Author Topic: Bird flu and Tigers  (Read 4018 times)

Moi

Bird flu and Tigers
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:32:52 PM »
Came across this - as if tigers didn't have enough to worry about with their survival  :(

Some BBC Q and A about bird flu

I'd like to know whether the bird flu can spread to egg: dogs - my Labrador is constantly picking up dead birds and eating them. I would like to understand (a) the risks of her catching bird flu, and (b) the chances of her then passing it on to us. Is this something the BBC could investigate and report on?

Lindsay Keswick, Bury St Edmunds

Your dog should be quite safe and probably most at risk from indigestion knowing what Labradors are prepared to eat! I don't know of any cases of dogs being infected with bird flu but tigers certainly can be. Of more concern would be your dog picking up an infected duck or swan and bringing it home. But that's a pretty remote risk given that we haven't had a single case in the UK to date.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4736888.stm

And was looking at some other articles saying tigers have been getting it after eating infected birds. 

Oh dear  :'(

Yep, a slow day at work lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Bird flu and Tigers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »

lol @ researching  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Bird flu and Tigers
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »

lol @ researching  ;).
I have a macabre thing about the bird flu - always looking at stories on it.  It's like i'll be disappointed if nothing happens lol  :shh