Author Topic: Tigers awful to watch: Patrick Smith (SEN)  (Read 2717 times)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers awful to watch: Patrick Smith (SEN)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
Don't watch them Patrick, simple as that

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
The first line was just  a rhetorical question -  an aside and an example of a team that did make top 4 with a poor coach and a below average list the fell away badly afterwards and though there are a few similarities it wasn't intended to be the crux of the post which dealt with the current list and why they are headed for a bottom 4 finish this year after finishing 5th last year. Suprised someone of your self-proclaimed superior intellect was unable to grasp that.

Our list is clearly better than it was in 2002, certainly at it's core at least,  coach...well that's up for debate, let's just say I don't think it's any coincidence that his poor performance this year has coincided with the loss of key assistants and the subsequent failure to replace them.

Rather amazing that you would comment on coaching staff when you don't know who they are.
Leppitsch is the ONLY assistant that has left.

Yes Leppitsch is the main one I believe we're missing , but have you heard of a bloke named Wayne Campbell? Opposition analyst & leadership development -ergo an assistant to the coach. (Personally not a fan, but we're still down two assistants from last year.) Try again champ.

EDIT: Tony just beat me to it.

Err no. You're both wrong CHAMP.
Yes I have heard of Wayne Campbell who from 2010 was an opposition scout but in the last couple of years has not had a coaching or scouting role but was involved in Leadership development
BUT
As has been posted numerous times, Wayne Campbell in the last year to 18 months was setting up the reserves team structure.
In searching for WP's post about Campbell doing the reserves job I came across quite a few of your posts about Campbell as a coach. Can you please take note that Campbell has not had a coaching role since Hardwick came on board for the start of 2010.

So see if you can take that on board finally since it's getting boring having to correct all the time.

the claw

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
Yeah we've had injuries - but that's something you should budget for in the off season and why you need to improve the list and the depth. We seeed to assume we were going to have another good run with injuries. All we really did was pay massive overs for a spud to cover Maric and rookie another spud from Port to balance out the loss of Tuck but who is really just another Sam Lonergan.

Exactly this. You have to brace yourself for the worst. You can't expect your best players to be firing every single round. The coaching staff assumed Deledio, Martin, and Cotchin will be tearing it up in AA standard week in week out to cover the lack of improvement in Ellis, Conca whom hasn't had a full preseason to date, and a Grigg/Houli whom have most likely peaked.

Furthermore if there is something I am furious about with the club is that we don't have a NAB rising star nominee this year. I wouldn't care if they won it or not but the fact that we have no representation this year tells me we aren't putting enough work into developing the kids to cover for ageing players/potential injuries.
pretty hard to get a rising star nominee when you only take one kid eligible  in the entire trade / draft period.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
Yeah we've had injuries - but that's something you should budget for in the off season and why you need to improve the list and the depth. We seeed to assume we were going to have another good run with injuries. All we really did was pay massive overs for a spud to cover Maric and rookie another spud from Port to balance out the loss of Tuck but who is really just another Sam Lonergan.

Exactly this. You have to brace yourself for the worst. You can't expect your best players to be firing every single round. The coaching staff assumed Deledio, Martin, and Cotchin will be tearing it up in AA standard week in week out to cover the lack of improvement in Ellis, Conca whom hasn't had a full preseason to date, and a Grigg/Houli whom have most likely peaked.

Furthermore if there is something I am furious about with the club is that we don't have a NAB rising star nominee this year. I wouldn't care if they won it or not but the fact that we have no representation this year tells me we aren't putting enough work into developing the kids to cover for ageing players/potential injuries.
pretty hard to get a rising star nominee when you only take one kid eligible  in the entire trade / draft period.

You have to be under 21 and not have played 10 senior games before the start of the season. So McBean, McIntosh, Arnot & McDonough are all still eligible for this year's award and unless he plays every game from this week or the week after until the last round McBean will even still be eligible next year.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
The first line was just  a rhetorical question -  an aside and an example of a team that did make top 4 with a poor coach and a below average list the fell away badly afterwards and though there are a few similarities it wasn't intended to be the crux of the post which dealt with the current list and why they are headed for a bottom 4 finish this year after finishing 5th last year. Suprised someone of your self-proclaimed superior intellect was unable to grasp that.

Our list is clearly better than it was in 2002, certainly at it's core at least,  coach...well that's up for debate, let's just say I don't think it's any coincidence that his poor performance this year has coincided with the loss of key assistants and the subsequent failure to replace them.

Rather amazing that you would comment on coaching staff when you don't know who they are.
Leppitsch is the ONLY assistant that has left.

Yes Leppitsch is the main one I believe we're missing , but have you heard of a bloke named Wayne Campbell? Opposition analyst & leadership development -ergo an assistant to the coach. (Personally not a fan, but we're still down two assistants from last year.) Try again champ.

EDIT: Tony just beat me to it.

Err no. You're both wrong CHAMP.
Yes I have heard of Wayne Campbell who from 2010 was an opposition scout but in the last couple of years has not had a coaching or scouting role but was involved in Leadership development
BUT
As has been posted numerous times, Wayne Campbell in the last year to 18 months was setting up the reserves team structure.
In searching for WP's post about Campbell doing the reserves job I came across quite a few of your posts about Campbell as a coach. Can you please take note that Campbell has not had a coaching role since Hardwick came on board for the start of 2010.

So see if you can take that on board finally since it's getting boring having to correct all the time.

Am positive that he was still opposition analyst in 2012 - 2013 not so sure, hence why I said 2 coaches in 2 years.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
Yeah, you're right TM.
Have done a bit more research this AM and came up with this.
Note that the club website has only as far as 2010 full Annual Report, listing staff (maybe if someone keeps them?)

2007 Bulldogs - Part time forward coach
2008 Bulldogs - Full time midfield coach
2009 Richmond - Full time midfield coach. Last year of Wallace with Rawlings as caretaker
2010 Full time midfield coach? First year of Hardwick with Daly as Forward coach, Lade as stoppage coach, Leppitsch as Defense coach.
2011 Not sure but I have a feeling he swapped with Daly.
2012 Opposition analyst and Leadership Development. Williams joined from Melbourne as forward coach, pushing Campbell out
2013 opposition analyst, Leadership and Manager of VFL strategy.
In this Age article from December, it says
"For the past 18 months, he has played a leading role in putting together Richmond's stand-alone VFL team."

So it's clear that Campbell hasn't had a direct coaching role for at least two years before he left.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/wayne-campbell-to-replace-jeff-gieschen-as-umpires-boss-20131229-301j3.html#ixzz35i0Ze72