Author Topic: Would a fireside chat help Dusty turn Bachar into Norm? (Age)  (Read 658 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Would a fireside chat help Dusty turn Bachar into Norm?

Peter Ryan
The Age
20 May 2020

The only person who has stood between Tigers defender Bachar Houli and two Norm Smith Medals has been Richmond great Dustin Martin.

The 31-year-old was voted runner-up in the medal behind Martin in both 2017 and 2019, just three votes in arrears in 2017 and nine votes shy last season.

The two have contrasting public persona but their respect for each other is huge as premiership teammates.

"I am so glad he has won two," Houli said.

Houli laughed when Snap Shot asked him if he had broached the subject with Martin as to how he might have denied him a couple of Norms.

"I'm too scared to bring it up. He sometimes can be a blunt individual but I get along with Dusty really well. I have taken him camping and I will continue to take him camping," Houli said.

"Maybe over a nice camp fire I will bring it up just for a laugh and I will say 'Mate, seriously, you have won two, any chance of handing one out to me brother?'"

Good luck with that, Bachar, although with a Brownlow, two best and fairests, two Norm Smith Medals, All-Australians and an MVP, perhaps one Norm wouldn't be missed. Perhaps.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/would-a-fireside-chat-help-dusty-turn-bachar-into-norm-20200519-p54u9m.html