Author Topic: Tigers structure has flag-winning pedigree: Wallace (SEN)  (Read 1455 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers structure has flag-winning pedigree: Wallace (SEN)
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
Tigers structure has flag-winning pedigree: Wallace

By Alex Zaia
SEN
7 July 2017

Former Richmond coach Terry Wallace believes teams are having to alter their defensive planning to combat the Tigers pint-sized forward set up.

The much talked about ‘Mosquito Fleet’ are troubling defenders who aren’t adapt to facing dynamic, diminutive forwards.

Opposition clubs are having to manufacture ways to counter the Tigers' pacey offensive unit, which Wallace believes is similar to the way teams had to conjure up unique ways of stopping two-time premeirship coach Denis Pagan's famous "Pagan's Paddock" forward structure.

“Every side that comes up against the Tigers are having to change their structure, or they have to have their players play completely different roles against the Tigers then what they do coming up against other sides,” Wallace said on SEN’s Before the Games.

“Richmond do it 22 weeks a year, but the sides that play Richmond only do it twice for the entire season.

“It reminds me of ‘Pagan's Paddock’, when Dennis Pagan was using that tactic weekly while everyone else was trying to conjure up something to work against it.”

Richmond’s round 15 opponents St Kilda face this structural issue, as the Tigers' lack of a second tall forward potentially leaves Nathan Brown or Jake Carlisle without a suitable match-up.

“If Brown plays, he has to play on Jack Riewoldt as Carlisle has more flexibility...he can go forward and zone off and be that intercept marker,” said Wallace.

“Brown does a good solid job, but I don’t think he has those tricks in his armoury.

“If you go further down the line all of a sudden Dylan Roberton will be playing on someone like Shane Edwards. It does have that trickle-down effect.”

The two clubs clash this Saturday night at Etihad Stadium in what is the third match dedicated to Nick Riewoldt’s late sister Maddie.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/07/tigers-structure-has-flag-winning-pedigree-wallace/

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers structure has flag-winning pedigree: Wallace (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
Enough already with these articles.

The train is full.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Enough already with these articles.

The train is full.f
Is it about to derail.

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 12:10:58 AM »
Ah well, it's our turn his week, dees, bombres and port have gone through it the past few weeks. Let's see how we handle it

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »
And the one tall forward set up goes to crap when the mids bomb it forward blindly and you see the tall defender just swoop in for a mark.

I get worried that we are overly romanticism the flea amigos thing as the Adelaide match showed how ineffective it can potentially be. But we have no legit 2nd kpf so I guess we gotta roll with it

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 08:19:26 AM »
I was a massive TW hater when he coached us but I must admit I really like listening to him on SEN. I think he is one of the only footballer commentators that calls a spade a spade. The rest dance around trying not to hurt people's/players feelings and everyone is a star.

His opinions on clubs list is usually spot on imo.

I think like most coaches and people inside AFL clubs they can sometimes be to close to actually see what is right in front of their noses.
For example, if I spoke to 100 Richmond supporters, I reckon 99 would say Taylor Hunt isn't AFL standard and should be playing VFL until seasons end and then delisted never to be spoken about again. And yet he comes in today in front of exciting kids on our list.

And if you asked the same 100 people if they thought Houli and BEllis are as soft as poo, 99 would say yes.
It amazes me that a group of AFL professional coaches allow some players to get away with what most can see.

I have no doubt if Houli didn't play another game for this club, we would be a better side for it. Same goes for Grigg and BEllis. They all go missing in big games when we have something to play for. It's no coincidence that we won last week, interstate, when forth spot was on the line without Houli in the side.

Dimma has stumbled upon this exciting, quick, pressure driven game style but yet he still decides to bring in Hunt!! A player that has proven on many occasions not to be up to AFL level.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
I wonder what terry thinks just days on
He talks structure,  but this club has none and no depth coming thru as well.
He over looked the fact that when win we win, we win just,he  took into account too much, when we lost we generally lost by not much. He is not looking at what Unfortunately makes for a SUCCESSFUL  TEAM,  he once again overlooked what makes a good team who can survive under severe pressure.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
Terry is too analytical and has tied himself up in knots. To the point he doesn't know anymore a primary pattern to build a good team. He seems confused to me these days over critiquing , finding errors but not seeing strengths to build on.

That was his weakness as a coach. He confused  players with no one way to play but many tactics.  I see it in his comments today on the radio. Gloryifying dimma finding a different structure when he has no kpps who can play. But all good teams play with missing pieces ala Gee longs great teams played without a full forward for a premiership until tomahawk grew up. The dogs swapped out many players due to injury last year. 

What they both had was a particular style of play  that won games under pressure.  Tactics are secondary, you need a style of play. Every great team has one.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
In short form Terry is too tactical and not strategic.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »
And peeps fell for it

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 11:39:54 PM »
And the one tall forward set up goes to crap when the mids bomb it forward blindly and you see the tall defender just swoop in for a mark.

I get worried that we are overly romanticism the flea amigos thing as the Adelaide match showed how ineffective it can potentially be. But we have no legit 2nd kpf so I guess we gotta roll with it

Calton used it quite effectively with Betts, Walker  and Garlett.  It's not the structure really it's the players ability to win contests under pressure.
Footy doesn't breed character it weeds out those without it.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »
Simple, we aren't a finals team.
The club that keeps giving.