Author Topic: Hardwick's media conference 11-5-23 / Dusty back in Tigers' midfield mix: Dimma  (Read 769 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's presser today:

WATCH: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1327599/we-need-some-pressure-on-the-ball-there-s-no-doubt-about-that-hardwick

--------------------------------------------------------

‘The way we want to go’: Dustin Martin firmly back in Tigers midfield mix

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says his side is beginning to look more like itself as he makes some positional adjustments.

Ed Bourke
HeraldSun
May 11, 2023 - 11:56AM

Richmond star Dustin Martin is set to be redeployed as a weapon in the middle of the ground after glimpses of his blistering best against West Coast and as the Tigers look to kickstart their stuttering season.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist was sent to nine centre bounces – more than twice as many as any other game this season – and racked up a season-high 27 disposals and four tackles as the Tigers got back on the winner’s list.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said he was happier with the share of midfield time between his star players who all hit the scoreboard too, with Martin, Jacob Hopper, Tim Taranto, Shai Bolton and Dion Prestia combining for nine goals between them, adding bite to Richmond’s offence.

That extra scoring power will be needed on Friday night as Richmond tackles reigning premiers Geelong, the highest scoring team in the AFL this season.

“I think it’s something we probably got a little bit out of whack – (last week) was probably a bit more reflective of the way we want to go,” Hardwick said.

“I think (Martin) and Shai (Bolton) were in and out at various stages, and Dion probably was as well … what we’ve probably got is a great contingent of mids that are all good centre bounce players, we’ve just got to make sure we get the mix right at various stages to make sure they all get their fill.

“I thought (Martin) was really good, defensively he was solid, got some shots on goal too, which was important, got some reward for his hard work … hopefully he continues the form this week.”

Hardwick said the cleaner ball use in their forward half was the difference from the Tigers’ frustrating opening seven rounds.

“It’s probably been there, it just hasn’t been as clean. We’ve been pretty solid in two facets of the game, the contested nature of the game and the defensive nature of the game,” he said.

“But offensively we’ve been a little bit clunky, and I probably thought from about halfway through the second quarter we started to look a bit more Richmond-like.

“We’ve had I think 15 players go through that forward half … we haven’t quite had the stability of that line intact and it does provide challenges along the way with our connection.”

He said former captain Trent Cotchin would return against Geelong on Friday night after he was managed against the Eagles, but Ivan Soldo would remain out as he battles plantar fasciitis.

Fellow ruckman Toby Nankervis was an outside chance to return in round 10, while Josh Gibcus’ comeback through the VFL had been delayed for at least a week due to “discomfort” in his hamstring, Hardwick said.

The Tigers coach praised co-captain Dylan Grimes’ efforts in defence this season after the 31-year-old signed a new deal to remain with the club for 2024.

“Dylan’s been an outstanding contributor for our footy club and will continue for the next 12 to 18 months, which is really important,” Hardwick said.

“He’s a premiership player and been a long-time servant of our footy club … he’s held the fort down there which has been fantastic. He’ll get better once we get a few troops around him.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-way-we-want-to-go-dustin-martin-firmly-back-in-tigers-midfield-mix/news-story/b957bd074a369750afb483551d2bc809

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Please leave dusty in the midfield for the rest of the season. We have no good field kicks in the middle otherwise. On top of that look at Pendlebury and Sidebottom. If we don’t flog dusty there’s no reason why he can’t play the majority of the game in the middle

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Oh Damien genius. Who would have thought this was a good idea.
Go Tigers!

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
press conferences are a joke have been for years

You can't hear the journos questions, just the answers

Ridiculous for a multi billion dollar business like the AFL

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Dimma clutching at straws
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.