Author Topic: Scars of the past make Tigers fans nervous as perfect storm brews (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1966 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Scars of the past make Tigers fans nervous as perfect storm brews

Matt Cunningham
Herald-Sun
September 01, 2015 10:39AM

BEING a Richmond supporter can have a dramatic effect on one’s personality.

On the plus side, 35 years of unparalleled pain tends to develop the kind of resilience not seen in other supporters.

How else could so many fans keep turning up after three decades that have produced just two finals victories?

But the curse of the Tiger fan can also invoke what others might consider an unreasonable sense of dread.

It’s a feeling that anything that can go wrong almost certainly will.

A feeling enhanced by games like the one against the Gold Coast in 2012 when the Tigers managed to lose with a Karmichael Hunt goal after the siren despite leading by 16 points with less than two minutes to play.

Or the 2013 Elimination Final when Richmond dominated Carlton for a half but still managed to lose to a side that was only there because of the Essendon supplements saga.

It’s these scars that have Tiger fans fearing the worst heading into the final round of 2015.

Despite an exceptional season, a perfect storm is brewing that could leave Tiger fans left to deal with another year of what-ifs.

If Richmond loses to North Melbourne on Friday night, there’s a good chance the Tigers will be off to Adelaide to take on the red-hot Crows in the first Elimination final.

Despite nipping at the heals of the top 4 for weeks, there’s now a real chance the Tigers could face sudden death on the same ground where last year’s fairy tale run to the finals came to such a brutal end.

A game against Port Adelaide that was over in 10 minutes after we decided to kick against a howling gale.

One positive is that the Kangaroos are considering resting some of their biggest stars.

It looks like they’d rather lose this week’s game — and avoid any chance of that Adelaide trip themselves — than win it.

But that will be cold comfort to Tiger fans who would fancy the chances of the Fish Creek seconds if they were playing Richmond this week.

If the perfect storm does develop, let’s at least hope we decide to kick with the wind.

http://www.news.com.au/national/scars-of-the-past-make-tigers-fans-nervous-as-perfect-storm-brews/story-e6frfkp9-1227507416008

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
WANKER  :thumbsup

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
35 years of pain, my feet haven't touched the ground the last three seasons  :rollin
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
It's true.
Caracella and Balmey.

Hellenic Tiger

35 years of pain, my feet haven't touched the ground the last three seasons  :rollin

Mine weren't touching the ground during the second half of the 2013 EF and the first 20 minutes of the EF last year.

I was kicking the seat in front of me. ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Mine weren't touching the ground during the second half of the 2013 EF and the first 20 minutes of the EF last year.

:clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yeah true , I was throwing up at the time , a sorry finale indeed . I was just contending the 35 years grandstanding, like we re the demons with 39 wins in 8 years  :lol

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Go Dees  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Hellenic Tiger

6 of those 39 wins against us. In a 16,17 and 18 team competition.

2 of them in the last 2 seasons.

Cloud 9 stuff right there.

Cost us a Melbourne final last year, possibly one this year or possibly a top 4 position.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
Is that right.  Gee  :banghead

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Despite nipping at the heals of the top 4

Wheres 65?