Author Topic: Tigers can't afford another slow start to a season: Richo ... (Advertiser)  (Read 405 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo’s fear as Tigers face Monsters Inc

Adelaide Advertiser
9 April 2016

RILED by unfair “tainting” of Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin, legend Matthew Richardson now fears there’s no way back if Richmond’s poor start to 2016 continues against Adelaide’s massive attack at Etihad Stadium.

Richardson rates Adelaide’s monster forward posse led by skipper Taylor Walker the best in the business fed by a unit given a licence to thrill under new coach Don Pyke.

Today’s clash is of strategic importance for Adelaide given its tough draw while Richardson warns Richmond can’t be slow out of the gates again.

“I don’t think you can rely on getting going at round six this year. You wouldn’t want to do that three years in a row,” said triple All Australian and Channel Seven expert Richardson.

“It is a bit of a trend, something they need to reverse.”

Richmond beat only strugglers Carlton and Brisbane in a 2-4 start last season before surging to a third straight finals series. The Tigers were forced to win nine straight games to reach September in 2014 before being blown off Adelaide Oval by Port Adelaide in the elimination final.

“If you are in the middle bracket and knock off teams in that area then it will help towards the end of the season that’s for sure,” said Richardson told The Advertiser.

“Everyone knows you shouldn’t lose games from that position against Collingwood last week.

“We are only two games into the year, they are playing scratchy footy but can improve.”

A one-point meltdown against Collingwood should be balanced by the absence of team leaders Brett Deledio, Shane Edwards and Ivan Maric. Richardson is dismayed by “over the top” hostility towards Cotchin.

“I think he has been tainted. People are still holding that poor elimination final against North Melbourne last season against him and because Richmond started slowly he is being unfairly targeted,” said Richardson with Cotchin winning 13 of 38 possessions contested against the Magpies.

“When you are a leader and the team has hasn’t played well you expect to get a little bit of heat and I think it has gone a little bit overboard.

“Maric, Edwards and Deledio being out is why they might be slow out the blocks.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/matthew-richardson-fears-for-richmonds-season-if-they-lose-to-adelaide/news-story/aeae1d57a359a74474b4232a4cb6986a

tony_montana

Our preparation hasn't helped, first 2 and a half games we have looked way off, skills are as bad as I've seen