Author Topic: "Most exciting Richmond side in many years"  (Read 1021 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
"Most exciting Richmond side in many years"
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:51:36 PM »
Just read Royal's latest article in the EOTT section where he talks about how the style we've been playing the last 5 weeks is getting close to the way Wallace wants it but we still need to improve our finishing skills by recruiting players with better foot skills and improving those of the players we have now. Anyway I saw this quote by Paul Couch who was down last week for a T@FE talk: "Most exciting Richmond side in many years".

How would you guys compare the team now to those of say 95 and 2001 in terms of excitment?

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: "Most exciting Richmond side in many years"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »
1995 was exciting because we won more than we lost.  But we still lost badly to most good teams.  There are a few games you’d watch again and was definitely more exciting than 2001.  Every Richmond supporter must’ve worn out the tape of the Richmond vs Essendon final of that year.  Especially the 3rd quarter comeback.  Even though we made finals and won one of them, there were still doubts about the team’s ability to perform in big games.  Which were founded.

2001.  Have to be reminded that we played finals that year and won a final against Carlton.  It’s not a game you’d go back and watch in a hurry.  Which sums up most of that season.  Maybe R17 against the Bulldogs because of what the game meant.  But even that’s lost much of its zing now.

I prefer the excitement of where the team is at now.  At the same time, even though our attacking style of play can be exciting, it can also be frustrating because of the likelihood of turnovers.  Using the boundary as an avenue to goal doesn’t fill me with any confidence at times and sideways movement of the ball and holding on to the ball longer than necessary doesn’t inspire me much either.

But it’s still better than 1995 and definitely better than 2001, which wouldn’t be too hard, because at least you can see we’re working towards something and that the players are motivated and have some direction.  From that perspective, 2006 wins easily.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 05:08:50 PM »
If we could merge the ferociousness of 95 team with the modern gameplan we have now it would be a huge step forward. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:20 PM »
1995 season.  the draw vs essendon at the G.  We had players out, and it was guts and determination that kept us in the game.

Worth watching again for the intensity.

We look exciting in patches at the moment, but we cannot put sides away.  That is always exciting for me.  If its a close game, and someone steps up to break the game apart.  I think we have recruited those types of game breakers, but would like to see the guys really have a red hot dip this week.