Author Topic: Richmond's non-existent forwards (ESPN)  (Read 677 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's non-existent forwards (ESPN)
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:27:28 AM »
Richmond's non-existent forwards:

ESPN
11 June 2019

Two years ago we labelled the Tigers' forward line the best and most dynamic in the competition. On Friday night it was simply deplorable as Geelong's back six smothered them into oblivion, handing Richmond a 67-point loss in the process.

Sure, spearhead Jack Riewoldt was absent, but in his place was the more-than-capable Tom Lynch who was playing alongside a bunch of crafty and talented smalls.

However, after four quarters, all the Tigers could manage was a measly five goals -- their lowest haul since Round 19, 2016 -- and that was with gaining an advantage in inside 50s.

The forward contingent of Lynch, Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna, Josh Caddy, Jack Higgins and Jacob Townsend combined for a grand total of two goals. It was very nearly just one with Castagna's goal coming in the final minute of the game.

The only Tiger forward who could have walked away from the Melbourne Cricket Ground with his head held high (relatively) was Dan Butler. Not only did he kick one of the team's five goals but he also laid a game-high 11 tackles.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/26899736/afl-heroes-villains-round-12-inspirational-skippers-afl-score-review-again

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond's non-existent forwards (ESPN)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:44:52 PM »
Since when has Castagna, Butler, Higgins, Bolton, Rioli, Caddy and Townsend been prolific goal kickers. They all go basically at a paltry one goal a game for the duration.

Caddy had a good yr last yr but is back to normal. Townsend had what a five game run at the end of 2017 consistent goal kickers none of them and it has been widely commented on by many.

We have been happy with their collective glass half full games and if honest that is what they have mainly bought to the table one half of what is required

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond's non-existent forwards (ESPN)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
Is our forward line perfect? Of course not. But I think the gameplan was largely built on Riewoldt and we’re missing him badly.

I think about did riolis injury from the 2017 GF do more damage then we’ve been led to believe. I agree butler and castagna aren’t exactly elite small forwards. Actually I think castagna is a bit of a liability. But potting Higgins and Bolton I don’t think is fair. Higgins was great last year.and is clearly going through 2nd year blues with adjusting to more midfield time. Bolton has only strung games together this year and will get better with each game