Author Topic: OER Preview Round 20 - Richmond vs Bulldogs  (Read 1093 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
OER Preview Round 20 - Richmond vs Bulldogs
« on: August 12, 2005, 05:39:47 AM »
ROUND 20 - RICHMOND vs WESTERN BULLDOGS - Telstra Dome ("Home")

PAST ENCOUNTERS:

Overall: 75-61-1

In the 00's: 6-2

At Docklands (Telstra Dome): 4-0

Last Time:

Round 3, 10.04.05. Away at the Docklands.

Richmond    3.4 5.9 7.14 12.16-88

W.Bulldogs  3.1 6.7 8.14 11.18-84

Multiple Goalkickers: Richmond - Richardson 4, Brown 3, Krakouer 2; Bulldogs - P.Bowden 2, Hahn 2, B.Johnson 2.

Attendance: 30,871

SUMMARY

Although both sides come into this game on nine wins each for the season their form and momentum could not be more poles apart. The Tigers albeit still competitive have through loss of form, injuries and weariness lost eight of their past 10 matches including the last four straight. While finals are still a mathematical possibly, season 2005 looks done and dusted. The Bulldogs on the other hand like the Dockers have put on a late season charge for September as mid-ladder sides just above them have slumped leaving the door into the top 8 ajarred. With four straight wins, the last a 43 point victory over League leaders West Coast, the Doggies are one of the in-form sides at the minute.

Richmond has made three forced changes with young rookie defender Thursfield (back), Krakouer (hamstring) and ruckman Knobel (hamstring) all missing through injury. As it's a Sunday match six names have then been added to the squad of 25. Stafford, Tivendale and Graham return from injury while Schulz, Jackson and Raines have been added from the VFL.

B: Newman, Gaspar, Hilton
F: Hahn, Grant, Robbins 
HB: Hartigan, Hall, Bowden
HF: B.Johnson, Murphy, Giansiracusa 

R: Simmonds, K.Johnson, Coughlan
R: Minson, Cross, Cooney
C: Deledio, Tuck, Tambling
C: Smith, West, Eagleton 

HF: Hyde, Richardson, Campbell
HB: Gilbee, Hargrave, Morris
F: Pettifer, Pattison, Foley
B: McMahon, Harris, Griffen 

Rich Int (from): Graham, Moore, Tivendale, Jackson, Schulz, Stafford, Raines
WB Int (from): Boyd, Skipper, Street, Birss, Power, Ray, Wight

With Chris Grant back in their line-up, the Doggies in the past few weeks have set-up with him as the sole tall forward surrounded by small to midsized forwards in the absence of Luke Darcy. Grant pushes up to the forward 50 leaving Robbins more often than not one out at full-forward. Their other smalls will also push up the ground to outnumber their opponents in midfield contests then use their run and link play to get the ball forward quickly. With the Bulldogs dominating through the corridor and across half-back in the last month, this rebounding tactic has proved extremely effective. So much so that they've notched up 20 goals in each of their past three games. This is a concern for us as our forward structure apart from Richo  and the occasional cameo such as last week from Pettifer has only managed to reach the 100 point mark twice since Nathan Brown went down. So we can't afford especially in the clinical conditions at Telstra Dome to be involved in a shoot out.

Last week for a rare time under Wallace's reign we tried to tighten up the contest to nullify the run of the Dockers. This worked well for at least a half however poor disposal and goalkicking undid all the hard work. If we have any chance of pulling off an upset we most likely will need use the same tactic against the Dogs on Sunday but make the most of our forays forward. In round 3, we were able to shutdown two out of the three main Bulldogs ballwinners through Cogs and Tuck outplaying West and Cooney. This left only Hahn to win the contested ball and in the end we outlasted them with Richo the difference.

This time around as the second half of the season has progressed the Dogs 4-5 year players have begun to step up at this level. Although alot is mentioned of young gun Cooney and the impressive first year kid Griffen, it is the form of this 21-24 age group in Cross, McMahon, Hahn, Murphy and Giansiracusa, combined with keeping veterans West, Brad Johnson, Eagleton and Smith fit and out on the park, that have added greater depth and run to their midfield compared to earlier on in the year when we first played them. Unfortuantely as the home and way season nears it's climax, it is our midfield depth or rather lack of it where we are at our weakness as our talented cubs are at least 2-3 years behind those of the Dogs and far too much workload is placed on Cogs, Tuck, Johnson and Bowden. Deledio, Hyde and retiring veteran Cambo have been good but we need over the next few years to find consistent contributions from others. The Bulldogs based on form and confidence despite both sides being separated by percentage should sadly have too much firepower for us to combat at this early stage of our rebuilding phase.

Our only true strength over the Dogs is height in our forward line and in past encounters we have actually exploited it to our advantage especially at the Dome where we haven't as yet lost to the lads from the Western Suburbs. The Bulldogs have been a rare side in recent times we've had the wood over with us winning the past four meetings between the two clubs. If we were to break even at stoppages and in the clearances by shutting the game down then Richo's battle with underrated full-back Harris will become crucial. If Richo gets on top early then the only other option the Bulldogs have is moving Grant into defence as Richo will also be fat to strong for Hargraves. Richo needs to play at centre half-forward this week just inside the forward 50 perimeter to run Harris around and it's pleasing that Wallace has named the big fella there. With Simmonds playing mainly in the ruck with Knobel absent to stretch the Doggies' backline we either plonk a Stafford or young Pattison in the goalsquare or give the more agile Schulz a starting role at full-forward and let him repay the Club by showing he belongs at this level.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No added spite: Wallace (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:27:57 PM »
No added spite: Wallace
2:42:26 PM Fri 12 August, 2005
Jennifer Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace isn't expecting a spiteful encounter between the Tigers and the Bulldogs on Sunday, despite the high stakes riding on the clash.

The game is a must-win encounter for both teams if they want to continue their seasons into September, and despite the added value of these four points, Wallace anticipates a clean afternoon of football.

"I think (the Dogs) played a really competitive game last week and their tackling intensity was very, very good and when I've looked at the Bulldogs' games, I don't think they've been spiteful games over quite some period of time," Wallace said on Friday.

"I couldn't see why it would go down any more path than just the importance and the urgency that the game has from the result point of view."

Wallace also refused to play on the fact that his side could effectively end the finals' hopes of the Bulldogs – his former side – and indicated there wouldn't be any extra spice because of his history with the side.

"I don't see it being any different to any other game that I play, I wasn't that way first up (this season), so I certainly don't think I'm that way second up," Wallace said.

"(The Dogs) are in fantastic form and playing some really good football, and we're going to have to improve on our efforts if we're going to knock them over."

Despite the opposing coaches both playing down the importance of this game, both sides opted to hold closed training sessions on Friday.

While the Dogs held their session at Whitten Oval, Wallace wouldn't reveal the secret location of the Tigers' final hit-out, and attributed the switch from Punt Road as preparation for the Telstra Dome match.

"We've done a similar thing a couple of times we've played at Telstra Dome this year, just the conditions of the ground, to play on a hard, fast surface, try to train here and you just really can't get a good enough sort of workout to be able to train for the conditions."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=222121

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brown wants Tigers to give Dogs kicking (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:18:37 AM »
Brown wants Tigers to give Dogs kicking
13 August 2005 
 Herald Sun
Jim Wilson

INJURED Richmond star Nathan Brown says he would like nothing better than for the Tigers to knock his former club out of finals contention tomorrow.

Brown has ceased contact with his close friends and former Bulldogs teammates Scott West and Robert Murphy this week, except for several text messages.

"It's frustrating I can't be out there and I must admit I have sent a few scathing SMS's to Westy and Murph this week," Brown said last night. "It was all in good fun, but I can tell you it would be nice to knock them out of the finals race."

And he has no doubts the rivalry extends to coaches Terry Wallace (Richmond) and Rodney Eade (Bulldogs).

"They have a great rivalry and there is no doubt Terry gets a kick out of beating Rodney and vice-versa," Brown said.

Brown's old club is at the amazing odds of $1.30 to end Richmond's recent dominance. "I would like to think the Tiges at $3.50 in a two-horse race represents great value," Brown said.

He believes Matthew Richardson, who has kicked 14 goals in the past two clashes against the Bulldogs, looms as the key for the Tigers.

"If we can get the ball into the big bloke as quickly and efficiently as possible, he will be a handful," Brown said.

"And we must stop the Bulldogs run, especially out of defence, as they've been so effective in recent weeks."

Brown, who broke his leg in May, intends to begin light running in October.

"I am still feeling some pain but things are progressing well and I still have high hopes of being right for round one next year," he said.

The mind games between the clubs were evident yesterday when Wallace switched training to what was supposed to be a secret location.

But minutes into the closed session at Coburg Oval, several Richmond trainers spotted Bulldogs' assistant coach Matthew Drain and politely asked him to leave.

The Bulldogs too had a session behind closed doors as they seek to keep their stunning winning streak, and finals hopes, alive.

"The exciting thing is we've got a lot of improvement left in us and a lot of development left," Eade said.

"But if we don't work hard or put pressure on Richmond and don't meet them physically, then we'll get beaten."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16240440%255E19771,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
By Emma Quayle
The Age
August 13, 2005

Sitting on nine wins, with games against Hawthorn and Geelong to follow tomorrow's clash with his former side, Wallace believes Richmond's 2005 destiny remains in its own hands.

He said he looked forward to how his young side, knowing it was playing a knockout game each week, would handle the extra pressure.

"It is (a knockout game), and we've lost a few guys along the way. Last week we had eight guys who'd played less than 25 games," Wallace said.

"That's a heck of a lot in your line-up, and that makes a difference. What it does is it shows you who's got the resolve and who gets a little bit shaky at times.

"I thought, always, that the first 12 months was going to be about that, the structure of our side, and we're probably a little bit different than the Bulldogs in our structure.

"They've got a lot of guys around that 22, 23, 24 age bracket, who have been in the system now for four, five or six years … I think we've got 11 over 27 and I think we've got 21 under 12.

"We haven't got many in the middle-age bracket, so we've got to see who's ready and who's developed enough to take us forward straight away and, of the senior blokes, who do we really see as being part of our future?"

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/08/12/1123353502010.html