Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt set to defy medical advice and play this week (H-Sun)  (Read 541 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt eye injury

August 2, 2017 4:36pm
Tom Morris@tommorris32
FOX SPORTS

RICHMOND spearhead Jack Riewoldt is set to defy medical advice to play against Hawthorn this Sunday.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the ophthalmologist that operated on Riewoldt’s right eye has expressed caution against him returning to play just 10 days after the freak training incident occurred. This is due to the possibility of hyphema, a virus that causes a collection of blood to build inside the front chamber of the eye.

But Riewoldt, who wants to return to face the Hawks, is almost certain to be named in Richmond’s extended squad on Thursday night irrespective of the advice.

In addition to the surgeon’s instruction, the 28-year-old will also seek medical counsel from the club’s eye doctor, who he is due to see on Thursday.

The Tigers are yet to make a final call on him and may not do so until Saturday, but it is believed he is far more likely to play than less likely.

It would not be the first time a player has defied medical guidance, but this is a unique case and one that could have long-term ramifications if mishandled.

Riewoldt could not see out of his right eye for six hours last Thursday, with what he described as “a cloudy film of blood” blocking his vision.

Teammate Mabior Chol accidentally poked him in the last training drill of the session, forcing Riewoldt out of the Tigers Round 19 win over Gold Coast.

The pressure in his eye was three times what it was supposed to be, with the white part of his eye torn and his cornea grazed, requiring multiple stitches and confining him to the couch for most of the weekend.

Riewoldt has spent the week on light duties but has told teammates he is committed to returning this Sunday against Hawthorn, while coach Damien Hardwick also said he expects the two-time Coleman medallist to play.

Round 19 was the first game he missed since late 2013, a run of 86 consecutive matches.

On Tuesday evening Riewoldt detailed the side effects of his freak injury on AFL 360.

“I can’t run around for five days post healing in case the clot starts to bleed again,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“Gravity pulls the blood back down to my eye and gets rid of itself naturally.

“When I go for a run it’s like a snow dome: if you shake it up and all of the snowflakes come up into the dome, that’s sort of like my eye.”

In May, young Tiger Jacob Townsend suffered a similar injury to Riewoldt while playing VFL. He returned to the field 14 days later and has played every match since.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/one-eyed-tiger-richmond-star-jack-riewoldt-firming-to-play-despite-medical-advice/news-story/33795f45a9aa3a817779426f71536ad1