Author Topic: Richmond 2016: Ben Griffiths needs luck, Kamdyn McIntosh ready to shine (H-Sun)  (Read 1034 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths needs luck, Kamdyn McIntosh ready to shine

Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS
22 December 2015

THREE years and three elimination final exits.

Also known as the Tiger conundrum or the stuff of nightmares for coach Damien Hardwick.

Yet, not much needs to change for Richmond to head deep into September next year, with its best 22 largely unchanged from this season.

But one Tiger will be hoping something does change — his luck.

Ben Griffiths was part of the Tigers’ three-pronged tall forward attack before a shocking run of injuries disrupted the form he’d been trying to find for years.

Not only did he miss games through concussion and a minor calf strain, but he was also sidelined for eight weeks after requiring two separate surgeries on his shoulder and finger.

“The off season gives you a lot of time to reflect and look at the stuff that you need to work on,” Ben Griffiths told the club website.

“You can go back to the drawing board, and start afresh on day one of preseason.

“The way im going at the moment, I’m definitely pushing myself to new levels.

“I’ve trimmed down a little bit to try and increase my endurance, but for me, the main thing is contested marking, as it is for most of the taller guys.”

Despite missing a large chunk of the season, Griffiths returned for the Tigers’ elimination final loss to North Melbourne.

Outmuscled by the eighth-placed Kangaroos, Griffiths says the Tigers’ focus this off-season has been on their physicality.

“We need to get that ruthlessness about us and I think we’re all working extremely hard against each other and against ourselves to drive better standards and get better,” Griffiths said.

“The competition within the club is great because it forces each and every one of us to train harder and get better, which in turn is a better thing for the club so the competition can only be a really positive thing for us.”

LOCKS

Alex Rance, Bachar Houli, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Ivan Maric, Anthony Miles, Brett Deledio

RISING STAR

Daniel Rioli

The standout at this year’s draft combine, Rioli has elite speed and endurance, not to mention that very famous surname. Originally from the Tiwi Islands, Rioli recorded the fastest time in the 30 metre repeat sprints, and finished in the top 10 in four other categories to receive the award for best all-round performer at the combine. Already, he’s confident that he’s faster than “cousin” Cyril Rioli.

THE BUBBLE

Kamdyn McIntosh

The 21-year-old’s AFL debut in Round 1 was outstanding. Not only did he collect 23 disposals, nine marks and a goal, but was also awarded with a Rising Star nomination. He went on to play in all 23 games for the Tigers, averaging 15.4 disposals in what was an impressively consistent debut season. With another preseason under his belt, the WA native possesses all the qualities to become one of the Tigers’ elite players next year.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR ...

Dustin Martin

And not because the 24-year-old needs to prove himself on the field. Rarely beaten one-on-one, Martin capped off his wonderful 2015 season with a second placing in the Richmond best and fairest. But then December happened and the well-documented chopstick incident, which is now the subject of a police investigation. Regardless of the outcome, it’s going to be a big year for Martin, who will face some kind of internal sanction from the Tigers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-best-22-2016-ben-griffiths-needs-luck-kamdyn-mcintosh-ready-to-shine-/news-story/baa8d59a0ddfa209f99716320fcfffac

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Does Griff need luck or just need to work harder and smarter?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Bit of both I reckon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
So Dustin Martin's not a lock? ok then...

Bit of both I reckon

So with him being injury prone, lazy and dumb, it's fair to say he's up against it....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.