Author Topic: ARC: AFL's new score review hub  (Read 1733 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
ARC: AFL's new score review hub
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »

UPGRADED cameras and the addition of 'Extreme Super Slow Motion' cameras at every ground will be a feature of the new AFL Review Centre (ARC) that will be trialled this September.

There will be a minimum of three 'Super Slow Motion' cameras, including a minimum of one 'Extreme Super Slow Motion' camera, at every stadium set to host a finals match over the next month.

It will enable score reviews the most clear and precise means of correcting or confirming contentious on-field decisions throughout the finals period.

The advanced cameras are part of a multi-faceted ARC process set to be used this September, which will also involve club doctors, the umpiring department and Match Review members to trial potential enhancements for football operations.

The other significant difference from the current score review process, used throughout the home and away season, will be a direct line of communication from the ARC through to both the broadcaster and the stadium explaining the rationale behind each decision.

Previously, fans had only heard score reviewers confirm their decisions via the broadcaster or seen the decision displayed on the scoreboard at stadiums.

The ARC will feature 10 people at a time, including two supervisors, working across three different pods throughout the finals series.

The score review pod will feature two members, the 'Hawkeye' operator and the official score reviewer, who will communicate their decision to the main supervisor.

The Match Review and medical pod will feature three people, including an operator and Match Review Officer Michael Christian. He will investigate incidents as they happen in order to speed up the Match Review process.

That particular pod will also involve a doctor, who will be in charge of spotting potential concussive symptoms from players and will have a direct line of communication to the benches of both teams.

The final pod will feature an operator and two members of the umpiring department, who will be in charge of coding, tagging and reviewing decisions for future training. That particular pod will have no impact on the games in which they are reviewing.

The ARC has already enjoyed a successful trial throughout select games in round 23.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-03/meet-arc-afls-new-review-hub-gets-extreme-makeover-for-finals

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: ARC: AFL's new score review hub
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
Will be FARC'd.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:38:27 AM »
Apart from the fancy new panel of tv screens I didn't notice any difference in the procedure or better camera angles last night when they reviewed a decision  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL open to player’s call goal reviews: Gill McLachlan (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »
AFL open to player’s call goal reviews

Liam Twomey, Gilbert Gardiner
Herald-Sun
25 September 2019[/i]

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan wants players to take responsibility towards the accuracy of game-day goal reviews.

A cricket-style captain’s call is high on the league’s off-season agenda amid continued “human error” blunders.

The AFL would, however, look to cap the number of reviews in an aggressive bid to make the “right decisions”.

“Putting some responsibility on the players involved, declaring they touched it or they didn’t, I think would help to then look at it with more time and more dispassionately rather than reviewing every decision,” McLachlan said.

“I don’t know whether we’ll get there or not but it’s certainly something that’s been discussed internally as a way to actually help in a process way to make sure we make the right decisions all the time.”

In cricket, each team has two unsuccessful referrals to dispute a decision, while tennis players get three Hawk-Eye challenges in each set at grand slam level.

McLachlan acknowledged AFL Review Centre (ARC) officials erred under “pressure” when looking at Josh Thomas’s goal during the last quarter of Collingwood’s preliminary final loss.

Officials were not convinced “beyond reasonable doubt”, contrary to replays of the incident, the ball was touched off the boot.

“Whenever there are people involved I accept, under pressure, people make mistakes,” McLachlan said.

“We’re accountable for it and it was a mistake, I understand it, albeit I’m disappointed.”

While not aware of how much had been spent on ARC, league chief McLachlan boldly pledged an “endless bin” of money to help officials make the right decisions.

“I don’t know (how much spent already), plenty certainly,” McLachlan said.

“It’s an endless bin, there was four cameras there on the day with super slow-mo and none of them caught it.

“So does every camera have the facility? There’s more money to be spent if that’s the way we go.

“The system itself is working, it’s the best technology, the process is better, we’ve got the best reviewers, as I said, under pressure with people there is a possibility for human error.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-wednesday-september-25-2019/live-coverage/c5578b04a0becb7b9af9713c5e1bc55c

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »
NO! This is just blame shifting.

If there's one thing you would do to improve the DRS in cricket would be to take the reviews off the players.

How often do we see players desperate to review and burning them, only to have a legitimate howler unable to be reviewed a few overs later.

The bare bones of the system are fine, it was just a shyte decision not to overturn that touched kick on Saturday. So get better at that.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
I just wish that the focus was on the players & their skills & not on the umpires & their decisions ...   
I'm sick of the odds & the payouts & the entitled outrages it generates, I just want to watch the football!     :scream
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
Heard North are now targeting Tim Paine... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.