Author Topic: Installing passion  (Read 1034 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Installing passion
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:09:49 AM »
3AW over the weekend played a short snippet of Wallace discussing the quietness and lack of passion in the playing group saying he wished at times we had someone who would grab hold of the group and shake them up to put some oomph back into the side. He said we are too calculated in our play which while you still need that you also need passion and drive to succeed.

How do you install passion?

Obviously winning builds confidence but I would've thought passion was something already in you and just part of your competitive juices. Probably it's an easy thing to say as a supporter where footy is roughly a once a weekend love/hate affair lol whereas for the players it would have that "job" aspect to it and be mundane at times especially when the team is losing and everyone is on your back.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Installing passion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:07:39 AM »
In the days of Northey and Gieschen we played all on passion and not much else and then DF decided that it was too much about passion and we went the other way.  Wouldn’t you reckon you need equal parts of both?  People say that it’s all about winning, but apart from the final siren, there wasn’t much joy or much to get excited about in our games in 2001, even though we made the finals that year.

Players (and teams) who can play with equal parts of calculatedness, combined with passion and emotion in what they’re doing have the right balance of how a team works, you would think.  It’s much more fun to watch too.  If it’s just a job to players then it shows in the way they play and they’re not encouraged, by their own efforts and by those around them, to do more and get more out of themselves.

You can’t make someone be passionate about something if they don’t believe in what they’re doing, or believe in themselves.  When players hold back, or we see one player go harder than another, we say the player who holds back is ‘soft’.  I don’t think that’s the case a t all.  It’s just a measure of how committed he is to the cause.  Give him a reason to go in and he will.  Because much of playing the game is about confidence, commitment and how much you believe in what you’re doing and in yourself.  If you lack any or all of those traits then it’s going to seem as though you lack passion, aggression and emotion.

With a lack of confidence can also come a lack of initiative and players who aren’t prepared to go outside their comfort zone and instead only do as much as is asked of them, and nothing more, can only ever be half the player they could otherwise be.  They can be encouraged and supported in every way, but it’s ultimately up to them to push themselves out of their comfort zone.

Players who can use emotion, combined with their ability, helps make them an even better player, because it takes them to another level.  Those who play like ‘robots’ only show the skill and ability they have, because they bring nothing else of themselves to the game they play, and supposedly love.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »

Get them to spend some time with some of the posters here - that'll fire them up  ;D :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
Top post TS :cheers

Get them to spend some time with some of the posters here - that'll fire them up  ;D :cheers

Except Julz. We need the passion on the footy field not elsewhere lol ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:35:07 PM »
Forget about passion and emotion, how about “pride” in your performance, doing a good job for the “team” and being able to hold your head up at the end of the year and accept your salary saying “I earned that”.

Compare it with your own work.  Some go to work just to pick up a pay packet and some go there to do a good job and earn an honest buck.  Why shouldn’t the same be for our footballers.  Of course, the same varying levels of commitment we see in our work lives unfortunately occur at footy clubs as well, but fortunately, every club faces the same problems, so we’re not alone.  But it’s the better clubs and companies who are able to identify those players that want to play and those that don’t.

In the job I do, I watch people a lot, and notice those who are committed and have pride in their work and those that don’t.  I watch those with few abilities want to do better, and I see sometimes those with great abilities do everything they can to have a very “easy” day.  They do it seemingly with no conscious of the load others carry in the day-to-day effort to deliver our product.

Unfortunately, at interview time, it’s very hard to identify such traits, and the 3 month probation people get, generally enthusiasm is there but suddenly disappears after they are put on on a permanent basis. 

It’s the same with footy.  How many players are there for the ultimate team result and how many are there for what footy can give them:  the recognition, adoration, monetary rewards, great chicks lol, whatever that motivates them.  I’m sure the majority are there for the ultimate prize, but it’s hard to recognise those that are there for the easy ride until after a period of time.  If they can come up with a formula that can recognise these traits in people, we might be able to win a game or two on a more consistent basis.

I don’t know how you do it, other than looking for leadership qualities, as well as ability, when recruiting players.  We don’t do psychological tests in our workplace, as I’ve done for other companies I’ve worked for, so maybe there’s something in that that can weed them out.

Leadership probably is what it’s all about.  In a company/club, we all need great leadership to put those that follow on the right path.  Cambo’s been a good leader I think – maybe not in the champion status like a Voss – but someone who goes out every week and has a go, does all the right things off field, on the training track etc.  But there aren’t many others we can say over the years have given us confidence in their leadership abilities.  Hence, this filters through the whole club, and players will think if others don’t make the sacrifices and effort, well stuffed if I will. 

Maybe that’s why I value the contributions of guys like Tim Fleming so much.  Not much ability, but someone who was willing to give his all and show those with greater skills and natural talent how it’s done.  I was really disappointed we lost him for those reasons and we need more of his ilk around the club who can demonstrate to all the kids coming through that mediocrity is not what we aspire to.

Playing on emotion and passion is shortlived.  You can be motivated and all geed up through a great emotional speech or whatever, but as soon as they run through the banner or 5 minutes into a game it’s back to reality. 

North are good at it, but can’t harness the same passion against other clubs when they’re not playing for a player’s milestone game or the excitement of playing the Tiges  ::).  And like anything, how can you get everyone up at the same time when there’s other occurrences in our every day lives that means others might not be up as much as others.

Leave passion and emotion to the supporters, and the players – just have pride in what you’re doing, who you’re playing for (your team mates and the mighty Tiges) and leaving no stone unturned until the time you can honestly say I did the best I could.  Listen and learn from the leaders and treat disdainfully those who want the easy ride.

PS:  It’ll never happen, but I had a dream lol  :thumbsup

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:10:20 AM »
Top post TS :cheers

No comment. :shh

Except Julz. We need the passion on the footy field not elsewhere lol ;D