Author Topic: Marc Murphy  (Read 1846 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Marc Murphy
« on: December 14, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
Interesting article on the AFL website re Marc Murphy which mentions that RFC tried to recruit him in 2015. 
Would have been a good get.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:01:46 PM by pmac21 »

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Marc Murphy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
Decent player but not a great bloke IMO.

Went to school with him.

Top shelf wanker.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 08:43:16 PM »
Yeah I listed to the dyl and friends podcast episode. It was around 2015/2016. On the interview he said he went for some medicals and during that time he was back and forth about leaving carlton. Us taking Yarran cemented him staying at carlton.

As funny as I think it is that he’s laying it on thick on how poo Malthouse was for carlton, it was also super rich of him to suggest carlton could have won the 2011 GF because they were one kick out of making it to the prelim against geelong

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:43:07 PM »
Marc Murphy is your classic 300 gamer for a middle of the road pedestrian team. Talks up getting traded as a hint he could’ve been a premiership player.
I don’t think so.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:58:25 PM »
Interesting , my son went to school with him and he was always good to him, quietly spoken  and respectful, who always came over to say hello
You can only call it as you see it,

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 03:20:15 AM »
Interesting , my son went to school with him and he was always good to him, quietly spoken  and respectful, who always came over to say hello
Agree
I’ve only heard good and a great clubman for Carlton

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »

I might have known your son then?

Was very full of himself due to the family name/history.

Maybe top shelf is a stretch, but bit of a wanker for sure. Don't get me wrong there were many who were worse, not saying he was a bully or outright mean etc.

I should take back some of my earlier comment because people obviously grow up after school, so I was being unreasonable there.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
Dodged a bullet turnovers and a squib hates the hard stuff.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »

I might have known your son then?

Was very full of himself due to the family name/history.

Maybe top shelf is a stretch, but bit of a wanker for sure. Don't get me wrong there were many who were worse, not saying he was a bully or outright mean etc.

I should take back some of my earlier comment because people obviously grow up after school, so I was being unreasonable there.

People do grow up for sure. We have a certain champion at our club that was your absolute 100% stereotypical bully/hole at school. Worst reputation possible. And yet he’s the opposite of that these days.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
Murphy confirms at the end of 2015 we were the closest he came to leaving Carlton although he adds it never sat well with him the thought of leaving.

After we struggled in 2016 he felt it was a good move to stay at Carlton but then we won the flag the following year [he laughs].

10:45 min mark: https://www.afl.com.au/podcasts/afl-daily