Author Topic: Great news from Beaconsfield  (Read 4673 times)

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Great news from Beaconsfield
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »

Moi

Re: Great news from Beaconsfield
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:56:01 PM »
Haven't actually found them, but they are believed to be alive.
Amazing!

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »
Yeah they have been located.

Apparently they got some camera through to where they are and seen that they appear to be fine and well.

All miners have been called in and they expect to get them out tomorrow.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »
Terrific news.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
Amazing stuff

Miracle without a doubt

:cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline General Disregard

• Future Richmond star
  • Forward !!! he cried from the rear
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »
Still a couple of days before they can get them out  :pray
:pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Please please please

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 10:48:44 PM »
Ch 10 news says the rescue team has broken through into the cavity were the trapped miners are. Hoping they'll be out by tomorrow  :clapping.

Moi

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:01:40 AM »
Great sight watching them walk out as if they'd never been away.
Amazing men

Moi

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:28:48 AM »
 Town rejoices over mine rescue

09may06

CROWDS of people are flooding to the Beaconsfield mine in Tasmania after waking to the news that trapped miners Brant Webb and Todd Russell have finally been freed.

A fire engine is sounding its siren through the streets of the town, alerting townspeople to the rescue, while Uniting Church Minister Frances Seen has rung a church bell not used used since the end of World War II.

The bell had been in storage but was specially mounted on a timber frame to ring out news of the successful rescue.

West Tamar Mayor Barry Easther said the rescue was a triumph for the community.

"It will be a great day for everybody but the rescuers, they have done a magnificent job working under just extreme conditions," Mr Easther told Channel 9.

But all in Beaconsfield spared a thought for the family of miner Larry Knight, 44, who was killed in the rock collapse two weeks ago that trapped Mr Webb and Mr Russell.

"They are a very courageous family and what a lovely gift to everybody involved in this rescue that they have made in putting off Larry's funeral until today. It's just an incredible thing to do."

Mr Knight's funeral will be held in Launceston this afternoon.

Tasmanian Minerals Council executive director Terry Long said people around the world would be celebrating with the people of Beaconsfield.

"I think everyone in the world has been with Todd and Brant in these past couple of weeks and the sense of elation you have that this has been successfully concluded here this morning is quite indescribable," he said.

The families of the rescued miners were with them now, Mr Long said.

"The miners have invited their family underground in anticipation.

"I don't know how many members of the family but certainly their fathers were invited underground and maybe more.

"Family is so important that just contact with their family would be their overriding concern."

Mr Easther told Channel 7 it would be an emotional day for the families and the wider community.

"It's a really emotional time and a time of mixed emotions for us in this community today because we've got Larry's funeral today, later today.

"It's a sad day and yet it is such an exciting time to have these two lads brought back to the surface, it's just a dream come true."

Ms Seen said she was "very emotional" at news of the rescue.

"The tears are there. I don't want to shed them yet but they are just trickling out a little bit," she told Channel 9.

"I think the same thing has happened to our mayor over here.

"We've waited and waited. It's special.

"This community has had the emotions of a lifetime in a fortnight flow through their systems.

"The news is what we have been waiting for."

Ms Seen spared a thought for the family of Mr Knight.

"They're in our hearts today. We're celebrating now but we know in a short time, throughout the morning, we'll be moving to be with the family.

"You're lifted from one area to the next area,wanting the world to know the good news here and wanting to be in a thousand places at once with a thousand different people."

Beaconsfield resident Sylvia said she has been up since 3am (AEST) watching the latter stages of the rescue before arriving at the mine about 5.30am.

"It's fantastic. It's absolutely wonderful. I'm actually emotional," she told Nine.

"It just means everything. Two lives have been saved and they will be back home with their families. It's wonderful."

Fellow resident Laurette came with her children, who were wrapped in doonas and beanies and were still in their pyjamas.

"We got all the kids up, dragged them up about 20 past four this morning."

"We had a phone call about four o'clock to say they are coming up so we all threw on clothes and got in the car and came up.

"I think they should block off the streets and throw the town open."

Tasmanian deputy Premier Bryan Green said the rescued miners had a long road ahead.

"Physically they're obviously very fit and they remain so, it seems, but they have got a lot to work through in respect of this," Mr Green told Nine.

"I don't think they could ever imagine, when they came to the surface, just what they are going to see. It's quite incredible.

"They've got to work through a lot of emotions obviously, and of course today, with Larry's funeral, there are going to be big emotions for them."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19074772%255E1702,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
Finally  :clapping :clapping

:woohoo :woohoo :congrats :congrats :woohoo

Fantastic to see those blokes walk out
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »
Wonderful news.  Actually I didn't know that they were free until I read it here on OER.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 10:07:03 AM »
Fantastic news  :clapping. Unbelievable they were able to just walk out after all they went through.

Moi

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:11:02 AM »
Wonderful news.  Actually I didn't know that they were free until I read it here on OER.
You heard it here first, Julz  :thumbsup
I don't read newspapers any more in the morning - just get up and turn on the puter and everything you need or want to know is here.