Author Topic: Dusty should be played in the forward half: Pendlebury (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1478 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pies star gives Tigers some Dusty advice

JAY CLARK,
Herald Sun
Feb 4, 2017

COLLINGWOOD captain Scott Pendlebury says Richmond would benefit from moving superstar midfielder Dustin Martin back into the forward half of the ground.

Pendlebury, 29, said opposition teams would again be happy to see Martin in the defensive half, where he often roamed as part of a modified midfield role last season.

Martin, who is an equal third favourite ($11) to win this year’s Brownlow Medal with TAB, kicked only nine goals from 22 games last year.

It was the first time in six seasons he has kicked single-figure goals for the year as the Tigers fell out of finals contention with only eight wins.
Dustin Martin kicked only nine goals last season. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Pendlebury said the line breaking playmaker was far better suited to an attacking midfield role and a nightmare to match-up on close to goal.

“Any side that played against Dusty Martin last year, you were happy for him to do what he wants in the back half of the ground and getting around the back (of a teammate) and getting a handball, and kicking backwards or sideways,” Pendlebury said in his new podcast.

“Because along with (Patty) Dangerfield and (Nathan) Fyfe, he (Martin) is one of the best centre-forward players in the game.

“If he is within 60m or 70m (of goal) one-on one, I don’t think there’s too many defenders that can handle that.

“But I don’t think he was able to get into that position enough (last season) to be fully damaging.”

Martin, 25, has trained in a more attacking role this summer, following the arrival of midfield recruits Dion Prestia (Gold Coast) and Josh Caddy (Geelong).

The Tigers will open their pre-season series against Adelaide on Friday night, February 24 at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/scott-pendlebury-talks-up-dustin-martins-forward-capabilities/news-story/ee4a25c319d58b2679fb76732b4a36fa

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dusty should be played in the forward half: Pendlebury (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
Just dont agree with this. I dont mind them changing it up now and then with short stint here or there fwd or we are struggling to kick a score. But ffs we have never ever had adequate mid field depth and with Prestia and Caddy it is only now adequate.

He was our best mid both inside and out last yr. His inside game went to an elite level in fact his game finally became well rounded. He averaged 12 c/ps a game it is elite and where you want it. He also averaged 5 clearances  also elite.  He has always had a good outside game but what changed was his inside game went to another level and he became a far better player for it.
He has also become more accountable still a little way to go there but continually improving.

His uncontested ball was no greater last yr than it was the previous three yrs, but his c/ps had a significant increase.

For a long time now we have tried to turn onballlers and mids def  into fwds  or had fwds play midfield and that is fine adding a dimension to their games but we have done it  mainly at the expense of developing actual fwds JR aside.We are to often too clever by half.

Time to bite the bullet and actually play and develop actual fwds as fwds  and show the required patience as they develop..
Rioli, Bolton Lloyd, Lennon, Moore, Chol, Elton,Stengle come straight to mind.

Martin is our best mid by a country mile why rob peter to pay paul he should be playing midfield and getting a rest on the bench 90% of the time.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
Sorry Claw, don't totally agree with that post.
While Dusty is most definitely a gun mid, he and we need him to rest up forward to kick goals.

Dusty has always reminded me of Mark Ricciuto as he has a similar bulldozing midfield playing style. Roo was unstoppable as a resting forward in the goal square and I for one would love to see something similar from Dusty.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:51:32 PM »
With the reduced rotations, you are both right. Martin needs to be a mid first and foremost. However, on rotation, he should be played forward. Now with more inside mids, we can do that more often.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
We were always a far more dangerous side when Cotch and Dusty were alternating as the resting forward..

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
Don't mess with it too much, his game went to another level last season, absolute beast of a midfielder, don't drop his midfield time now!