Author Topic: The glaring discrepancy between Richmond and North Melbourne (SEN)  (Read 509 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The glaring discrepancy between Richmond and North Melbourne

Andrew Slevison
SEN
10 Aug 2024

There is a glaring discrepancy between North Melbourne and Richmond.

It centres around the AFL Coaches’ Association Champion Player of the Year voting for season 2024 and the age demographic of both sides.

So far this season the Kangaroos have had 13 different players poll coaches votes while the bottom-of-the-ladder Tigers have had 12.

Of North’s 13 vote getters, the eldest is Aidan Corr at 30 and youngest is Harry Sheezel and Colby McKercher at 19. The average age is 23.5.

Of Richmond’s 12 vote getters, the eldest is Dustin Martin (now retired) at 33 and youngest are Ben Miller and Noah Balta (24 going on 25). The average age is 27.8.

Footy great Malcolm Blight believes these numbers are damning for Adem Yze’s Tigers who are well and truly in rebuild mode.

“North Melbourne have had 13 players who have received votes so far this year,” Blight said on SEN’s Sportsday SA.

“Richmond have had 12, but I can guarantee you now that the age of the Richmond list would be twice the age of the North Melbourne list.

His co-host David Wildy: “There’s 10 premiership players that have got votes, there’s not one kid.

“Harry Sheezel has got 44 votes and he’s only 19 still. Then there’s George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher, Charlie Comben, Tom Powell.

“Zane Duursma and Will Phillips haven’t figured but they’ve all been good kids.”

Blight added: “Jackson Archer has won the Rising Star. So he’s another one.

“I’ve counted up about seven of them and none for Richmond.

“Like most teams who have that great run, like the great Brisbane teams… we’ve seen it all happen before.

“I can’t see Richmond getting out of this between for five and seven years, a bit like North Melbourne and Adelaide are doing right now.”

The coaches votes are clearly not the be-all and end-all but it is a decent guide as to where each list might be at.

The 22under22 squad named by the AFLPA this week also tells a tale.

North had five players included in the 40-player squad - Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Tom Powell, Paul Curtis and Colby McKercher - which was the most of any team.

The Tigers had none. Damning for a side at the start of their rebuild.

When the two clubs met last weekend, North ran out 13-point winners despite having an average age of 24 to Richmond’s 26 years and one month. The Roos’ side averaged 72.5 games, while the Tigers averaged 114.5.

North had 10 players with less than 50 games of experience. Richmond had just seven.

Yes, only one spot separates these two clubs on the ladder but it feels like the Roos are more advanced than and tracking ahead of the Tigers.

It is understandable to a point considering North’s rebuild has been going for longer and the kids have had more experience than those at the Tigers who waited in the wings during the premiership era.

Should Richmond load up in the next couple of drafts to stockpile a group of youngsters? It might be the way to go given the Tasmanian team is entering the league in 2028.

For North fans, there is definitely enough to be excited about with a talented group of youngsters all playing together frequently and building a strong foundation for the future.

North Melbourne’s 2024 coaches votes pollers
(In descending age order)

Aidan Corr (30)
Nick Larkey (26)
Cam Zurhaar (26)
Jy Simpkin (26)
Luke Davies-Uniacke (25)
Tristan Xerri (25)
Bailey Scott (24)
Charlie Comben (23)
Tom Powell (22)
Jackson Archer (21)
George Wardlaw (20)
Harry Sheezel (19)
Colby McKercher (19)

Average age: 23.5

Richmond’s 2024 coaches votes pollers

Dustin Martin (33)
Dion Prestia (31)
Nathan Broad (31)
Nick Vlastuin (30)
Toby Nankervis (29)
Jayden Short (28)
Daniel Rioli (27)
Liam Baker (26)
Tim Taranto (26)
Shai Bolton (25)
Ben Miller (24)
Noah Balta (24)

Average age: 27.8

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/08/09/the-glaring-discrepancy-between-richmond-and-north-melbourne/

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The glaring discrepancy between Richmond and North Melbourne (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 09:15:36 AM »
What a stuffen stupid article.

Norf have had so many AFL sponsored free picks and Woodem Spoons in the last 5 years of course they are going to have more young talent than us

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 09:48:41 AM »
Then we should ask for a priority pick!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 10:45:36 AM »
The problem with the article is of course it’s not an apples vs apple’s comparison.
Norf have won 15 games in their 5 seasons. Yep, that’s right. 15 pathetic wins in over 100 games of footy.
So, they are almost rebuilding a rebuild.
The better comparison for me is with the Lions of 2015 when they lost all of those young players and started again. I think their rebuild has been super impressive and they really started to push from 2019.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 12:02:12 PM »
Their rebuild started in the middle of our dynasty. We were busy winning flags when N0rt were drafting Will Phillips, Tarryn Thomas and trading for Jared Polec and Jaspar Pittard.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 10:35:41 PM »
Is there a discrepency really lol.

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 10:42:55 PM »
This is just a silly article
They started their rebuild during the last ice age .

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2024, 07:28:04 AM »
Comparison should be between us and Geelong. N0rt should be compared to Hawthorn.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do