blend of maturity and youth in Round 1 (against Carlton at the MCG) for sure," the skipper said.

"We almost did it last year but they just showed their class and flexed their muscle."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/richmond-to-improve-defence-this-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226300823606

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to improve defence this season (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:12:27 AM »
Sounds like Tucky has a role this year from the get go. Interesting.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »
Sick of the papers reporting on us.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

go barrack for norf or the flogs then

big clubs sell papers

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

go barrack for norf or the flogs then

big clubs sell papers

Its too much! They hype us up way too much!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
As long as the club doesnt buy into it, which they're not, who gives a toss.

Get your head down Mrakov and suck it up  ;D

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
It was part of a club by club assessment they have been doing each day. It had McGaune at chb in our best team and post as emergency. I'd have Postie in his place any day.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
It's taken a couple if years but 4th least points conceded and a very good midfield has emerged.
 :thumbsup
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”