Author Topic: Player Expectations 2006: Jay Schulz  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Player Expectations 2006: Jay Schulz
« on: November 08, 2005, 02:34:36 PM »
2005 was essentially a writeoff for Schulz, with an ugly ankle injury which he sustained in the Wizard Cup keeping him off the field until roughly mid-season, played in rounds 9 and 10 with little impact before going back to Coburg to gain some match fitness and put up some good games.

Reinjured the same ankle which he did in the Wiz Cup at Coburg but was nothing serious, and after a few good performances at Coburg played in the last two rounds of the season for Richmond, and played quite well.

Injury withstanding, 2006 is looming as a make or break year for Schulz, as it will be his 4th year at the club and has yet do deliver on the potential that saw him drafted #12 in the 2002 draft.

He will turn 21 in April, so while he is not as old as some people might think, it is still time for him to take that next step up.

What are we expecting of Schulz this season?

I'd like to see 16 games out of him, hopefully he can average a goal a game, as it is more the likely that he'll split his playing time between defense and the forward line, but might spend enitre games in defense if his good enough.

What are the rest of you guys expecting out of him?

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Player Expectations 2006: Jay Schulz
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »
Strange u should mention that.

Driving home last night stuck in traffic on linlithgow saw the Tigers running a lap of the Tan. Looked like a pretty motley crew in there civies. One was even wearing a north jumper. :-\ Must have a lot of try outs in the pack me presumes. Anyways was having a bit of a gawk as they went past and low and behold tailed of last at least 100 or so metres behind the main pack was none other than Schultzy. I was surprised even at this stage of the pre season he would not be busting a gut to stay in the leading group at least.

Was going to post about this actually because with him was this james qwilty looking type of character (any of the wise heads around here shed any light on whom that may be) he looked as tall as schulz and had the big afro happening.  ???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 05:11:47 AM »
I guess I'm hoping Sarge firstly plays the vast majority of 2006 in the seniors. Touchwood he gets a injury-free run next year. I still believe he's more a forward but if he can hold down a key defensive position such as CHB then that's great for us as we only have Gas as a true key defender but we use Razor and Chubba because we have no other options. Secondly I'm hoping Sarge reaches a level where he performs consistently to a similar standard as the last 2 rounds this year. Sarge has played 25 games but has only reached 10 or more possies in 4 of them. As a tall he's only taken 5 marks or more in a match on two occasions. His stats are nothing to write home about:

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1239&SeasonID=ALL

Was going to post about this actually because with him was this james qwilty looking type of character (any of the wise heads around here shed any light on whom that may be) he looked as tall as schulz and had the big afro happening.  ???

Is Stephen Mount making a comeback after 20 years?  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »
Injury prone, wont make it.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:35:28 AM »
Isn't this the 2nd time you've said Schulz is injury prone?

I'll ask again, how is he injury prone?

One (major) injury doesn't make him injury prone!

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 12:03:22 PM »

Yes, and I'll keep saying it until he shows me something different. Razor who said I was baseing this assumption on "one major injury" he's had a number of injuries in training and game time.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »

Yes, and I'll keep saying it until he shows me something different. Razor who said I was baseing this assumption on "one major injury" he's had a number of injuries in training and game time.
Care to make a list?

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »
I think young Schulz has gone down a few times, though they have been impact injuries rather than soft tissue (IIRC). However, if he's the one Terry has pointed the finger at in his article then 2006 could already be shot for Jay. Perhaps he should learn the Whale's trick to managing the tan.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »
lets hope he has a good season...we would get more if Wallace decided he didnt want him next year

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 11:28:53 AM »
Sarge has a big future if he can turn potential into performance and have a good run with injuries