Author Topic: Mark Robinson's Top 50 / 5 Tigers - Dusty, Rance, Cotch, Jack & Lambert  (Read 1058 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Here's Robbo's Top 50 post-2017 season:

1. Dustin Martin

(up from 20 in preseason top 50)
RICHMOND
MIDFIELDER
SuperCoach (AVERAGE POINTS): 119
EVERY so often a player delivers a season that blows your mind. This was Dusty’s season. He was ranked second in the competition for score involvements, third for score assists and first for “don’t argues”, his signature move. A power-packed performer.

2. Patrick Dangerfield

3. Alex Rance

(up from 5 in preseason top 50)
RICHMOND
DEFENDER
SuperCoach 90
STEPHEN Silvagni didn’t say that Rance was the best defender he had seen, but maybe he wanted to. OK, maybe Bruce Doull then Rance. Plays one-on-one, plays roll-off, plays inspirational footy. Ranked second for intercept possessions and intercept marks.

4. Lance Franklin
5. Josh Kelly
6. Josh Kennedy (Swans)
7. Rory Sloane
8. Tom Mitchell
9. Josh Kennedy (Eagles)
10. Gary Ablett Jnr
11. Dayne Zorko
12. Scott Pendlebury
13. Marcus Bontempelli
14. Joe Daniher
15. Joel Selwood
16. Jeremy McGovern

17. Trent Cotchin
(up from 38 in preseason top 50)
RICHMOND
MIDFIELDER
SuperCoach 101
BECAME a leader of men this season and his finals were something else. Surprised he wasn’t higher than fourth in Richmond’s B & F, but he wouldn’t care. Above average for contested possessions, metres gained and goals a game.

18. Nathan Fyfe
19. Dylan Shiel
20. Sam Jacobs
21. Eddie Betts
22. Toby Greene
23. Robbie Gray
24. Matt Crouch

25. Jack Riewoldt

(up from 48 in preseason top 50)
RICHMOND
FORWARD
SuperCoach 83
HIS highlight was singing Mr Brightside with The Killers. His second was being the sole key forward for the premiers. Ton of heart and team-oriented effort often against several opponents. Still ranked second for marks inside 50 and rated above-average for forward-half pressure.

26. Zach Merrett
27. Clayton Oliver
28. Mitch Duncan
29. Elliot Yeo
30. Paddy Ryder
31. Dayne Beams
32. Ollie Wines
33. Michael Hurley
34. Rory Laird
35. Jake Lever
36. Adam Treloar
37. Tom Lynch (Crows)
38. Jeremy Howe
39. Ben Brown
40. Callan Ward
41. Sam Docherty
42. Nathan Jones
43. Shaun Higgins
44. Taylor Walker
45. Charlie Dixon
46. Luke Parker
47. Matt Kreuzer
48. Ben Cunnington
49. Seb Ross

50. Kane Lambert
RICHMOND
MID/FORWARD
SuperCoach 86
BARELY knew of him at Round 12 but by 6pm on Grand Final night he was a Richmond hero. Ranked second among midfielders/forwards for score assists, third for pressure points and, most importantly, third in the B & F. That’s third in a premiership team and that’s why he’s No. 50.

-----------------------------------------------------

RICHMOND has two players in the top three, three in the top 20 and four in the top 25, but it will be the fifth Tiger who will raise the most eyebrows.

At No. 50 is Kane Lambert.

It is the most difficult selection in the Top 50 because up to 40 players make genuine claims for that final position.

Lambert, the 25-year-old mature-age, rookie-list recruit, who was elevated to the senior list in 2016, is the Top 50’s quietest achiever.

The run-with on-baller who wins his own footy, however, is well recognised at Tigerland.

He finished third in the Jack Dyer Medal behind Dustin Martin and Alex Rance which means he finished higher than captain Trent Cotchin (fourth), Shaun Grigg (sixth) and Jack Riewoldt (seventh).

Always, there are wonderful stories about the premiership players.

Lambert’s is special.

Every so often a player delivers a season that blows your mind. This was Dusty’s season.

Former Tigers assistant coach Mark Williams told Trade Radio this month how Lambert helped find the confidence to play at senior level after many rollicking performances in the VFL through 2015 and 2016.

“I told Kane Lambert he was meek and mild in the seniors but like (Gary) Ablett in the Twos,” Williams said.

“We sign off our messages now with ‘I am Ablett’.”

It is a ripping revelation.

In 2017, Lambert was ranked second among mid-forwards for score assists and third for pressure points.

Riewoldt earns the No. 25 ranking because of his performance as the sole key forward in the Tigers’ team.

Often double-teamed, Riewoldt competed relentlessly in air and finished the season ranked No. 2 for marks inside-50, as well as kicking 54.37 which earned him sixth spot on the AFL goalkicking table.

The captain is No. 17, his lofty position coming after two stellar finals and a solid Grand Final.

Dustin Martin is this year’s No. 1 and Patrick Dangerfield is No. 2 — and it is a flip of the coin with those two matchwinners — and again, Martin’s final series, and the Norm Smith and Brownlow medals tipped it in his favour.

Martin’s season will be hailed as one of the best ever from a midfielder. The greatest of all time, Leigh Matthews, said as much, although Matthews was unable to rank himself.

Martin had 744 disposals and kicked 37.29 from his 25 games this year. In 1977, Matthews had 658 disposals and kicked 91.57 in 24 games.

The eras are incomparable, but those two players share several qualities: power, brilliance and an extraordinary ability to evade the opposition’s tacklers, more so Martin in today’s high-octane pressure game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/robbos-top-50-mark-robinson-names-his-top-50-afl-players-for-season-2017/news-story/8af3dbd1531ab239d7c97d9522af5664#chapter2

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mark Robinson's Top 50 / 5 Tigers - Dusty, Rance, Cotch, Jack & Lambert
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »
Cotch at 17 what's this clown goose .Big Toby should be in there to.I'm I reading right Ablett at 10 lucky to play 5 games.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
If Kreuzer is at 47, then no way Nank should be there

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
Cotch is the one that gets me...and Gabblet is a shadow of his old self.  Cotch was magnificent this year, a combination of silk and cudgel :shh
The satin maul...I can't use the velvet hammer  :lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
Nathan 'Crab' Jones in the top 50 players of the year  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
 :huh

sloane at 7 - had an appalling run of form from round 8 til very late in the year when he was easily tagged out of games.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Cotch mugged both Selwood and Dangerfield lol
Lots of people name their swords......