Author Topic: What new assistant coach Chris Newman likes about the young Tiger core (SEN)  (Read 851 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond assistant coach Chris Newman's interview on SEN this morning:

LISTEN HERE: https://megaphone.link/NTETP7302404747

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT NEW RICHMOND ASSISTANT NEWMAN LIKES ABOUT THE YOUNG TIGER CORE

By Paddy Sinnott
SEN
20 December 2023

Former Richmond great and new Tigers assistant coach Chris Newman has admitted that he is impressed with the progression of the young players at Punt Road.

Newman captained the Tigers for four seasons amongst his 268 matches at the club, and now returns under Adem Yze as a midfield coach after coaching the Box Hill Hawks in the VFL, a stint which included the 2018 Premiership.

As the club shifts to a new era after the departure of legends such as Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin, developing the youth will be a main focus for the next few seasons.

However, Newman is bullish about the upside of the young core, flagging the delayed return of more senior personnel as handy for him to be able to understand the players he is more unfamiliar with.

“That was one thing that I was really excited about, there was some talent on their list that I haven’t seen a lot of,” he told SEN Mornings.

“But getting there and getting to know some of these players and working with them, I think that’s the beauty of the staggered start; some of the more experienced players start a couple of weeks after the first to fourth year players.

“You do get that one-to-two-week period where you can work quite closely with them and get to know them.”

Newman added that he was blown away by the young group’s professionalism, particularly in the absence of the older players.

“I was really impressed with the standard of training that they were able to bring to the table in the first couple of weeks, without the senior presence,” he said.

“And also just their drive and want to get better; you always want the younger guys to have that driven approach to be able to grow and get the most out of themselves, and that’s certainly one thing that’s impressed me with this young crew.”

The Tigers now enter a Christmas break, but will return to training in early January.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/12/20/what-new-richmond-assistant-newman-likes-about-the-young-tiger-core/