Author Topic: Tigers warned over unlisted players (sanctions can apply to breaches :( )  (Read 1741 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Clubs warned over unlisted players
 By Stephen Rielly
The Age
December 10, 2005

IF THE creeping importance of the rookie draft was not confirmed by the performances of Brett Kirk and Dean Cox in the grand final or the fact that 21 rookies were promoted to senior lists in October, it has been verified in the secret and illegal testing of potential draftees before Tuesday's draft.

In the past fortnight, the AFL twice has sent written warnings to the clubs, reminding them that they are forbidden from training and testing unlisted players without the knowledge and permission of the league, which then alerts the football community, via the publication of a list, of who is training where.

It is believed that the league was prompted to take action after at least three clubs, Richmond and Essendon among them, brought players to training sessions without permission, presumably to keep their interest and intentions for Tuesday a secret.

It is believed Richmond has been asked to explain why it should not be penalised for putting 30 players through three hours of testing at Punt Road the day after the national draft.

No more than 20 unlisted players, who must have prior permission, are allowed to train with a club at any one time.

It is believed that the Dons trialled Josh Wilson, a former Eastern Ranges player, without permission and that West Australian defender Alan Toovey has been training with Collingwood without notice.

Toovey has not been listed by the AFL, although the Magpies claim notification was provided and that the lack of publication is an administrative oversight.

The first of the warnings was sent out to club chief executives, football managers and recruiting managers two days after Richmond's Sunday session, which was held on November 27.

Signed by the AFL's football administration manager, Rod Austin, it concludes with the warning: "It should be noted sanctions can apply for breaches of this rule."

The league is opposed to individual testing, primarily so that potential draftees aren't asked to "perform", like seals, for every club that has an interest in them.

Moreover, there is a view that the integrity of the annual draft camp, which provides all 16 clubs with the same data, could be compromised if greater detail on a potential draftee is revealed by individual testing that may not be financially possible to all clubs.

The rookie draft was once lowly regarded, ranking below the pre-season draft until clubs such as Melbourne, which produced Russell Robertson and James McDonald out of the 1997 rookie draft, and Essendon, which promoted Mark Johnson and Dean Rioli off its rookie list in 1998 and 1999, revealed its low-cost potential. Rookies, either teenagers overlooked in the national draft or players who are 23 and under next year who are given a second AFL chance, are paid about $20,000 a year and unless they are from interstate, a one-year commitment is involved. A national draftee is offered, at a minimum, a two-year contract and paid at least twice the amount of a rookie.

In recent years, the rookie draft has become the richest source of players behind only the national draft to the extent, it seems, that the rules are being bent. Each club is allowed to select up to six rookies and only those limited by a lack of funds do not take their full quota. Cox and Kirk were among the eight former rookies who played in this year's grand final and apart from the 21 rookies promoted to senior lists this year, a further 20 were retained by their clubs for 2006.

On the other hand, in the pre-season draft, which precedes the rookie draft on Tuesday, it is unlikely that any more than 10 players will be selected.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/clubs-warned-over-unlisted-players/2005/12/09/1134086810503.html#

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers warned over unlisted players (sanctions can apply to breaches :( )
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 05:20:36 AM »
I hope this is just another beat-up of a story on a slow news day and we've dotted our i's and crossed out t's on this :-\.

Given we are running a tight financial ship and keeping a tight reign on who we pick up in the drafts even just a fine could prove costly if this ever went far as sanctions.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 12:19:38 PM »
May I suggest that if the Tigers are in strife over this then the Saints should be asked to explain why they shouldn't be sactioned as well....

The young bloke who they took with their last pick - the draft "smokie" (don't remember his name) well he didn't have permission to train with the Saints leading up to the national draft. But in his first interview he was asked something along the lines of was he looking forward to training and meeting the players and his answer was he already been doing some training at Moorabbin

Just want some consistency folks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 12:42:09 PM »
Why is it against the rules to try out rookies without the AFL being "permission"?

Why is the league to power hungry that they will only let kids train at clubs if given "permission", it really doesn't have anything to do with them!

The AFL is starting to get ridiculous!  :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 08:46:50 PM »
Just want some consistency folks

Exactly WP.

There's also a spirit to these rules which we didn't violate. The rules are designed to stop clubs putting kids through hoops and giving them the runaround just for the hell of it. We were genuinely looking at the 30 draftees on the Sunday after the draft (with other club spies in attendance) and told those that we weren't going to rookie list that we weren't interested in them straight afterwards. We didn't give them the run around. We now are looking at the final 9 with a genuine interest in all of them as every other club is doing.     

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 08:52:57 PM »

There's also a spirit to these rules which we didn't violate. The rules are designed to stop clubs putting kids through hoops and giving them the runaround just for the hell of it. We were genuinely looking at the 30 draftees on the Sunday after the draft (with other club spies in attendance) and told those that we weren't going to rookie list that we weren't interested in them straight afterwards. We didn't give them the run around. We now are looking at the final 9 with a genuine interest in all of them as every other club is doing.     

Perhaps the AFL are just a bit peeved because they didn't think of it themselves and therefore were unable to sell it off to the highest bidder as something like the AFL's Rookie Rumba :scream ;D

I mean let's be honest you'll find most of the kids that were at Punt Road on the Sunday were not at the Draft Camp so this was probably their only way to get to try out for AFL clubs seeing the varuious Club spies were there ;)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 06:25:08 AM »
the afl are a bunch of w@nkers. power hungry up the backside poo pushers! i swear anderson and vladimir dimitrioiloveitinthebum are doing each other and are on a mission to kill afl

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:39:39 PM »
So the club is in hot water for allowing too many kids to train with us without AFL approval ? How many of these 30 players werent allowed? Why is it not allowed? I'm totally confused and clearly missing something here.  ???

If the club gets a fine would this then mean we will be taking less rookies? Those who have donated their hard earned cash to get another rookie will be pi$$ed LMAO !
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:56:04 PM »
So the club is in hot water for allowing too many kids to train with us without AFL approval ? How many of these 30 players werent allowed? Why is it not allowed? I'm totally confused and clearly missing something here.  ???

Supposedly nearly all 30 of them weren't allowed PRR ;D

Why? Because Adrian Anderson didn't know about it - now I am not sure if that's because Andy D hadn't told him or the fact the Andy D didn't know either. You see Andrian A, knows nothing it seems unless Andy D  tells him and Andy D, well IIRC he was on holidays when the draft was on

So the simple answer as to why is probably best summed up this way..............

Who knows, who cares :rollin

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
It's ridiculous that we might be penalised for simply having a bunch of kids down for a training run!

This better not affact how many rookies we take, as if the club is being faced with a large fine it might play it safe and not select as many rookies as we could, so if we do have to pay a fine we're not blowing our set budget!

The entire AFL drafts and trades rules need a BIG change, nearly every aspect of it is ridiculous and archaic!

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 03:38:20 PM »
Well I had a bit of a think about this morning and here's my reason why I believe the AFL needs to know:

Is it possible to not nominate for the national draft but still be picked up as a rookie? If so then a club could basically hide a top talented kid away from the national draft pick him up in the rookie draft and then after 1 year sign him up to a contract and not worry about another club getting him.

If not then the AFL dont have a clue and wouldnt know what day it is as there would be no reason why they need to know whom is training with whom.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:57:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure kids can't do that!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
Well I had a bit of a think about this morning and here's my reason why I believe the AFL needs to know:

Is it possible to not nominate for the national draft but still be picked up as a rookie? If so then a club could basically hide a top talented kid away from the national draft pick him up in the rookie draft and then after 1 year sign him up to a contract and not worry about another club getting him.

Gee I wonder if hiding kids has ever happened before west of Bordertown. Nah the c_ows would have to come home before such a thing lol.