Author Topic: KB says Tiges are Hawks’ biggest threat (Adelaide Advertiser)  (Read 649 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kevin Bartlett tells Chris McDermott Richmond is Hawthorn’s biggest threat

The Advertiser
August 06, 2015 6:53PM

Chris McDermott: KB, it’s been too long.

KB: Have you got the Glenelg coaching job yet or do I need to fire up the charge again?

CM: No KB those days are over. It didn’t quite work. Anyway enough about me, now before we talk about your mob, is the game as bad as everyone is saying it is at the moment?

KB: Well the game can be better, that’s for sure. If there was no interchange! The game was meant to be 18 on 18 and the interchange rule has ruined it for mine. It’s turned it into a hybrid game and all the other problems stem from there.

CM: OK, so what’s the one thing we need to clean up then? The interchange obviously!

KB: Density around the ball is the biggest issue for me and all the congestion that it creates. I’m a firm believer that if the interchange goes, space will return to the game. Space to run into and space to put the ball into. All of a sudden the game changes. That takes us back to the interchange and if the interchange goes, density around the ball will go. Job done.

CM: Do you reckon the game handled the Adam Goodes situation well?

KB: It’s been a disappointing time for football. Opinions are divided on Adam but if Adam considers what happened racist then it is. That must be good enough for all of us and it must stop.

CM: Is it over then, or do you fear there’ll be more this weekend?

KB: I hope its over, but you know on my show over here on SEN, we had over 600 text messages in the first half and hour and 599 of them said, “I’m not racist. I just don’t like Adam” but you know what, it’s very hard convincing people that is the case. Again if Adam thinks it’s racist then it is, end of story. As for the weekned, I really dont know, I hope its over, I really do but I’m not sure.

CM: Let’s talk footy KB, are the masses gathering at Punt Rd? The black and gold look to be contenders.

KB: Oh we’re from Tigerland! Genuine contenders. Genuine contenders. No doubt about it.

You’ve just got to look at who they have beaten this year. Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Sydney. I think they are the biggest danger to Hawthorn winning the flag. The Hawks know how to play and how to beat Fremantle and Sydney but Richmond have something unknown about them.

They’ve got an X-Factor.

They press hard which is good and they are very physical. They’ve got the game to challenge Hawthorn.

CM: What’s different about this team in 2015. Damien Hardwick? Trent Cotchin? Jack Riewoldt? Alex Rance? What is it?

KB; No doubt they’ve got some great players. Not good, great! Rance in defence, Cotchin, Martin, Deledio and Co. through the middle, Riewoldt in attack. It’s a very, very good side.

As a team, they move the ball quicker now. They catch teams off-guard with that quick movement and it makes them a very dangerous team.

Speed of ball movement is the key and it allows their talent the freedom to score heavily. They’ve matured, no doubt and that helps. They’re well coached. It’s time! It’s time!

CM: The Tigers’ form on the road has been outstanding, it will be a full house at Adelaide Oval tonight against the Crows. That won’t be easy?

KB: I feel sorry for the Crows. I do. They must be emotionally fatigued. They have to be and that would make it very difficult for them to focus, I would think.

They are “no danger” to the Tigers. No danger under the circumstances.

CM: Quick word on Port Adelaide before I let you go.

KB: Port Adelaide eh! They’ve been disappointing. Given what they did last year, how good they were and how close they came to playing off in the grand final I thought they were premiership stuff this year, but they’ve had no consistency and been very disappointing.

The players have been good this year but they haven’t been great and when the pressure came on them from other clubs, they didn’t and perhaps couldn’t respond.

Disappointing.

CM: KB its been a great to catch up again. I owe you.

KB: Call me any time you’re looking for that coaching job!

CM: Yeah, yeah, very funny. Stop laughing! Thanks KB.

http://www.news.com.au/national/kevin-bartlett-tells-chris-mcdermott-richmond-is-hawthorns-biggest-threat/story-e6frfkp9-1227473126865