Author Topic: Caddy's overturned goal on review: What's your decision?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Caddy's overturned goal on review: What's your decision?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
So the flags now count as part of the post even though they are behind it and the goal-line?  :huh

Sorry that's a goal for mine. Which part of the ball is still across the line to overrule the goalumpire's view of it being a goal? I can't see it.
Always been the case or as far as i know it has been.  clearly a behind both padding and flags are part of the post.
Clearly? I was there in line with it and it looked like a goal.
The cameras have wide angle lenses which have by nature barrel distortion. They also make things that are closer look bigger. Thus the ball is bigger than it really is and covers more of the background in the TV shot.

Too close to call. Should have been the umpires call and like me they thought it was a goal.

The whole point of the review was to get blatant errors out of the game. The Geelong GF when Hawkins clearly kicked a point hitting the post is why it was brought in. It wasn't supposed to overrule decisions involving millimetres.
Yet the angle/camera  they do have shows it was touched they can only go by the camera. In this case they got it right,

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
The technology is not good enough. The umpire was right. Should have been the umpires call. It's been like that for 150 years. Only clear cut mistakes should be overturned.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
The technology is not good enough. The umpire was right. Should have been the umpires call. It's been like that for 150 years. Only clear cut mistakes should be overturned.
I like the idea of getting this aspect of the game right.The goal ump was wrong according to the technology we do have.

We use what technology that we do have some like it some dont but its there and we use it and go by it.
This is not about weather we should use the technology we use it get used to it. With all the information  available they came up with the right decision,According to the technology we use the ball was clearly touching the flag hence a behind was given.
RThe review took so long because they had to look at weather the ball was touched off the boot which was clearly stated by an ump.

As i said right decion in the end and storm in a teacup over the time it took.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
I like the idea of getting this aspect of the game right.The goal ump was wrong according to the technology we do have.

We use what technology that we do have some like it some dont but its there and we use it and go by it.
This is not about weather we should use the technology we use it get used to it. With all the information  available they came up with the right decision,According to the technology we use the ball was clearly touching the flag hence a behind was given.
RThe review took so long because they had to look at weather the ball was touched off the boot which was clearly stated by an ump.

The problem is that the field umpires make mistakes all the time. Many of them cost goals. Why doesn't the video umpire correct those decisions? Why only goal decisions?

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 08:01:11 PM »
The vision is not definitive in that the ball was touched. It's purely speculation it was touched given the angle of the blurred vision. Enough said!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »

The problem is that the field umpires make mistakes all the time. Many of them cost goals. Why doesn't the video umpire correct those decisions? Why only goal decisions?

Common sense i suppose.We have a lull in play when theres a score. Its not practical  to stop the game every 5 seconds.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »
But if it's a blatant mistake and a free kick is given for a shot at goal, there is a lull in play

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
But if it's a blatant mistake and a free kick is given for a shot at goal, there is a lull in play
You have a point but where do you stop.Maybe the answer is to find a way to do away with umps altogether !!!!.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
goal
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »
The vision is not definitive in that the ball was touched. It's purely speculation it was touched given the angle of the blurred vision. Enough said!
Looks pretty definate to me.

FooffooValve

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
Why doesn't the white line on the ground match the actual back of the flags? It seems silly to me that there appear to be two lines - the one on the ground, and then the actual one at the back of the flags.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »
You have a point but where do you stop.Maybe the answer is to find a way to do away with umps altogether !!!!.

I say we do away with umpires altogether then get a panel of impartial experts to watch a replay with the benefit of  replays and the rule book in front of them, picking out what decisions should have been made and devise a retrospective result from that.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 12:00:33 AM »

I say we do away with umpires altogether then get a panel of impartial experts to watch a replay with the benefit of  replays and the rule book in front of them, picking out what decisions should have been made and devise a retrospective result from that.... :shh
Melbourne wins the flag if this happens  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"