Author Topic: Paradise postponed at Richmond (Age)  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Paradise postponed at Richmond (Age)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
Still think our first round drafting and development has been excellent. Our trading has been outstanding too considering what we have given up for some very reasonable players.

Great article though. Hope the powers that be at Richmond read it  :thumbsup

Stripes agree and you hit the nail of the head when you used the words "first round drafting".

It is the second, third and fourth rounds where it get difficult and where other teams either in talent spotting or development seem to have the edge on us.

Take the 3 maccas for example: by now one of them should be getting some regular game time but they are not.  Between them they have played 2 games.  It is that level of player that needs to improve to add depth.  Now is it the talent spotting or the development?

I only use the 2012 draft as an example - players picked immediately after those 3 havent really set the world on fire either.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Mcdonuts looks a footballer.

Mcbean is one of the brightest talents in the country.

McIntosh has grown fast and is going to take time to develop.

Is the issue player drafting - or development and giving them senior games?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

I like the 3 guys you've mentioned, they do look promising, but they haven't proven a thing yet.

We haven't had an A-grader come from a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick for a LONG time.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »

Last point spot on. Adding to it recycling of spuds.

Development:
Let's develop Jack into a faggott with skinny arms . That was a club direction not his lets be serious

Well done M Williams. What a gun he is
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

Last point spot on. Adding to it recycling of spuds.

Development:
Let's develop Jack into a limpgott with skinny arms . That was a club direction not his lets be serious

Well done M Williams. What a gun he is
None of them are going to be A graders if they're kept in the magoos. If you look at Hawthorn and Geelong, they develop theirs in the seniors after identifying the talent in the seconds. To do that we have to take some backward steps. But the tiges say they HAVE TO make the finals which makes development and ultimately real improvement impossible.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »

I like the 3 guys you've mentioned, they do look promising, but they haven't proven a thing yet.

We haven't had an A-grader come from a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick for a LONG time.

The three combined have been given one game. How do,you prove yourself from the grand stand?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
Dorothy Dixer of an article with nil revelations , failed to address cosmetic changes to the game plan that have made an impact, just a fluff piece  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
Dorothy Dixer of an article with nil revelations , failed to address cosmetic changes to the game plan that have made an impact, just a fluff piece  :shh
Your almost on your own BJ on that one judging by the response of the majority here....

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
Well I hardly think that the likes of RFC being denied access to top end talent due to concessions awarded to the new franchises being a revelation. I refute that our HA ladder position in 2013 flattered us, Ffs we beat both grand finalists and were robbed v freo. It's a fluff piece  :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

the claw

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »

and yet some of us struggle to see any real good redeeming attributes with mcdonough. of the three he should click well ahead of the others. in fact  with his size and age he should be just about banging the door down now.

mcbean hasnt been played because of size which is fair enough. it is that old bug bear again you know that thing called potential but is he capable of handling afl footy on a regular basis heck no
 mcintosh has had some injury but has not done a lot to date. surely he has to show just a little bit before giving him games.

they have not done enough and all three need much more development. they should be developing mainly  in the twos imo. when they are physically ready and they have shown they can handle playing against men give em some  games  for sure if for no other reason than gaining experience.

how anyone can say these guys are proven is beyond me. like so many other kids in the afl system they have potential but clearly lack in some key areas atm
 they all could become good afl  players  but the fact is they are not atm. let them  all play some consistent footy in the twos and then for sure give em a game.

atm lloyd is a beetter option than mcdonough, dea is probably a better option than mcintosh and for sure elton as far as being physically capable of handling afl footy is in front of mcbean imo.
atm there is no guarantee any of those mentioned will make it but in fairness to them and the club they need time to develop properly.

on the merits of our wins last yr. let me put it this way. like some others  i thought we had a better season in 2012 as far as overall performance goes yet we missed finals.
imo if we focus only on wins and losses we lose sight of the bigger overall picture.
cmon people we all remember 2001 a yr  it was clear that the list in 2001 was way short of talent and we had to take a step backwards rather than top up. imo the 2013  situation was not much different to 01. for me our ladder position in 2013 flattered us greatly.

the claw

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 12:31:13 AM »
Still think our first round drafting and development has been excellent. Our trading has been outstanding too considering what we have given up for some very reasonable players.

imo i reckon our first round selections passable. as for development of those 1st rounders i would strenuously argue they have made it on their talent alone with development failing to address what weaknesses was in their games.

as for  the taking of mature recruits in general  weather that be trade f/a, nd, psd, or rookie draft, while  we have not paid a huge premium in most cases,  there has been an inordinate amount of misses.not sure you can call this area excellent.

one thing for sure in all of this there is no doubting we can and should be much better in these most critical areas.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »

imo i reckon our first round selections passable. as for development of those 1st rounders i would strenuously argue they have made it on their talent alone with development failing to address what weaknesses was in their games.

as for  the taking of mature recruits in general  weather that be trade f/a, nd, psd, or rookie draft, while  we have not paid a huge premium in most cases,  there has been an inordinate amount of misses.not sure you can call this area excellent.

one thing for sure in all of this there is no doubting we can and should be much better in these most critical areas.
Claw you should go down to the club and displace Blair and Francis.

I'd vote for you! :clapping

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
That was a good read  :clapping