Author Topic: What has changed from last year?!  (Read 1112 times)

Jackstar is back!!!

Re: What has changed from last year?!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 07:44:36 AM »
Game has changed again
Clearly not quick enough

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »
Loss of pace. TBH I thought we played our best football in 2012.  With an easier draw in 2013 we made it to the finals with greater consistency but our best in 2012 was better than most games in 2013.
Since then we have lost a lot of leg speed.  Our middle aged players are two years older have slowed down and we have lost Matty White and Nahas (who was ok in 2012).  This has resulted in loss of leg sped around the ground and we cannot break the lines like we used to.
We haven't injected pace into the line up.  In comparison, Hawthorn and Geelong bring in youngsters with leg speed AND stamina so they give the older guys that line breaking option.

Poor recruiting in other words.  Look at our three choices in the draft.  All played HF the year they were drafted.  None have leg speed.  All a bit too similar.  Not saying we shouldn't have got Lennon as I think he will be good but at least with our latter draft choices we should have added some variety - leg speed should have been a priority.

Agree. We were very slow against the Bulldogs. Need to recruit a speedy player as well as a quality small forward. You can only have three talls in the forwardline if you have a decent small forward who can rove the packs when it hits the deck otherwise opposition teams are going to run out of defence with ease.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
I have been waiting for Stripes to post as he usally says what Im thinking but in a much clearer way than I can.

Again he has nailed it.

Couple of things though, the disapointment I have with the couching so far this season is huge. Anybody could see that the weather didnt suit a 3 tall foward line yet we stil went with it last week. Vickery has trouble holding marks in the dry, why play him in those conditions. The not dropping of players so far out of form and giving hungry players a go. I just dont get. What is the point of drafting for competion for spots if your not going to use it to motivate and reward.

Im not going to say players that are still young are soft or useless, if you look back most of your were saying Griffiths and Ashbury we no good and they have been in our best this year. Rance two years ago was for the scrap heap, etc etc.

I am not sure its a "Hardwick favorite" thing as many posters think, least I would hope not. I havent given up like most of you but I am wavering for the first time in years. We should win next week and then we have the hawks and cats. We need to find some fixes and find them soon. Yes Im disapointed and you can say Im being unrealistic but as a Tiger fan in not going to give up yet. Could be worse and be 0-4 like Carlton.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
Loss of pace. TBH I thought we played our best football in 2012.  With an easier draw in 2013 we made it to the finals with greater consistency but our best in 2012 was better than most games in 2013.
Since then we have lost a lot of leg speed.  Our middle aged players are two years older have slowed down and we have lost Matty White and Nahas (who was ok in 2012).  This has resulted in loss of leg sped around the ground and we cannot break the lines like we used to.
We haven't injected pace into the line up.  In comparison, Hawthorn and Geelong bring in youngsters with leg speed AND stamina so they give the older guys that line breaking option.

Poor recruiting in other words.  Look at our three choices in the draft.  All played HF the year they were drafted.  None have leg speed.  All a bit too similar.  Not saying we shouldn't have got Lennon as I think he will be good but at least with our latter draft choices we should have added some variety - leg speed should have been a priority.
dimma won't let them.
Why not?
Wants good kicks that move the ball fast.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
I have been waiting for Stripes to post as he usally says what Im thinking but in a much clearer way than I can.

Again he has nailed it.
:lol

Couple of things though, the disapointment I have with the couching so far this season is huge. Anybody could see that the weather didnt suit a 3 tall foward line yet we stil went with it last week. Vickery has trouble holding marks in the dry, why play him in those conditions.

I found this very strange too Fluffy. It is almost like Dimma has committed to playing this structured forward line and is hoping it just comes good despite all the evidence and despite the conditions. I know Blair Hartley was a big fan of this structure too but I'm just not seeing it at the moment. As I said earlier a utility player or elusive midfielder would suit better (ie Edwards). We really need a heavily defensive forward which, without King and McGuane now, we allowing far too much run out of our forwardline.

I think it is not so much that we are slow but our outside runners are just not finding space. Opposition teams know the importance of players like Grigg and Ellis too our ball movement and are protecting the wings more aggressively.

Need a Plan B urgently

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:41:04 PM »
Raining in Sydney.  Late change.  Out Currie.  In Nahas. (Not saying a quality player). At least the North coaches can see the obvious thing to do.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
Game has changed again
Clearly not quick enough

Horse poo, we are just low on confidence on field and haven't been very pro active off field. Things can be fixed if the club is adaptable enough to lock onto what needs fixing. Injuries can't be helped and depth is clearly shallow.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Next ya'll a pack of trippers if you thinks
 Nanas and white are making a impact

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
I think our overall personnel is far too slow. Very little spring in our step. Team of plodders.
Not quick enough to win the loose ball, pressurise the ball carrier or take the opposition on with run and carry.
Lids is one of the few who can do this and he's missing..but he can't do it by himself anyway.

Teams are shutting our ball movement down by specifically targeting Grigg, Houli and Ellis and the bottom line is that they aren't good enough to respond.

Outside of that we don't have much. We are carrying too many poor kicks of the ball to switch players into those roles when it's not working.

Our game plan has been exposed and teams are now very confident that they can beat us.
Can't see how we get the year back on track with the players we have at our disposal right now.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 09:41:53 AM »
I think our overall personnel is far too slow. Very little spring in our step. Team of plodders.
Not quick enough to win the loose ball, pressurise the ball carrier or take the opposition on with run and carry.
Lids is one of the few who can do this and he's missing..but he can't do it by himself anyway.

Teams are shutting our ball movement down by specifically targeting Grigg, Houli and Ellis and the bottom line is that they aren't good enough to respond.

Outside of that we don't have much. We are carrying too many poor kicks of the ball to switch players into those roles when it's not working.

Our game plan has been exposed and teams are now very confident that they can beat us.
Can't see how we get the year back on track with the players we have at our disposal right now.

:yep

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
Game has changed again
Clearly not quick enough

Horse poo, we are just low on confidence on field and haven't been very pro active off field. Things can be fixed if the club is adaptable enough to lock onto what needs fixing. Injuries can't be helped and depth is clearly shallow.

You obviously don't go and watch the games
Very slow are the Tiges as seen the past 2 weeks
Bulldogs game at Etihad in particular

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »

:yep

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
We have only won 6 out of 16 quarters and lets face it, fourth quarter last friday was junk time shoot out 7 goals to 6 for a 4 point win to us.

We have outscored the opposition Q1 x 1, Q2 x 2, Q3 x 1 and Q4 x 2.  Deplorable.

Game plan is not working for all the reasons set out about especially Stripes well constructed piece.

We lack mental effort and mongrel.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
The mental effort is definitely not there. For that reason I always wanted Chappy purely for the leadership. It would be a bonus to get 10+ games for him but I really wanted him at the club because he has a winning attitude and no nonsense approach to a) playing out 4 quarters and b) playing against bogey sides.

The midfield unit definitely gets a massive case of the ceebs and expect Cotchin and Deledio to do it all.

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
The mental effort is definitely not there. For that reason I always wanted Chappy purely for the leadership. It would be a bonus to get 10+ games for him but I really wanted him at the club because he has a winning attitude and no nonsense approach to a) playing out 4 quarters and b) playing against bogey sides.

The midfield unit definitely gets a massive case of the ceebs and expect Cotchin and Deledio to do it all.

Lamington, I agree totally.

One thing that stands out is our lack of on field leadership.  Chappy would have helped.

In a strange way, I wish we had Cousins (the leader) pointing at players to take certain positions again.

I read today that Carlton seem a bit quiet on the field, perhaps we are too?