Author Topic: We need guys with skill and pace  (Read 1147 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We need guys with skill and pace
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:03:55 PM »
We were once again showed up for being one of the worse skilled teams in the comp. If it hadn't of rained we would have got pumped by 10+ goals IMO. The wet made it a match of hard ball contests which we (Tuck and Cogs) are good at while Port aren't as they are a bunch of front runners this year. Once it dried up again the Burgoyne brothers and Kingsley burned us off with pace.

Simmonds is built like a tank yet plays like a feather once he goes forward. Chad Cornes just outpositioned him everytime. He was crucial and very good in the ruck but does bugger all elsewhere.

Krakouer - he either has a blinder or goes missing. In a wet game when the ball was on the ground he should have starred.

Only time I saw Chaffey was in a wide shot trying to chase Peter Burgoyne yet looking like he was jogging on the spot  :help.

Tivs usually cops a bagging but he did do some neat things tonight.

On the positive - Tuck was brilliant.

Graham once again played fantastically interstate. Unlucky to drop that mark running back with the flight of the footy. Bloody front runner Mahoney got the game-breaking goal  :banghead.

Good to see Hyde find back his form of earlier in the year.

Deledio's getting better every week.

Foley is tiny but was good and very clean in the third quarter.

Richo was Richo. Was too good for Wakelin and Bishop and worked his guts out. Only negative was the out on the full that would have put us up by 7 points in the last quarter  :help yet snapped one in the wet from 50 on the boundary.

Overall you can't give any side an 8 goals start  >:( then expect to win. Just plain soft and disgraceful that first quarter  :banghead. It was a brave and gutsy comeback but in the end that meant nothing. Geez after playing wet weather perfectly from midway through the second quarter to 3/4 time we then played stupid cute footy in the last  :banghead.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 12:49:08 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: We need guys with skill and pace
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 11:46:18 PM »
Good summary MT.

Our skill errors were shocking especially in the first and last quarters and we have a lot of dumb footballers who can't read the play well enough to run to the right spots to get the ball.

I hope Foley turns out to be more of the Craig Lambert variery than the Craig Ednie variety.

Will Thursfied looks great. Has such great compusure for a young kid. Always makes the right decisions. He's lightly built too so I eagerly await what he will become. Very promising youngster. Based on the way he's played since being in the side you'd have to say him and Deledio are our two best prospects for the future.

Tivendale did some okay things but he again stupidly got caught holding the ball and missed a vital shot on goal.

Hyde is a goer. Not the most talented but a good tropper. Always puts in. Loved the way he chased Shaun Burgoyne, even though he couldn't catch him. Great endeavour.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 01:21:17 AM »
Will Thursfied looks great. Has such great compusure for a young kid. Always makes the right decisions. He's lightly built too so I eagerly await what he will become. Very promising youngster.

Well said John. Thursty was terrific for only a kid in his 4th game playing in defence.

Foley's footy ability is good but I think genetics will sadly stop him as it did to Ednie from making it at AFL level in the long run IMO.

If Tivs, Richo (twice) and Tuck (tried playing on after taking a mark 12m out  ???) got those goals they should have then there's the game to us  :(. I could add Cogs' miss in there as well but he can't kick accurately further than 35m. You could see he wanted to pass off at first because he knew he would struggle to kick a goal from 40-45m  :-\. Sheesh just goes to show that even 5 goals in modern footy is a fine line  :P

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:22:58 AM »
Mark Graham was excellent.  And that 50m penalty against him was such a joke.  Even blind Freddy could see the Port player knocked the ball out of Graham's hands.

I just loved it when one of the Port players (a Burgoyne I think) crashed into Foley who just threw him to the ground.

I thought Simmo was good in the ruck.

Silly mistakes cost us but it could have been a 100 point thrashing.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »
We need guys with pace and skill

People have been sayingt his the whole year (and for the last 10 years).

I can understand Plough drafting Tambo and Meyer.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 08:13:04 PM »

Don't forget Lids as well :thumbsup.

Yep Plough drafted very well last year. He's a year ahead already considering if we had another coach only it would have taken to the end of this year to recognise our deficiences in this department.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 08:30:03 PM »

Don't forget Lids as well :thumbsup..

Didn't add list because he was always going to be picked up if we had a shot at him.

Fairly special kid.  8)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 09:36:56 PM »
We were once again showed up for being one of the worse skilled teams in the comp. If it hadn't of rained we would have got pumped by 10+ goals IMO. The wet made it a match of hard ball contests which we (Tuck and Cogs) are good at while Port aren't as they are a bunch of front runners this year. Once it dried up again the Burgoyne brothers and Kingsley burned us off with pace.

I always say things can look alot different when you are at the game compared to TV this was one of those games.

We were average (actually poor would be a better description >:() in the centre clearances in the first quarter. All the Power did was work the ball out towards the wings with blokes running in and getting easy clearances.

Kinglsey started on Tuck in the first quarter and they were playing wide of each other and Kingsley cuts us up - it was awful :banghead

Simmonds is built like a tank yet plays like a feather once he goes forward. Chad Cornes just outpositioned him everytime. He was crucial and very good in the ruck but does bugger all elsewhere.

Missing set shots from 30 metres out are unforgivable. Struggles to mark - the quciker we get him to shrink the better I reckon he'll be but sheesh his been a disappointment

Krakouer - he either has a blinder or goes missing. In a wet game when the ball was on the ground he should have starred.

He helped get us back into to it when he went in the centre (see my other post) sure the possession total looks lousy but 11 tackles and he and Richo were the only ones at time fighting on the ground to keep the ball in our F50 - why Richo was doing the crumbing forward work it I'll never know ::)

Only time I saw Chaffey was in a wide shot trying to chase Peter Burgoyne yet looking like he was jogging on the spot  :help.

Agree he looked really slow I mean really slow but he got moved onto Kingsley and did shut him down for most of the remainder of the game

Tivs usually cops a bagging but he did do some neat things tonight.

Best game of the year from him - and off the ball he worked really really hard - he's getting votes from me

On the positive - Tuck was brilliant.

Was good because he fought back after getting a bit of a spanking in the first 20 minutes. And BTW I don't think he will ever NOT take a shot for goal 20 metres out again - cost and crucial

Graham once again played fantastically interstate. Unlucky to drop that mark running back with the flight of the footy. Bloody front runner Mahoney got the game-breaking goal  :banghead.

If Joel had have kept his feet maybe.... Graham was excellent last night - was the general in the backline. Works really well with thursfield.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he plays on next season (if he wants too) - we need the experience

Foley is tiny but was good and very clean in the third quarter.

Only played 52 minutes :banghead was sensational and he is just what we need a tough little mongrel nugget. Great hands in close

Overall you can't give any side an 8 goals start  >:( then expect to win. Just plain soft and disgraceful that first quarter  :banghead. It was a brave and gutsy comeback but in the end that meant nothing. Geez after playing wet weather perfectly from midway through the second quarter to 3/4 time we then played stupid cute footy in the last  :banghead.

Big starts have cost us 2 very important games. WCE & now Port. Ones we were not supposed to win but would have guaranteed us a spot in the 8. Enough said.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)