Author Topic: We're off and Running (RFC site)  (Read 1222 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
We're off and Running (RFC site)
« on: November 09, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »
We’re off and running
3:14:04 PM Wed 9 November, 2005
Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

Last Monday, all Richmond players were back at training after a long break since our Round 22 match against Geelong. Many of the younger boys have been doing running, weights and general training for a few weeks, however, it was the first appearance from most of our senior brigade.

On the first day there is always an air of expectation with regards to what the new season will deliver, and how hard the pre-season period will be. It’s been a long journey for some, with players such as Matthew Richardson and Greg Stafford now into their 14th pre-season.

One thing which has not changed over my 30 years in the game, is the need for continuity throughout the pre-season in order to perform at your peak over the course of the premiership season.

Last year, Chris Newman was the equal of any Richmond player during the pre-season period, and he virtually never missed a session over five months. The ground-work he laid was evident, with his improvement throughout the 2005 season, and he was rewarded with selection in the Australian team for the recent International Rules series against Ireland.

On Monday we welcomed Patrick Bowden to Tigerland. It must be said, from day one, that the decision to pick him up during trade week was not an emotional one. Many could see this as a good news story with his family heritage at Richmond, but as I have already stated to Patrick, it was my knowledge of his game over many years that set up this new opportunity for him. Patrick must be determined to forge his own position within the Club . . .

We also congratulated Nathan Foley and Will Thursfield for their efforts last season, which has seen them rise from our rookie list to now becoming senior-list players for 2006. It’s pleasing to reward those who put in the effort, especially for a player such as Nathan, who has always battled against the stereotype attitudes at top-level football. Many have regarded him as being too small and not athletic enough to make the grade, but he now gets the opportunity to have a crack at the big time without obstacles in his way.

The Club currently has a few other invitees training with us in the lead-up to the National Draft, the pre-season Draft and the Rookie Draft. At the moment, however, there have been no guarantees given to any of these young, aspiring players.

The Club’s direction was mapped out by key managers such as CEO Steven Wright and Director of Football Greg Miller, so that all players were clear on our pathway for the future. Once the meeting was over the hard work began, with the players heading off to the ‘Tan’ for their first pre-season time trial.

As usual, there was a fair degree of difference between those who had obviously worked hard over the off-season, compared to those who had taken the time to simply rest. The players were formally advised that the break was a mental one, not a physical one.

All players need a couple of weeks to allow their bodies to recuperate after a tough year, but then they need to get back into some rigorous training to keep their fitness levels up for the pre-season ahead. Those who are sensible, keep off their legs and cross-train by swimming and cycling. Pursuits such as rowing also are good for general fitness.

It amazes me when young players, in particular, who are desperate to make the grade, come back well behind the standards expected. Preparation, in all aspects of the game, will be covered off from now until the opening round of the ’06 season.

The pre-season period is just so vital from a conditioning perspective. By the time we hit Christmas, we need all players to have a sound physical base, so that we can attack training, the practice match series and NAB Cup after Christmas without any hiccups. There is nothing worse than seeing your side run out for Round 1 under-prepared after five months of preparation time . . .

I look forward to seeing Tiger fans down watching the boys go through their paces at some stage during the pre-season.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=236551
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: We're off and Running (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 04:42:07 PM »
It amazes me when young players, in particular, who are desperate to make the grade, come back well behind the standards expected.
Wallace is SO having a crack at someone there!  :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 04:48:02 PM »
It amazes me when young players, in particular, who are desperate to make the grade, come back well behind the standards expected.

Sounds like some young players have come back in not so good condition. I wonder who they were and I hope they were given a good rocket by the coach
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 05:13:03 PM »
I look forward to seeing Tiger fans down watching the boys go through their paces at some stage during the pre-season.

While I am holidays Tezza, I'd love to come down and watch the lads train but it's a bit hard to know when trainings on seeing there's no details on the RFC site  :banghead :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »

While I am holidays Tezza, I'd love to come down and watch the lads train but it's a bit hard to know when trainings on seeing there's no details on the RFC site  :banghead :help

Yeah I was planning to go down sometime this week but have no idea when or where training is happening  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 05:51:33 PM »

Sounds like some young players have come back in not so good condition. I wonder who they were and I hope they were given a good rocket by the coach

They'll sure notice it after a few 200-400-800m runs back to back to back :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd