Author Topic: Cambo calls it a day . . .  (Read 3388 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Cambo: Tiger's earned legend status (the HUN)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »
Tiger's earned legend status

10 August 2005   Herald Sun
Mark Robinson

FIRST saw Wayne Campbell play football as a 17-year-old.

It was for Golden Square against South Bendigo in the Bendigo Football League grand final in 1989.

This audacious kid displayed traits that would stay with him for the next 16 years. He looked robotic, but confident, and he oozed balance.

By quarter-time that day, he had kicked four of his team's eight goals on the way to winning the Bill Nalder medal for best on ground.

His opponent -- I think it was a country football star named Peter Hinck -- was stunned. He was about 30 and Campbell was a tick over half his age.

At 17, and with an AFL career beckoning, Campbell had won his first senior premiership. Yesterday, a month shy of his 33rd birthday, he still has one flag to his name.

He says it doesn't grate on him, that he wouldn't change a thing, but Campbell's pedigree as a combative, professional footballer probably won't fully allow him to be satisfied with what is a wonderful career.

"Over 15 years, we've been spectacularly unsuccessful, and I've tried to find meaning in that lack of success," he said. "I haven't yet found it, but I wouldn't change a thing. It's been absolutely brilliant."

Contrary to some belief, Campbell is a Tigers legend.

His record demands the accolade. Four best-and-fairests, eight times in the top three, 294 games, All-Australian, captain, leader, example setter.

The last two are the intangibles, something former teammate and great mate Nick Daffy touched on yesterday.

"The best thing I ever did was latch on to him because it helped me. That's the thing about hanging out with the right people," Daffy said.

Campbell is unique in many ways, from the way he relaxes on the field, standing with both feet together, to the way he talks, with a quick wit and, when footy allows, a cold beer.

His teammates say he's funny. Others say he's a deep thinker, passionate and, sometimes, intense.

They talk about James Hird's brain and Lance Whitnall's, and Aker's, but Campbell deserves equal billing.

He will not be remembered as a great mark, or kick, nor did he portray an obvious hatred for the opposition, a la Michael Voss or Glenn Archer. He wasn't a tearaway speedster, nor the type to rove from the middle, bounce, bounce and goal from 55m.

What Campbell had was the ability to find the ball. He could link, he could find it in packs, and could find it wide. His hands were quick, his mind quicker. He averaged 23 possessions a game from 1993, which makes him elite.

His coaches would have loved his consistency. He had seven and there wouldn't be too many games in which he let any of them down.

At times, he played as though the sport was about yards gained. He'd dribble the ball forward from congestion, just rush it out of the area, and for that Tigers supporters loved and hated him.

One week, they'd bemoan that he didn't hurt the opposition. A week later, when he'd accumulated 29 touches against Collingwood in pouring rain and they won by eight points, they'd give him three cheers. It's the Tigers' way.

Strangely, you wonder if Campbell ever won the fans over. "I'm constantly told they don't like me, but I went to a function last night and there was about 1000 people there and I was extremely humbled by the words they said," he said.

"(But) popularity is not high on my agenda. The players I played with I think respect me and like me, and I will take that out of everything I've done."

Campbell is a traditional football person. He barracked for the Tigers as a kid, and on the day of his retirement, admitted he couldn't fathom that after Round 22 he will sit behind only Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke in games played.

Just once, he tried to leave the club, but it fell through, and thankfully so, he says.

"Kevin Sheedy told me three or four years after that that he thought it was the first time Richmond had taken a good look at themselves for about 15 years, so I took that as vote of confidence," he said.

Campbell's journey, like all of them, is a terrific one.

He grew up in Ouyen before moving to Bendigo as an early teen when his parents, John and Margaret, divorced.

His two bothers, Peter and David, were footballers and when they left home it was mum who kicked the footy back. Mum saw most of her son's 294 games, and her pre-match ritual was a phone call on the eve of the game.

"She's been awesome, she rings me every night before the game. I know the phone call's coming and sometimes I let it go, which is probably pretty rude, but anyhow," Campbell said, laughing.

"I spoke to her and she said, 'Thank God, I've had enough'. I think the Carlton game tore her apart as well."
In two weeks, Campbell will pass into footy folklore. One of 10,000 former players, as he put it.

He probably will be remembered as being a good player in a bad team, when really he was better than that.
Is there a word a fraction shy of great?

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16209748%255E19742,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

Re: Cambo calls it a day . . .
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 02:55:30 PM »
something tells me he wants to play on and just making up excuses , my gut feeling is his fiance has put the pressure on him

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 03:58:07 PM »
Well they have been engaged forever and a day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Make the finals for Cambo, urges Richo (RFC site)
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 05:17:03 PM »
Do it for Cambo, urges Richo
11:43:55 AM Wed 10 August, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Matthew Richardson believes Wayne Campbell deserves to end his career by playing in another finals series saying the former skipper's retirement has given Richmond added incentive for the rest of the home and away season.

Campbell announced his retirement - effective at season's end - on Monday and if the Tigers don't make the finals he will finish is career just short of the 300 game milestone on 297 games.

But Richardson said Campbell, who has played in just two finals series since joining the Tigers in 1991, deserved to finish his long career on a high note by having one last taste of the elusive September action.

"It gives us something to really strive for to send him off with another finals series,' Richardson said of Campbell.

"That really would be a good way for him to finish his career."

The Tigers are one game outside the top eight with three rounds remaining but despite eight losses in their past 10 games their finals destiny remains in their own hands and they will make the finals provided they win their last three games against the Bulldogs, Hawthorn and Geelong.

Richardson, speaking exclusively to afl.com.au, said Campbell's presence would be missed not just out on the field but around the club where he has been the heart and soul of Punt Road for more than a decade.

The pair has been teammates since 1993 with Richardson's career beginning two years after Campbell's and next season the big forward will take over the mantle as the club's longest serving player.

"We'll obviously miss him out on the field but that is only two hours a week," Richardson said.

"It's the other 30 odd hours you spend together at the club where we miss him, at training and things like having lunch together on a day off."

Campbell will take next year off where he will head overseas after he marries fiancée Sarah at the end of the year but is expected to take up a coaching or administrative role in football once he returns.

Richardson said Campbell deserved to be remembered as one of the Richmond greats.

"The thing I most admire about him is his durability," Richardson said of Campbell.

"To be able to go out there and just keep performing year after year takes something special."

That is best summed up by the fact Campbell will finish his career fourth on Richmond's all time games list with the three names above him - Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke - being arguably the three most revered names in the club's history.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=221500

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cambo: Wayne Campbell a true Tiger champion by Tezza
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »
Wayne Campbell a true Tiger champion

12:04:08 PM Thu 11 August, 2005

Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

This has been a huge week in the history of the Richmond Football Club.

Last Friday, over in Perth, I met with Wayne Campbell to determine what his plans were for next season.

About mid-year, I had told him that I thought it would be great for him to go on and be only the fourth player in the Club’s history to reach the 300-game milestone. To have his name appear alongside Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke would have been an extremely huge honor . . .

I know that this did not sit comfortably with Wayne, as he could not see himself in the same light as these great Richmond champions. But the fact that he’s been unlucky enough not to play in a successful era is not his fault, and should not detract from his achievements at Tigerland.

The discussion in Perth was not a particularly long one, because Wayne was very set in his mind that retirement was the right option for him at season’s end. Having been through this process a few times before, I knew that Wayne was making the right decision. He was very calm and clinical in his thought process and approach to the future.

I thought it was important he knew his form and leadership around the Club was respected enough to ensure this decision was totally his, and that the Richmond Football Club would support him in any way possible. From that Friday meeting onwards, we planned to have Wayne speak to the playing group and the media on Tuesday.

I am very pleased to have had the opportunity of coaching Wayne, albeit for only a brief time. As so often happens, your opinion of a player rises when you see them at close quarters. Wayne’s knowledge of the game and use of the ball was far better than what I had presumed, looking in from the outside. Even though it’s his last year, and the body had slowed down, his value and contribution to the team – especially early when we were trying to re-establish ourselves – was first class.

So, where does he sit as a player in the modern game? Well, anyone who wins four Best and Fairests at the one football club has a huge stake in the history of that club, and deserves the right to be considered a champion.

Champions come in many forms, but most of us only consider the title belongs with those league footballers who play the game in a spectacular fashion. The wonderful thing, however, about our sport is it allows for many shapes and sizes to participate, and there are so many characteristics to the game that are important.

Wayne, throughout his career, has not been the most gifted athlete, or a high-flying mark, or prodigious kick. But he had all the qualities I love in a player – a footy brain, strong will, perseverance and leadership. These are qualities you can rely on week in, week out as a coach, and they hold a player in very good stead over many years of AFL football.

To finish in the top three in the Club’s Best and Fairest on eight different occasions, to me suggests that Wayne Campbell was a player that every coach could rely on to give his best, each time he stepped out on to the field.

I have a feeling that Wayne will not be lost to AFL football. When I listen to him talk, he has strong, well-thought-out opinions on the game. He is a lateral thinker and still has a passion for the sport he started playing as a young boy.

After some time off overseas, he will come back to Australia refreshed and ready for new challenges. If football is his chosen pathway, I believe he would make a great coach or administrator.

Personally, I believe if this is to happen, he should broaden his outlook and cut his teeth at another club, as all of us can become far too insular, having spent all our time in the one environment. If the Richmond Football Club remains his passion, however, then those of us at Tigerland will assist him in any way possible.

Too many times in the modern game, champions leave their clubs with a sour taste in their mouths. And, there appears to be little respect given for those reaching the end.

It is pleasing that Wayne Campbell’s retirement is a good news story . . . Both Wayne and the Club have the same relationship and mutual respect as they did when he made his league football debut way back in 1991.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=221740
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 05:03:25 PM »
The players are two gutless to win 3 and make the finals for Campo....It should happen but it wont.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne