Author Topic: AFLW R2: Richmond vs Adelaide @ Punt Rd, Sat. Sept. 3  (Read 3833 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFLW R2: Richmond vs Adelaide @ Punt Rd, Sat. Sept. 3
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2022, 04:39:36 PM »
AFLW Tigers overrun by Crows

By Sarah Black
AFL Media
3 September 2022

RICHMOND  2.2   3.2   4.3   4.3 (27)
ADELAIDE    2.0   3.0   3.1   5.6 (36)

GOALS Richmond: Wakefield 2, Yassir, Shevlin Adelaide: Ballard 2, Woodland, Prowse, Martin

BEST Richmond: Conti, Egan, Lavey, McKenzie, S.Hosking Adelaide: Hatchard, Biddell, Marinoff, Randall, Ballard

INJURIES Richmond: Nil Adelaide: Nil

Reports: Nil

-----------------------------------------------------------

Richmond AFLW were overrun by a fast-finishing Adelaide by nine points on Saturday at the Swinburne Centre.

The 5.6 (36) to 4.3 (27) loss consigns Richmond to a 0-2 start, having absolutely dominated nearly every facet of the game for the first three quarters in a heartbreaking loss.

Skipper Chelsea Randall played three quarters in the middle before being moved to half-forward, and the rejigged and more mature Crows outfit subsequently unsettled the Tigers, wresting control after the ball had lived in the home team's half.

Courtney Wakefield kicked two behinds early but the Tigers spearhead found the middle soon enough, booting two.

Richmond absolutely dominated territory in the first half, recording 24-6 inside 50s, with Adelaide backs Sarah Allan, Chelsea Biddell, Marijana Rajcic and Brooke Tonon defending grimly to hold the Tigers to only a two-point lead at the main break.

The third term was a torrid struggle, and it looked as if Adelaide was going to make Richmond pay for its inability to convert its dominance to scoreboard pressure, until defender Maddie Shevlin streamed forward to slot a running goal from 45m.

The small forwards from both sides enjoyed the work of the talls, with Emelia Yassir and Rachelle Martin snapping truly in the first half.

Monique Conti (26 disposals, five clearances) thrived going head-to-head with the likes of Anne Hatchard (26 and six) and Ebony Marinoff (22 and 11 tackles) in a star-studded midfield battle.

A tale of two teams

The match was a contrast in styles, with Richmond eager to lock the ball in its attacking half and aiming to get the ball forward at all costs with run, carry and pure chaos. By contrast, Adelaide wanted to control play with a kick-mark uncontested method. At one point in the third term, Richmond had 23 tackles inside 50 to zero, but poor disposal in its attacking zone and outstanding defence kept the Crows in the game.

Up next

Richmond will host Hawthorn at the Swinburne Centre on Sunday.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1213641/aflw-tigers-overrun-by-crows

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »
Hear from Ferguson after today's loss to the Crows:

Watch here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1213705/aflw-r2-ferguson-post-match

"We took it up to the reigning premier and showed what we're capable of, but they showed us how you can play big moments well and take your opportunities."

Doesn't sound like Katie Brennan will be back anytime soon either  :-\.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2022, 06:24:52 PM »
Why we continue to try and defend a 1 goal lead with 10 mins to go does my head in

Just like the men found a way to lose.

Club is 3 from 3 this week in unforgivable losses

Who coaches this rabble. Just turned it on. 

Ryan Ferguson,  former  mens AFL development coach. Got the gig when afl soft cap was slashed. Was a way of keeping him at the club

The girls need investment into the program. Skills coaches are essential.
A real vflw program were the youngsters can learn properly in a professional environment and not getting thrashed mercilessly each week in Port Melbourne.  :banghead

With all the rhetoric I really don’t think we as a club are taking the Woman’s league seriously enough and that’s to the detriment of every girl that puts their heart and souls into the team to play in our jumper.

It’s a disgrace and the girls should be getting better by being treated seriously.

I've deliberately removed your comments about "fatties". Don't think body shaming is necessary. Seriously hope you and a few others don't have daughters. Don't think you realise the damage comments like that can do

On your actually point about bigger bodies, I actually agree. There is a place and a need .

But on our women's program and your point there. Totally agree 100%

The damage being done in the development of our young players is plain to see. The alignment is not working and it is embarrassing

I've asked a few times when will be getting our VFLW team again and keep bring told when the AFLW soft cap increases. I find this staggering.

We are spending the entire cap. On what is what I want to know
Spot on WP. It’s a disgrace. Ask them how kangaroos can afford a vflw program as well as field a competitive AFL team.

PS. On the issue of fatties I was joking around as well as saying they were hard to stop. I reckon in the girls game you need some Plugger types especially up forward.

And yes I have 3 daughters and they can dish it back as well as take it.
And they also think I’m hilarious  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »
Think AFLW is the one "professional" sport where size should barely matter. No use having 22 fit girls that have no ability. 22 big chicks with great skill would probably slice them up
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2022, 07:20:32 PM »
Think AFLW is the one "professional" sport where size should barely matter. No use having 22 fit girls that have no ability. 22 big chicks with great skill would probably slice them up
Great point.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2022, 08:01:36 PM »
Crows fly home against tough Tigers

By Sarah Burt
The Age
September 3, 2022

Adelaide have come from behind to break a much-improved Richmond’s hearts after the Tigers led by eight points at three-quarter-time in a tight battle at the Swinburne Centre on Saturday afternoon.

The first AFLW clash between the sides was a fierce contest, with the Crows eventually winning by nine points, 5.6 (36) to 4.3 (27).

Both sides had lost in round one – the reigning premier Crows were looking to bounce back after they were defeated in a grand-final rematch against Melbourne last week.

Richmond were again without skipper Katie Brennan due to a foot injury, with Sarah Hosking stepping in as captain on her 50th AFLW game, the first Tiger to reach the milestone.

Hosking’s twin sister, Sarah, ran out for her first game of the season alongside Maddy Brancatisano in her 25th game.

Adelaide made three changes this week, with new recruit Amber Ward making her debut after moving across from West Coast, while Brooke Tonon and Zoe Prowse were also named.

In a hot start in the opening term, last season’s leading goalkicker Ash Woodland opened the goalscoring to get the Crows on the board early, followed quickly by Prowse.

Emelia Yassir finished a clean passage of play for the Tigers with their first major, followed by another off the boot of Courtney Wakefield.

Richmond managed repeat entries but only had two to show for it, while Ebony Marinoff starred for the Crows with eight disposals and three tackles in the first term, becoming the first AFLW player in history to record 800 career kicks.

Wakefield got another for the Tigers in the second term, but the Crows responded quickly with a dribble through from Rachelle Martin, leaving the Tigers just two points up.

The Tigers had four times the number of inside 50’s but their inaccuracy in front of goal was continuing from last week. They were dominant on the ground with forward pressure but weren’t getting reward for effort as Adelaide’s defence held strong.

Anne Hatchard became just the second player in AFLW history to record 200 career marks as she dominated for the Crows, having notched 14 disposals, four marks and five tackles by half-time. Richmond remained two points up at the main break.

After a tight re-start, Richmond defender Maddie Shevlin took matters into her own hands and finally broke the dam wall, booting one to put them eight points up. Monique Conti was on track for her best career game, on 21 disposals and nine contested possessions leading into the final term.

Richmond were prolific in tackles inside 50, edging the AFLW record, but had the wind taken out of their sails when life-long Crows supporter Abbie Ballard slotted a goal for Adelaide to put them one point up. They had also shifted skipper Chelsea Randall forward in an attempt to capitalise.

Ballard got another as Richmond ended nine points behind at the final siren.

Randall said afterwards: “Richmond were outstanding … they really brought the pressure, we just had to come out and press the game up a little bit more and be more aggressive in our forward line.

“We were chasing that first win after the loss to Melbourne last week and we did it.”

ADELAIDE 2.0 3.0 3.1 5.6 (36)
RICHMOND 2.2 3.2 4.3 4.3 (27)

GOALS
ADELAIDE: Ballard 2, Woodland, Prowse, Martin
RICHMOND: Wakefield 2, Yassir, Shevlin

BEST
ADELAIDE: Hatchard, Woodland, Marinoff, Biddell, Gould, Randall
RICHMOND: Conti, Egan, McKenzie, Wakefield, Seymour, Kelly, Lavey

INJURIES None

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/crows-fly-home-against-dominant-tigers-to-notch-win-20220903-p5bf4o.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2022, 09:48:03 PM »
Only a win would have offset last weeks debacle

Girls showed they could match it with the best for most of the game, brings some hope to the season

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »
Hear from Ferguson after today's loss to the Crows:

Watch here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1213705/aflw-r2-ferguson-post-match

"We took it up to the reigning premier and showed what we're capable of, but they showed us how you can play big moments well and take your opportunities."

Doesn't sound like Katie Brennan will be back anytime soon either  :-\.

Why the heck has our coach got an Adelaide coloured hat on? :huh3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2022, 05:53:09 AM »
24+ disposals in #AFLW games for RICH
1x:
2x:
3x:
4x:
5x:
6x:
7x:
8x:
9x:
10x:
11x:
12x:
13x: MONIQUE CONTI

@RichmondWomens @aflwomens #AFLWTigersCrows

https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/status/1565903346938294273

Broadsword

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2022, 09:32:24 AM »
Conti is head and shoulders above the rest. Good football is good football, and she is enjoyable to watch.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2022, 10:04:07 AM »

Why the heck has our coach got an Adelaide coloured hat on? :huh3

It is the Club's cap from last year's "Pride Round" and he's been wearing it since it was released.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
Conti is head and shoulders above the rest. Good football is good football, and she is enjoyable to watch.

Best player in the league but doesn’t get the votes as she is in a arse side

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »
Coaches votes:

Richmond v Adelaide

9 Monique Conti (RICH)
9 Chelsea Biddell (ADEL)
6 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
3 Tessa Lavey (RICH)
3 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)

https://www.womens.afl/news/102347?_ga=2.248800647.1284796830.1654439057-224749430.1603381344