Author Topic: Good luck to the Swannies  (Read 1539 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Good luck to the Swannies
« on: September 17, 2005, 04:52:59 AM »
I wish it was us but anyway good luck to the Swannies next week. For the long suffering old South Melbourne supporters out there I hope they break their 72 year drought. Geez Jack Dyer was only 19yo when they last won a flag. 

As for the Saints - no tap ruckman, a fragile defence and no more gloating bandwagoners :thumbsup

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Good luck to the Swannies
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 07:45:54 AM »
Yep, Swans are the team I adopted at the start of finals and last night got pretty excited. Grant Thomas is a total stuffn idiot, as are some stkilda fans.
Hope they can pull it off, depends how big bad goes at tribunal (doesn't look good).
Also I think they will do the Eagles, but if the cows win I think they will be to good.
Mates with a couple of old South supporters so here's hoping.
In the end IDGAF if the Tiges are not there, but I can't seem to watch a game without having someone to go for. :thumbsup

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 05:36:36 PM »
Poor Robert Harvey. What a waste being at St.Kilda.  :'(  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

That being said, go Sydney but FFS let's have a Melbourne team win it next year shall we? PHARK these interstate teams.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
Agree about Harvey. Felt sorry for him, Thompson, but not too many other saints.

Absolutely loved seeing Barry Hall stick it to the Saints bully boys. The way he took on three of them in the first quarter and they sent big scary Fraser down to him. Barry Hall would have floored the big fairy with one punch. In fact I'd imagine the body blow that floored Maguire was a good deal harder than it looked with Bazza's boxing education.

Then in the last quarter the way he ran Gehrig into the ground and was laughing all the time.

I really hope that he doesn't get a week. Consistency says he should, but it would be just another step in taking what used to be a tough game closer to netball.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 06:57:29 PM »
If there's a Melbourne side there next year then I want it to be us. I prefer a Sydney-West Coast grand final than seeing the Pies, Blues or Bombers having a shot at a flag (unless of course these get there and lose :rollin). You also don't have to worry about gloating fans at work :thumbsup.

Agree John about Robert Harvey. He deserves better.

Grant Thomas has one more year I'd reckon before the calls for his head come out.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »
lmfaoo@ Hall's rib tickler.

If the tribunal is consistent he's gone. But it's a joke that someone can get reported for a gut punch of that magnitude. It's no worse than all the elbowing in the sides and stomach that all the players engage in before every ball up.

Agree with the suck dik call to all the Saints bar Harvey and Thompson.

ROFLFMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@Grant Thomas.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 07:44:38 PM »

If the tribunal is consistent he's gone. But it's a joke that someone can get reported for a gut punch of that magnitude. It's no worse than all the elbowing in the sides and stomach that all the players engage in before every ball up.

If it was earlier in the year he'd get a week but in the second half of the year the tribunal have gone soft on rib ticklers as they showed on Ch 10 after the West Coast game - Judd and Archer's ones for example where they got off. So who knows what the tribunal will do?!  :-\

I agree with Malcolm Blight. Give a free + 50m against if you want to stamp that sort of thing out but to make someone miss a GF is bloody harsh.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 07:58:16 PM »

If it was earlier in the year he'd get a week but in the second half of the year the tribunal have gone soft on rib ticklers as they showed on Ch 10 after the West Coast game - Judd and Archer's ones for example where they got off. So who knows what the tribunal will do?!  :-\

I agree with Malcolm Blight. Give a free + 50m against if you want to stamp that sort of thing out but to make someone miss a GF is bloody harsh.

Yeah agree. Hope he doesn't get rubbed out for that.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 01:06:57 PM »
For the sake of those South Melbourne supporters, it would be great for them to finally win a flag.  Just wish they didn’t play such unattractive footy.  It’s mostly mind numbing to watch, unless they get a run on going.

I just think there’s something wrong with the direction our game is headed when teams get so far by limiting the opposition, rather than using the ability players have to win games.  To me, it just goes against the grain of what Aussie Rules is all about.  Good on the Swans players for their commitment, hard work and all the rest of it, but I’m not sure what it proves when teams set about limiting their opposition, rather than playing to their own strengths.  Are they better than the opposition, or just better at shutting them down?

If they win a premiership then I don’t suppose they will care, but we’re going to be ‘showcasing’ our great game to millions around the world.  Let’s hope it doesn’t become one of them grinding, dour matches that will bore people to tears and turn the non believers off watching it.  You don’t want to see the game played like basketball, but you don’t want to see 4 quarters of grind either.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 07:13:04 PM »
Congrats to the Swannies on finally breaking their long drought. All credit to Paul Roos on getting not the most polished  side to the holy grail. The AFL commission will be doing cartwheels that's for sure.

Worsfold will be chasing after a mobile key forward. Stuffed up big time going too tall and slow in the first half.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 08:54:36 PM »
Eagles didn't have a small crumber in the forward line with Matera out, and even though Sampi was playing more up the ground, he isn't a true crumber!

They might have some interest in Krakeour afterall!  :thumbsup