Author Topic: Key Tiger Rance aims to eliminate costly 'brain fades' (afl site)  (Read 873 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Key Tiger Rance aims to eliminate costly 'brain fades'
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
February 5, 2014

RICHMOND defender Alex Rance has spent more time this pre-season working on his offence than his defence as he looks to eliminate the "brain fades" that have become a rare weakness in his game.

After producing the best of his six seasons in 2013 and pushing for All Australian selection, Rance identified that stopping goals was generally not a problem.

The turnovers coming out of defence, however, that coach Damien Hardwick calls 'Alex Rance moments', were.

"I've always thought that I'm quite decent at defending one-on-one and things like that, but it was the offensive brain fades that I'd get in trouble for a bit," Rance said at Richmond's Australia Post Community Camp in Warrnambool on Wednesday.

"I'd turn the ball over a bit and probably cost us one or two goals a game, so if I can minimise that to one goal every couple of games, and then I save us two or three defensively, then that's going to be a win.

"That's definitely one thing I'm focusing on this year."

Rance said he was enjoying one of his "more confident" pre-seasons and making better decisions on the track.

The 24-year-old said the improvement had come from getting himself into the right positions in training and spending as much time as possible doing match simulation drills.   

"It's another year in the game style, another year being predictable to your teammates … knowing where they're going to be, and not making it up as you go," he said.

"I'm feeling really fit and strong and I'm making better decisions, which is always good.

"I'm really hopeful that I can keep playing consistent footy like I've been doing the last couple of years and really consolidate a good year."

The arrival of free agent Troy Chaplin from Port Adelaide last season was credited with improving Rance's game, and he said the development of the club's young backmen this pre-season was also raising the standard in defence.

"You've got Matty Dea, Jake Batchelor, (Dylan) Grimes, and Dave Astbury's had a really solid pre-season," Rance said.

"So there's a lot of blokes in that three- to five-year category who are really starting to stand up.

"'Dimma' has already spoken about that being where our improvement and growth needs to come from.

"It's good to see that they're putting good, solid pre-seasons together and looking to make the most of this year."

Grimes has enjoyed his most complete pre-season after a long run with injury that has included long-term hamstring injuries in 2011 and 2012 and a stress fracture in his foot in 2013.

However, he missed the Tigers' trip to Warrnambool with a sore right hamstring after complaining of tightness. The 22-year-old is expected to be back in training next week and should figure in the NAB Challenge.   

The Tigers started day two of their community camp with a one-hour training session at Warrnambool's Reid Oval before local visits to hospitals and retirement homes.

They will finish with a visit to Framingham Mission for a cultural sights tour and a kick-to-kick session with the local indigenous community.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-05/brain-fades-be-gone

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond must be smarter to improve: Alex Rance (Age)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
Richmond must be smarter to improve: Alex Rance
    Peter Hanlon
    The Age
    February 5, 2014

A raft of personal bests over the pre-season have indicated that Richmond's footballers will attack 2014 both faster and stronger, yet key defender Alex Rance believes playing smarter holds the key to improving on last season's bittersweet finals return.

As the Tigers set their sights on seeing back-to-back September action for the first time since 1974-75, Rance admitted missing All-Australian selection last year after a season widely hailed as being worthy of the honour was a personal spur, but would always be overshadowed by the broader drive for team success.

He sees making smarter decisions - individually and as a group - as the key to maximising the foundation laid by another powerful pre-season.

"We know we've been a really fit side compared to other teams, but it's about using that smartly - making smart decisions, because over the course of the game everyone's going to fatigue and that's going to accumulate, and that's when you start to make errors," Rance said on Wednesday at the Tigers community camp in Warrnambool.

"I've always thought that I'm quite decent at defending one-on-one, but it was the offensive brain fades which Dimma (coach Damien Hardwick) calls them that I would get in trouble for a bit, where I"d turn the ball over and cost us one or two goals a game.

"If I can minimise that to one goal every couple of games, then I save us two or three defensively, that's going to be a win. That's definitely one thing I'm focusing on this year."

Rance has been pleased with his progress on a decision-making level in the Tigers' simulated match practice over summer, where he has worked on not simply winning the ball but putting himself in situations to use it positively.

"It's another year in the game style, another year being predictable to your teammates, knowing where they're going to be, and not making it up as you go - knowing already what's going to happen, how it should unfold."

Scott Thompson, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright and Michael Johnson took the tall defensive spots in the 2013 All-Australian team, with Rance describing them as fantastic players who "were definitely above me". He didn't think about selection last year, but imagines such a gong would be warm reward for effort.

"It does give me added impetus to really try harder and work on the deficiencies that I have in my game. It probably is a little bit of a driving motivation, but I'm more looking to the team success and play a few more finals than those individual accolades."

He will attack the season in the time-honoured fashion of one game at a time, yet with a particular eye to avenging a personal low of 2013, when Travis Cloke kicked seven goals on him in Collingwood's round four win.

"The game last year that sticks in my mind is Trav Cloke, it'd be nice to even the ledger a bit there.

"It's never nice playing on all those big forwards, they're strong men and they're the icon of their team. It's always a difficult task."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-must-be-smarter-to-improve-alex-rance-20140205-320h5.html

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Key Tiger Rance aims to eliminate costly 'brain fades' (afl site)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »
I hope he doesn't seriously expect to be given another chance to stand Cloke. More importantly, I seriously hope Hardwick doesn't.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
clawski will be in here tonight to have his say
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
I hope he doesn't seriously expect to be given another chance to stand Cloke. More importantly, I seriously hope Hardwick doesn't.
Why not? he has improved every year so far so why nor give him a chance to redeem himself.

If you didnt give your backmen another chance against every power forward that arse raped them then you would soon run out of options.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
midfielders putting zero pressure on didnt help his cause, nor did troy chaplin who shat it up in both getting across to help him out and getting butt loved when he had his go on cloke (for a weak 5 minutes before chucking in the towel)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
Why not? he has improved every year so far so why nor give him a chance to redeem himself.

If you didnt give your backmen another chance against every power forward that arse raped them then you would soon run out of options.

Yes let's gift Cloke, Petri etc more bags and their sides 4 points so Rance can "learn".  Do me a favour,  just because he's good on Franklin - who can't take a contested mark to save himself - doesn't make him a fullback.  I'd seriously put Riewoldt back there before Rance - hell I'd almost put King there before Rance.

midfielders putting zero pressure on didnt help his cause, nor did troy chaplin who shat it up in both getting across to help him out and getting butt loved when he had his go on cloke (for a weak 5 minutes before chucking in the towel)

This is true, but he put his hand up to do the job , was found badly wanting and led a merry dance all day - Chaplin's tired, lacklustre cameo later on in a well-beaten side is irrelevent.

We desperately need a another smart, big bodied KPD. Bigger & better than Chaplin & Rance.

Rance , enigmatic as he is, at his absolute best is an elite rebounding defender but he's not a fullback's proverbial and never will be.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
lebron james?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
send jack down back? LOL
Geez the interweb would go into meltdown.

name me one full back who has never had a bath from a mature power full forward, particularly early in their career.

It happens to all of them at some point, even when they are established, mature players, yet they invariably get another go.

As i said, if you just give up on each player that gets a bath off someone like Cloke you soon run out of options, and at this point there are really only two Rance or Chaplin.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI