Author Topic: How many rookies do you think the club will take?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
How many rookies do you think the club will take?
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:05:54 PM »

letsgetiton!

Re: How many rookies do you think the club will take?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 06:28:01 AM »
i would go for one rookie and at woewoewoedens cheap price he must be considered

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:04:10 PM »
I'm thinking 4, hopefully a project ruckmen is one of them!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller - we will be taking 4 rookies
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:07:44 PM »
Greg Miller was on SEN just before 2pm about the PSD/rookie drafts tomorrow:

* We will be taking 4 rookies and pass on the PSD. We would only have used our PSD pick if we believed the first rookie we are after was going to be selected by another club before our pick. We don't believe that will be the case.

* Order of picks will be cat and mouse. They won't be necessarily in the the order we may rate them. If we think another club(s) is after one of the four we are after then they may be picked by us first.

* He was asked about Woewodin and replied "ah...no". Mentioned how pace is needed to play footy now especially with the new rules. Also mentioned that he came from Collingwood who had had an ordinary year.

* Clubs are looking for youth. If you're not aiming for the top 4 then you're in a rebuilding phase. However ruckman will still move between clubs (because of their value).

* Greg was also asked about losing players for nothing (eg. Camporeale from Carlton to Essendon). He said you don't accept a trade that you're not happy with just for the sake of a trade. We did that we Ray Hall two years ago and convinced him to stay. If that doesn't work then so be it.

* Everything going well at Tigerland - preseason, stability, etc...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:52:15 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 03:25:42 PM »
I'll be out all tomorrow morning and likely most of the avo so i won't now who we got till the dust has settled!

Sounds like its going to be bluff city!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »

Sounds like its going to be bluff city!

i agree

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Miller - we will be taking 4 rookies
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 03:43:04 PM »

* We will be taking 4 rookies and pass on the PSD. We would only have used our PSD pick we believed the first rookie we are after was going to be selected by another club before our pick. We don't believe that will be the case.

Works for me :cheers

* Order of picks will be cat and mouse. They won't be necessarily in the the order we may rate them. If we think another club(s) is after one of the four we are after then they may be picked by us first.

Gee I wish we had access tot he same web-cast that the clubs will have - would love to actually hear it - all the moaning and groaning ;D

* He was asked about Woewodin and replied "ah...no". Mentioned how pace is needed to play footy now especially with the new rules. Also mentioned that he came from Collingwood who had had a ordinary year.

Thank-you Greg the voice of reason and common sense on Woe-Woe-ful-din saga :bow :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger PSD doubt (afl site)
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »
Tiger PSD doubt
4:01:49 PM Mon 12 December, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond is an unlikely starter in Tuesday's NAB pre-season draft as the Tigers' instead look to concentrate on the rookie draft following the success last year of Will Thursfield and Nathan Foley.

Both have been elevated onto the senior list for 2006 following impressive performances this year - when they were promoted onto the senior list following long-term injuries to senior players - with both registering six matches for the season.

Thursfield, the first pick in last year's rookie draft and the Tigers only selection with Foley having been picked up the year before, was particularly impressive and made a memorable debut in round 14 when he played on Michael O'Loughlin as Richmond beat the eventual premiers by a point.

The Tigers have pick five in the pre-season draft and can select up to five rookies in the rookie draft.

Rookies must be aged at least 18 but under 23 as of December 31 this year, can be on club lists for two years but can only be promoted onto the senior list when a vacancy arises due to a long-term injury.

Due to the Tigers' tight financial position, football manager Paul Armstrong told Sportal that if the Tigers' used their pre-season pick to fill the final spot on their senior list then it would mean the club would be forced to take less rookies.

"It might mean we only take three rookies compared to four," he said.

"Last year we were only able to take one (Thursfield) and we already had Foley who was in his second year (as a rookie) and now both are on our senior list so we had some success there."

"And this year we think there might be a few good rookies."

With their first pick in the rookie draft coming at selection five, the Tigers should be able to get one of the top youngsters overlooked in last month's national draft.

However Armstrong did not rule out the Tigers using their pre-season draft pick depending on which players Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon used with their first four selections.

"We will see how it falls with the first four picks but we are more unlikely than likely to participate (in the pre-season draft)," Armstrong said.

The Tigers had been linked to ex-Essendon pair Ben Haynes and Marc Bullen as well as ex-Kangaroo Michael Stevens but if the club elects not to use its pre-season draft pick on any of this trio then none would be available to be rookie-listed as all are aged over 23.

However leaving a vacancy on the senior list by not using the pre-season draft pick would then enable the Tigers to promote one of their rookie list players onto the senior list at any time if he showed good form at VFL level.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=240332

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 06:07:57 PM »
How old is Cayden Beetham?

Still eligible for the rookie list?

ALso see that Armstrong from Melbourne is still able to be rookied, i think he has something to offer.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
Beetham would be close, my guess is he'd be ineligible!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:27:50 PM »
How old is Cayden Beetham?

Still eligible for the rookie list?

He was picked up by thec Saints in 1999 draft so he must be now 23-24 y.o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 07:41:24 PM »
ALso see that Armstrong from Melbourne is still able to be rookied, i think he has something to offer.

Tend to agree with you Bull. I reckon it may be worth a punt on a recycle AFL player who's eligible for the rookies. That is take 3 untried kids and 1 ready made player as a rookie. I reckon that's what the Demons are going to do with young Braydon Shaw
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Darrell

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 09:40:47 PM »
I hope they take 5 the more the better