Author Topic: Buckenara analyses Richmond's needs and players to target during offseason (HS)  (Read 2666 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Gary Buckenara analyses Richmond's needs and players to target during offseason

Gary Buckenara,
Herald Sun
19 June 2017

THE Tigers are playing a really good brand of footy and I’m happy to see, for Damien Hardwick’s sake, it’s translating into wins.

The priority for Richmond this off-season is to keep Dustin Martin. As a club I don’t think the Tigers can afford to lose him – their supporters will try to tear Punt Rd down if they don’t do everything they can to keep him.

There does come a point as a footy club though, as Hawthorn did with Lance Franklin, that you say we don’t want to lose him but we can’t do that deal, it would be irresponsible of us to do that deal so you let the player go begrudgingly.

I believe Martin loves Richmond and wants to stay so if they can get within $100,000-$200,000 or in the ball park of his best rival offer then he’ll be at the Tigers next year and beyond.

I don’t think Richmond would need to be tabling the best offer for him to stay.

The ruck position is a worry despite the addition of Toby Nankervis. He’s come in and done a really good job but he’ll get tired, so who’s going to be the back-up?

Ivan Maric is at the end of his career, Ivan Soldo is a developing ruckman and it’s hard to ask him to shoulder such a load and Shaun Hampson has his injury worries. So Richmond requires another experienced ruckman.

Richmond also needs another tall up forward to help Jack Riewoldt. Ben Griffiths on his day can be anything but he’s so inconsistent and has concussion issues and Todd Elton hasn’t stepped up.

The addition of another key forward would shore up their structure, while allowing Riewoldt to play closer to goal because that’s where he plays his best footy.

The defence is solid with Alex Rance, David Astbury and Dylan Grimes playing tall but you can never have enough key position players and targeting one would be smart list management.

The Tigers also need more players with pace and who use the ball well.

WHO SHOULD THEY TARGET?

Matthew Lobbe isn’t getting a game for Port Adelaide because Paddy Ryder is in such good form, so the Tigers should be asking whether he’d be interested in a move to Punt Rd.

Bringing him in would allow Nankervis to as a forward/ruck because he’s capable of taking a big mark and kicking a goal. I also worry about his endurance. Lobbe could come in and change the dynamic of the side and give Hardwick more options.

If Martin does leave, the Tigers should put themselves into the market for Josh Kelly — and they should make a big play because they would need to sell something to their members. He would be really beneficial because he’s got that outside speed and good ball use they need.

After missing out on Josh Schache, Sydney’s Sam Reid should be their second priority and would be a perfect fit to play alongside and take the pressure off Riewoldt.

He’s contracted, but Lachie Whitfield would be a good fit – he is a bit more of an outside player who uses the ball well and has good leg speed so that would help them.

Jason Johannisen should be a target as well to partner Bachar Houli off half-back as a line-breaker with pace and good skills who can get the ball into the forward line quickly.

The Tigers should also be in the market for Port’s Jasper Pittard and ask the question of Mitch McGovern from Adelaide even though he’s from Western Australia originally.

The addition of Reid would shore up their structure, as would going after a player like Steven May even though the Tigers’ defence has stood up well so far this year with Alex Rance and David Astbury playing key position.

UNTOUCHABLES

Dion Prestia, Dustin Martin*, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Daniel Rioli, Alex Rance, Toby Nankervis, Shai Bolton, Corey Ellis, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna.

*Would not be discussed as available to other clubs if he wasn’t a free agent

Gary Buckenara was Hawthorn’s sole full-time recruiting staff member from 2004 before the Hawks brought in Chris Pelchen to oversee the list build and then Graham Wright as recruiting and list manager and expanded the recruiting department.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/gary-buckenara-analyses-richmonds-needs-and-players-to-target-during-offseason/news-story/ba0b2653a12d85305d60cd48d3c8715a

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Untouchables- Corey Ellis  :lol
Cannot even get a game for us.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Wouldn't touch the majority of those players with a barge pole.

The only three i would consider: Kelly and Lobbe and whitfield
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Reid is an interesting one

Watched him carefully in the last qtr on Saturday, first 3 qtrs. weren't much

But...

Thought his last qtr was excellent (and not talking about the gimme goal gifted to him), they threw him back when they were defending their lead and his was very good
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
IMHO, we should have Buckenara as head of our list management.
He transformed Hawthorn.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Way too visionary for Richmond. #stability
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
He transformed Hawthorn.

But wasn't he sacked from that position?

And has he worked in the industry since

Not whacking just asking

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
He transformed Hawthorn.

Not whacking just asking
Good point,
Think his contract was nor renewed
Think he is out of the industry,
Unsure, but why not rattle the cage, at least get him in for an interview with Balmy

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
He transformed Hawthorn.

Not whacking just asking

was the footy manager @ North Ballarat for a short time

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Isn't he involved with the Frankston "vfl" team right now?