Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 2016 expectations?  (Read 3394 times)

1980 I Was There

Re: Dustin Martin - 2016 expectations?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 03:57:24 PM »
Dusty is only one of three Tigers along with KB and Flea that have averaged 20+ disposals and a goal per game (minimum 100 games).

Martin has scored 141 goals in 131 games and is averaging 23.5 disposals.

Bartlett booted 778 goals in his Club record 403 games and averaged 22.7 disposals per match.

Weightman kicked 344 goals in 274 games and averaged 20.8 disposals.

Read more: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-02-24/martin-in-elite-tiger-company
A few other impressive stats that can't be compared to old time players as those stats weren't around then are...

Contested possessions at an average of 8.41 per match which is third best at Tigerland (Cotchin and Edwards) and is on par with many other current good players, but still, not even close to Ablett, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Fyfe and Josh Kennedy with the best average at 14.63 as  well as many others.

Uncontested Possessions is much better at an average of 15.28 which is massive. Better than Fyfe, Ablett, Dangerfield and Luke Hodge and just short of Sam Mitchell who has an average of 15.86 and the best average from Gaff with 17.19

There are some downsides to all of these very impressive stats though.  Because it's what a player does with the ball when they get it that makes them elite.

Dusty has a clearance average of 3.35 which is pretty good but his clangers are what makes him just an above average player not elite which is 3.30.
Only Trent Cotchin has a better clearance average at Tigerland with 4.77 which is not even close to Fyfe or Mitchell.

Another downside for Dusty when not in possession of the ball but has a direct impact, is the 1%ers with an average of just 1.00, the lowest at Tigerland (with established players) considering Hodge has a good average of 2.85 per match and just keeping in mind that backmen have a very high average of 1%ers such as Rory Thompson with an average of 7.85

Frees for and against are another concern as well with a much greater average for frees against.

I'm a Dusty fan and he is my favourite player, so if he fixes a few issues he will be the best we've ever seen.
As for this year, anything is possible and let's hope it is.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 07:50:33 PM »
These practice games show that Dusty is again going to play large chunks of games up forward as well bursts through the middle with the fewer rotations this year. All about pacing himself to finish games as strongly as he begins them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »
I hope the team gets their poo together so Dusty can cut loose in the midfield/forward of centre and kick a solid haul. This guy can be better than Fyfe
so far off Fyfe atm it aint funny.
When freo struggle it is Fyfe who drags his team over the line. You dont see Nat Fyfe go missing in games he finds a way to impose himself . His c/p's and clearance work twice as many  is so far in front of Dusty it also  aint funny.
I seem to recall Dusty single handedly keeping us in the game against the WCE at the G last year. He didn't drag us over the line but kept us within striking distance. If it wasn't for him we would have been blown off our own home ground. He was brilliant that night.
Averaging 8.65 Clearances and 17.8 C/P'S Say hello.You can see why this guy always leads from the front and is rarely if ever nullified in games.
Not a slight on Martin  he has been very good but if had the choice id take Fyfe anyday.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »
I hope the team gets their poo together so Dusty can cut loose in the midfield/forward of centre and kick a solid haul. This guy can be better than Fyfe
When freo struggle it is Fyfe who drags his team over the line. You dont see Nat Fyfe go missing in games he finds a way to impose himself . His c/p's and clearance work twice as many  is so far in front of Dusty it also  aint funny.
I seem to recall Dusty single handedly keeping us in the game against the WCE at the G last year. He didn't drag us over the line but kept us within striking distance. If it wasn't for him we would have been blown off our own home ground. He was brilliant that night.
Averaging 8.65 Clearances and 17.8 C/P'S Say hello.You can see why this guy always leads from the front and is rarely if ever nullified in games.
Not a slight on Martin  he has been very good but if had the choice id take Fyfe anyday.
Fyfe wins easily in aerial supremacy but I think Dusty has him just covered in kicking and goal scoring. If it were up to me, I'd have both!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
Fyfe wins easily in aerial supremacy but I think Dusty has him just covered in kicking and goal scoring. If it were up to me, I'd have both!
Dusty does not have him covered anywhere except he kicks a few more goals than Fyfe.
I agree with wanting both though.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
I'd like to see Dusty playing a primarily midfield role under the feet of a dominant ruck, then he would push up closer to the Fyfe types. 
Fyfe is the benchmark midfielder atm, but what an advantage he has from getting silver tray service from a once in a lifetime ruck like Sandilands.  We will learn more about Fyfe after Sandilands finishes up ...   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »
Menadue > Fyfe  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Dusty does not have him covered anywhere except he kicks a few more goals than Fyfe.
I agree with wanting both though.

Better kick

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 02:07:11 AM »
I did a footywire compare and for season 2015

Dustin Martin   Name   Nathan Fyfe
Richmond Tigers   Team   Fremantle Dockers
Midfield, Forward   Position   Midfield
131   Career Games   112
Bendigo Pioneers   Origin   Claremont
June 26, 1991   Date of Birth   September 18, 1991
24yr 8mth   Age   24yr 5mth
187cm   Height   190cm
88kg   Weight   85kg
2009 National Draft   Last Drafted In   2009 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #3   Last Draft Position   Round 2, Pick #20
Richmond Tigers   Last Drafted By   Fremantle Dockers
2015   Stats for Season   2015
23   Games   20
17.4   Kicks Per Game   13.8
8.6   Handballs Per Game   15.0
26.0   Disposals Per Game   28.8
4.5   Marks Per Game   4.2
1.0   Goals Per Game   0.8
0.6   Behinds Per Game   0.7
3.9   Tackles Per Game   4.3
0   Hitouts Per Game   2.1
4.4   Inside 50s Per Game   4.4
0.5   Goal Assists Per Game   0.7
0.7   Frees For Per Game   1.2
1.4   Frees Against Per Game   2.2
8.9   Contested Possessions Per Game   17.8
17.4   Uncontested Possessions Per Game   11.4
17.6   Effective Disposals Per Game   20.0
67.7%   Effective Disposals % Per Game   69.4%
4.0   Clangers Per Game   3.8
0.5   Contested Marks Per Game   1.6
0.4   Marks Inside 50 Per Game   1.0
3.2   Clearances Per Game   8.6
2.3   Rebound 50s Per Game   1.2
0.9   One Percenters Per Game   1.6
0.4   Bounces Per Game   0.4
79.9   Time On Ground % Per Game   87.0

I've highlighted the parts where Martin beat Fyfe in 2015. Now I said he could be better than Fyfe. Going by these stats IMO "so far off" I think is a bit of an exaggeration. Bearing in mind Martin was deployed at half back at times (hence higher rebound 50) and Dimma doesn't use him as a battering ram any more.

I definitely  think Martin can improve. I think if Yarran sorts himself out so Martin doesn't have to play half back Martin's contested ball use will go up. I don't begrudge Martin for having a bit of a high clanger count/lowish disposal efficiency because not only does he moves the ball by foot mainly he usually goes for kicks with a high degree of difficulty to slice through opposition set ups.

As 1980 touched on he has areas he definitely needs to improve (tackle count, 1%, constested possessions) but I seriously don't think he is that far off from Fyfe that he can't exceed him

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »
Lies, dam lies and statistics.

As good as fyfe is which is very good his kicking if iffy

Dusty is a prodigious kick.  I dare say some of his kicks marked as ineffective are anything but   
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus